Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM

48 posts, read 123,029 times

Advertisements

My most annoying home feature lately: Wet Bars. I find them so tacky looking, plopped down practically in the middle of a living room with a ten foot mirror behind it like Donald Trump's penthouse suite, except that the kitchen sink is 20 whole feet away.

A lot of 70s ranchers I've seen in DFW have wet bars, why is that? If I bought a house with a wet bar I would seal it up with drywall and try to hide it, but in fact realtors prominentyl and proudly list it as an outstanding feature in a home.

What architectural style or fad makes you wonder, ...what in the world???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,212 times
I agree with the wet bar thing. some homes even have morning kitchens in the master bedroom. ICK! I hate popcorn ceilings and textured walls. just a thought, shouldnt this be in the home and garden forum?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM

48 posts, read 123,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
I agree with the wet bar thing. some homes even have morning kitchens in the master bedroom. ICK! I hate popcorn ceilings and textured walls. just a thought, shouldnt this be in the home and garden forum?

taydev, oops! I think you're right, but I don't know how to move it or if it's even possible for a poster to do so- any board monitors on here who are reading?

and I agree about the popcorn ceilings! I've never heard of a morning kitchen in the bedroom.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
In some new construction, I am seeing pillars added to supposedly separate kitchens from dining areas, or..in a great room, to separate the dining from the living/den area.

Most of them are just butt-ugly and in the way! It's something else to vacuum around or run into, and I've rejected homes on this alone.

Ditto on the space-wasting, useless wet bars!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
In some new construction, I am seeing pillars added to supposedly separate kitchens from dining areas, or..in a great room, to separate the dining from the living/den area.

Most of them are just butt-ugly and in the way! It's something else to vacuum around or run into, and I've rejected homes on this alone.

Ditto on the space-wasting, useless wet bars!
Yeah.....anything faux Roman makes me turn around and walk out. The Doric columns etc.

Growing up in the 70s I remember when all those wet bars were the thing to have and all my friend's parents would compete to see who had the best bar in their house. Thousands of dollars of liquor was sitting in some of those bars just for show. Now days some of the new houses you see have the built-in wine cellars which I guess is the same thing. A way to display your "sophistication" and "taste"

At least it's easier to rip things out than put them in.

What I hate are all the little home office desks that they like to put in hallway nooks. I see this a lot on new houses. Some sort of built-in desk sitting there in a wide spot in the hall. I have kids and I want my home office in a room with a door on it and a window. I want to spread papers out. I don't want to work on some decorative little desk in the hallway. Use the space as a broom closet or something not a desk.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,520,415 times
Love those wet bars. Great to have in the Texas basement next to the pool table and slot machine.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM

55 posts, read 209,928 times
I agree with kreeyax! It's nice to have a wet bar in the gameroom for entertaining. We don't even drink alcohol, but it's a nice little area to serve snacks and beverages.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Have a few drinks and you won't care what it looks like.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
We had a wet bar in one our homes. Thank goodness it was not one of those open kind, but a separate little room with just a window that opened into the living room. I just bought a big mirror and covered up the window, and used the bar as a big walk in storage closet.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,945 times
What I don't understand, and please don't be offended if you have a home like this, are all these homes that I've noticed in the past few years being built with red brick/white stone. I'm like uhhhhh, who thought this was attractive? It's like wearing red stilletos with a brown poly-blend skirt, black tank top and faux fur boa. In what world do those two materials go together and look aesthetically pleasing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas