Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
About 900$ / month for an appartment, that seems a little bit expensive for me, but I guess wages are higher than in France..
The wages are enough to support yourself with a decent rent.

But, what is your ideal monthly payment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The wages are enough to support yourself with a decent rent.

But, what is your ideal monthly payment?
700-800 would seem correct, but I guess 900£ is ok too for an US big city
it's certainly worst in LA

Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
700-800 would seem correct, but I guess 900£ is ok too for an US big city
it's certainly worst in LA
Haha, I pay $750 a month for my apartment in Austin.
I know for a fact that you can find some great places for that same range in Houston. I know for a fact that you can.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
You should look into apartments or lofts, they generally tend to be far less expensive to condos in nearly every city in USA.
The above quote is essentially what I was going to say. Unless you are familiar pretty familiar with Houston it will be difficult to make an informed purchase upon first arrival and you may get stuck with an asset that feels a lot more like an anchor. Definitely consider renting for at least six months.

You can easily find an apartment that meets your needs in the Galleria/Greenway area in the $800 range. Probably wouldn't be embarrassed to have a date over either.

What part of town will you be working in? Are you a Schlumberger expat?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:
I live in Sugar Land, the condos/lofts in Town Square are 350K minimum I believe. You can get a better deal in uptown near the Galleria.

It varies greatly! Some can be inexpensive and some can be overly expensive.
Are you kidding me? Totally, completely false. Town Center condos start at like 220K-230K, I believe. They are very reasonable. IMHO, condos are fairly affordable in Houston, it's the maintenance fee I think what deters some people. Also, in Houston, high-rise residential is a concept that is relatively new to the area.

Proof:
http://search.har.com/engine/2299-Lo...AR96689548.htm

Downtown Houston condo's are fairly reasonable IMHO as well. You can get a condo for way less than 350K there as well. I've seen studios there for as low as 120K. 2016 Main in Midtown close by, has stuff in the 70's

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Houston/711-main-st-2br:5d5f1e4efecbb0c04b3196b730be3b27;_ylt=AsAksnTq WfQLgjxvJtHKqwpn47Q (broken link)

(Grew up in SL, Clements '02 grad, have numerous friends that live in Town Center.)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 05-13-2010 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Added link for proof.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Are you kidding me? Totally, completely false. Town Center condos start at like 220K-230K, I believe. They are very reasonable. IMHO, condos are fairly affordable in Houston, it's the maintenance fee I think what deters some people. Also, in Houston, high-rise residential is a concept that is relatively new to the area.

Proof:
2299 Lone Star Dr 230, Sugar Land, TX 77479 - HAR.com

Downtown Houston condo's are fairly reasonable IMHO as well. You can get a condo for way less than 350K there as well. I've seen studios there for as low as 120K. 2016 Main in Midtown close by, has stuff in the 70's

711 Main St, #2br, Houston TX 77002 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Houston/711-main-st-2br:5d5f1e4efecbb0c04b3196b730be3b27;_ylt=AsAksnTq WfQLgjxvJtHKqwpn47Q - broken link)

(Grew up in SL, Clements '02 grad, have numerous friends that live in Town Center.)
I graduated in 2008 from Clements.

One of my friends has a place there also but his was 320K when he got it in 2007... I guess he got a bigger place than normal or something...

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I graduated in 2008 from Clements.

One of my friends has a place there also but his was 320K when he got it in 2007... I guess he got a bigger place than normal or something...
Right on. Good to hear you're from SL, too. The 3 bedrooms are about that much, I believe, but the 2 BR's are a tad cheaper.

If one shops around, there are good condo deals all across H-Town. Lots of people in the Houston metro are turned off by living in the city (i.e. Downtown, Midtown), so living in the center of town isn't necessarily what's most in demand which I suppose keeps condos fairly reasonable.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Right on. Good to hear you're from SL, too. The 3 bedrooms are about that much, I believe, but the 2 BR's are a tad cheaper.

If one shops around, there are good condo deals all across H-Town. Lots of people in the Houston metro are turned off by living in the city (i.e. Downtown, Midtown), so living in the center of town isn't necessarily what's most in demand which I suppose keeps condos fairly reasonable.
It's reversing trend now too. Downtown is trying very hard to revitalize and get more people to come, and it's working out for them too. More people are living in downtown now.

But still no where near the amount of people as they could have wanted. Houston is mostly residential with suburban type feel, or apartment complexes. Condos and Lofts are just now beginning to come into demand.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
It's reversing trend now too. Downtown is trying very hard to revitalize and get more people to come, and it's working out for them too. More people are living in downtown now.

But still no where near the amount of people as they could have wanted. Houston is mostly residential with suburban type feel, or apartment complexes. Condos and Lofts are just now beginning to come into demand.
Exactly what I'm saying. Point is, a condo in Houston is nowhere near the cost of a comparable one in SF or NYC.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I'm saying. Point is, a condo in Houston is nowhere near the cost of a comparable one in SF or NYC.
Oh definitely no where close to NYC, Miami, Chicago, and San Francisco. Those are VERY expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas