Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 25,291 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are (more than likely) relocating to Toledo next summer for my husband's job. It is for a good job and the move is something we look forward to. We've lived in a lot of cities in a lot of states - we know there are good and bad points to every city. This job will put us near family. We have young children and we would like to find a family oriented neighborhood. We actually have 3 toddlers, and a fourth on the way this spring. So we will need a house that can hold all of us!

What does anyone know about Ottawa Hills? Or the Sanctuary in Perrysburg? We really would like to be involved in the community and around others our age with young children as well. We would also like good public schools as we will have children attending them soon! And as I said, we are just learning about Toledo. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM

43 posts, read 113,225 times
Ottawa Hills is an older, in-city suburb. Great school system, lots of huge houses, but it seems to have many older people living there - Dr.s, lawyers, etc. Perrysburg may be more what you are looking for in regards to younger families. Perrysburg is an outer suburb with a mix of newer housing and older neighborhoods. It also has a nice 'downtown' area near the river. Perrysburg also contains the usual suburbia stuff- big shopping centers, strip malls. Traffic can be sticky at rush hour, but not too bad. You might want to check out Maumee also. Kind of the same setup as Perrysburg. Both burbs seem like a fairly nice place to raise kids.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM

154 posts, read 606,259 times
Ottawa Hills is getting ready to shoot their deer. Maybe. Ottawa Hills is a fine place to live. Perrysburg and Maumee are nice too. I don't know anything about the Sanctuary. Most of the Toledo suburbs are fine and so is southern Michigan. They're usually better than Toledo.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM

896 posts, read 1,854,161 times
From my experience, from when I used to work for a lawn care company, The Sanctuary to me seems like any other newer subdivision on the outskirts of Perrysburg. If you like the common, large, suburban style homes, its basically like that. I dont personally care for that style of living, but it might work for you. If you lived there you wouldnt be too far away from Rt. 25 and the businesses there, including a Bassetts grocery store, and a whole outdoor/walkable retail complex called Levis Commons, which you might enjoy. Most of the typical big box businesses you might require, such as Walmart, Target, Meijer, Kroger, Kohls, Home Depot, etc are out on Rt. 20 off of I-75, but thats just a little bit of a drive, nothing major. Traffic can kind of be a pain, but whatever.

As far as the family aspect of any of the subdivisions on River Rd (like the Sanctuary) goes, you would have to elaborate on what exactly you value out of a neighborhood as being "family friendly." Im certain theres rarely any crime and that its perfectly safe there. Theres absolutely nothing for your kids to do in that area (parks, playgrounds, etc) but thats might not be of any concern to you. If you enjoy being within close proximity of your childrens school, youre not really that close, absolutely not within walking or biking distance, but probably only a few mins drive. Perrysburg has some of the best public schools in the area though, so thats definitely a plus for you.

Like they said before me, Ottawa Hills is a separate town, thats kinda surrounded by Toledo. I think Ottawa Hills is aesthetically superior to any other suburb, it almost feels like the town is one big park. The roads are all curvy and its all completely wooded and the Ottawa River runs through it. It can definitely be expensive though, and it is an older community. Its not really a place where 30 somethings look to settle down, I dont think. But the Ottawa Hills schools are excellent, the neighborhoods 100% safe for being in close proximity to lesser areas of Toledo, youre right next to the University of Toledo for whatever that might be worth, and close to the Franklin Park Mall which is the main shopping center of Toledo.

I, personally, would suggest maybe looking to see what homes are available in Downtown Perrysburg. I think youre kids, as well as you guys as a family would enjoy the proximity of amenities to you, living in historic Perrysburg. Theres lots of beautiful old homes, and while im not expert on their prices or availability, I would suggest checking that out. Theres a Churchills (a nice grocery store) right downtown, not to mention as your children grow and mature they could walk to school, and to the parks, and to the library. Your husband and you could walk right downtown in the evening and have a few drinks or dinner at one of the several nice restaurants/bars or the whole family could walk uptown when theres little festivals going on. Its all a matter of what appeals to you. Im just a young adult in my 20s and cant afford a home there really but I definitely picture that as an ideal life once I have children and am more established.

Good luck!

Last edited by Tobias C; 10-11-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,768 times
My husband and I just purchased a home in Ottawa Hills, we have a 5 yr ld and 2 yr old...excellent school system, better than most private schools. There are alot of young famillies around us. It depends on what type of home would suit you, do you prefer the charm of an older home...or the more modern style which you would find in a sub-division? Most of the homes in Ottawa Hills are brick, an on a wood lot. It just depends on your particular taste (: I personally don't care for the "cookie-cutter" homes you find in sub-divisions. Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,115 times
Ottawa Hills is nice, and has a great school system. Many moms are stay at home moms, which lends itself well to being involved in both the schools and the community. Also, other areas are Perrysburg, Sylvania and Oregon...all are good areas and provide excellent opportunities for your kids and yourself to become involved.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM

227 posts, read 626,424 times
I am not impressed with the sterile atmosphere in the Sanctuary, personally. I would go more for Ottawa Hills...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWM View Post
My husband and I just purchased a home in Ottawa Hills, we have a 5 yr ld and 2 yr old...excellent school system, better than most private schools. There are alot of young famillies around us. It depends on what type of home would suit you, do you prefer the charm of an older home...or the more modern style which you would find in a sub-division? Most of the homes in Ottawa Hills are brick, an on a wood lot. It just depends on your particular taste (: I personally don't care for the "cookie-cutter" homes you find in sub-divisions. Good Luck!
Glad to hear that! It would be lovely to see Ottawa Hills "cycle" with good new families taking the place of older people retiring and moving away.

One thing a lot of people do not know: The newest suburbs (of virtually any city), even though they may be full of kids, are not good for them. Most have deed restrictions that restrict (or even forbid) outdoor play, and are very car-dependent, both (by design) keeping children indoors.

The Detroit area has a big problem - inner suburbs that 10 years ago offered solid homes, within walking distance of local stores, that looked like they may "cycle" into nice communities for young families mixed with empty nester homes, were hit hard by the sub-prime mortgage boom/bust and have become disadvantaged inner-city communities instead. Now there are no really good communities in the Detroit area to start a family, just Mcmansions for the old and rich and the disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Glad to hear that! It would be lovely to see Ottawa Hills "cycle" with good new families taking the place of older people retiring and moving away.

One thing a lot of people do not know: The newest suburbs (of virtually any city), even though they may be full of kids, are not good for them. Most have deed restrictions that restrict (or even forbid) outdoor play, and are very car-dependent, both (by design) keeping children indoors.

The Detroit area has a big problem - inner suburbs that 10 years ago offered solid homes, within walking distance of local stores, that looked like they may "cycle" into nice communities for young families mixed with empty nester homes, were hit hard by the sub-prime mortgage boom/bust and have become disadvantaged inner-city communities instead. Now there are no really good communities in the Detroit area to start a family, just Mcmansions for the old and rich and the disadvantaged neighborhoods.
I find that hard to believe. Maybe if you're talking about Detroit itself and the areas right next to it, but it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to commute to Detroit from Ann Arbror and Ypsilanti, or even from someplace like Monroe.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,968 times
AA is expensive and Ypsi may have some safety issues, but much of Monroe would actually fit the bill nicely. The commute would be reasonable if one's job is in the Downriver subs, but the price of gas can be a doozy if the job (like many) is in Oakland County.

St. Clair Shores, Southgate, Wyandotte and Trenton seem fine now - predicting the long-term health of these cities is harder to assess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo