Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times

Advertisements

I am interested in info on First Solar in Perrysburg--trying to convince hubby to apply for an IT job with them but other than the qualifications online I can't find any details on benefits, pay, atmosphere etc...

We used to live in Pittsburgh--is the weather comparable? We don't mind cold winters/snow. We are really struggling with the HEAT in NC. We had 90+ days of 90+ temps and lots of heat indexes with humidity over 100 and it was miserable. I have 3 pale red heads in the family of 4 and they can't handle the intense sun/heat.

Also most of our winter weather in NC is ice and a pain to get around in the mornings before the sun starts to melt it. We did get some snow this past year and everything shuts down. I am guessing that being a northern city the municipalities are used to prepping for inclement weather?

Thanks for any help! I have found a lot of good information on the forums about neighborhoods and schools. The Toledo area seems to have all the amenities we would like/need for entertainment and shopping. Other than not having Major League sports teams--we would be fine. Compared to our current town --there is a LOT more. We have to drive an hour for a lot things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM

154 posts, read 606,188 times
Winters are cold and sometimes snowy. We get freezing rain and there are numerous accidents, but the city eventually clears the roads. Spring is wet with frequent temperature changes. Flash floods are possible. Summer is usually hot and humid and sometimes wet with numerous thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings. Fall is cool and fairly dry. A lot of people regard NW Ohio as only having two seasons, hot and cold.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:39 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
I think the weathers probably comparable to Pittsburgh. It gets into the 90s here in the summer but never for 90 days. An average summer day here is probably like 80 - 85 im guessing. Whatever winters you remember from Pittsburgh, be prepared for again. Lots of snow, ice, and car accidents. If youre a sensible driver youll do fine though. And we do see our share of tornados around here as well.

And I completely agree. It somehow always seems to be just HOT or COLD here. Thats an exaggeration but sometimes it seems like it. One thing I know for sure is it can be like a high of 58 one day and be 80 the next.

You get a thorough sampling of all the seasons here though.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 AM

The weather sounds.....interesting! Is it very windy being near the water? I am used to the weather changing drastically here in NC. High temps seem reasonable for summer. We were so hot and miserable this summer we barely went outside. Super bright sun plus heat indexes with humidity 100+ feeling degrees.

I am having trouble finding too many negatives on the area. Schools seem good (I am sure they are better than my local southern podunk town), plenty of entertainment, parks, trails, shopping/dining choices seem above adequate--I have to drive an hour to Charlotte if I want stuff beyond my big box store for specialty items. I pointed out to hubby that we could eliminate or nip in the bud the preschooler's southern accents if we move back up above the Mason Dixon line.

So nobody knows anything about First Solar?

thanks for the help so far!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,730 times
Here are a few sources about First Solar:
Describes first solar being rated one of the top ten most innovative companies Most Innovative Companies - 2010: First Solar | Fast Company
Here is an article and video about the growing solar industry in Toledo
Toledo reinvents itself as a solar-power innovator - USATODAY.com

The first solar plant is located about 10 miles outside of downtown Toledo and I believe there are about 550 workers at the plant, possibly more. They recently announced that they would be expanding production, so hopefully that means more jobs for Toledo. Summers are pretty nice here, much more comfortable than the 100 degree weather that you would get in NC. I think that it is windy when you are near the lake, but most neighborhoods are not located right on the lake (which is a plus during winter!).

Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the articles CZB. I will pass them along to hubby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: