Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 62,739 times

Advertisements

Hi
This is my first post...I will be joining UT and am in desparate serach of good 1-2 bedroom apartment.Can you guys please suggest some nice areas...I saw this forum and was kind of scared ..as I read mostly scary things abour toledo...is toledo really so scary..I will be moving from chicago so..I understand it's a small city..but isnt it safe atall??
how r westridge apartment and country clubs... plz help me in finalzing beacause most of the apartment ratings sites has bad reviews for rest of the apartments like deer run field..

I request to all u experienced people ...which is the safest area to stay near ut....
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
I vistied some friends near UT, and they lived in some apartment complex that was in Toledo in like a suburban area that was developed 30 years ago or more. It was alright. It's not that all of Toledo is scary, its just that people with a higher income, whom are more likely to look at this website would not recommend any or many areas in Toledo to live in.

However, as a student there are many apartments near there that you will find are decently safe, just there will be a wide variety of people around you to put it nicely. I have visited a few times and wouldnt pick the Toledo region of Ohio for myself, but its a good school and your there for an education.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 PM

thanks streetcreed.. for your prompt reply...do u know how r wetridge apartments and countryclub???

Old 02-21-2007, 07:14 PM

33 posts, read 197,541 times
its just that people with a higher income, whom are more likely to look at this website would not recommend any or many areas in Toledo to live in.

Exactly. I could not have said it better myself.

Toledo actually has the LOWEST murder/rape rate of any major city in Ohio. Look it up on city-data if you don't believe me. While some parts of the city certainly have a drug, gang, or prostitution problem, there are LOTS of friendly and safe areas in Toledo too. Toledo has a small police force for a city its size, and the fact that violent crime rates are low speaks volumes about fine residents of the city. Even without a large police presence, the city manages to keep violent crime to a minimum (by American standards). Toledo was a leading city for Block Watch, and as a result, there are many strong neighborhood organizations. Elizabeth Pierson left behind quite a legacy...

So no, Toledo is not scary, but it is different. You can get away with some things in Toledo that you can't get away with in other cities, especially when it comes to drugs or prostitution. Toledo is likely one of America's largest hubs of illegal drug trade (due to Canada, Detroit, I-80/90, and I-75) and sex trade (due to lax law enforcement and a weaker economy), BUT that doesn't mean the city is dangerous. In fact, I find it safer and friendlier than most cities its size, and the violent crime stats back that up.

The only areas that I would honestly say are "unsafe" are the Vistula and LaGrange neighborhoods (due bigger drug trade and gangs) and a few sections of East Toledo. La Viva has a fair amount of crime too...still, as long as you're not working as a pimp or dealing drugs, you should be fine.

If you already have a good job lined up or are a student, you more than likely won't be living in any of the neighborhoods I listed above. For more middle class urban living, you'd probably pick the Old West End, Warehouse District, Beverly, or something along those lines. Those neighborhoods are stable, have great housing stock, and have low crime.

...or you'd pick a suburb outside the city limits, which I don't recommend unless it's Maumee or the older part of Perrysburg and Rossford...

Most of Toledo's suburbs suck, especially the snobbier, upper class ones. I personally find Sylvania, Bedford, and Ottawa Hills horribly boring places to live even if they are crimeless...though no student could afford to live there anyway.

Coming from Chicago (not sure what part), you probably will think Toledo's ghettos are quite friendly by comparison. Like I said, there is a good amount of drug trade, but as far as murders and rapes go, Toledo is safer than most large cities.

However, as a student there are many apartments near there that you will find are decently safe, just there will be a wide variety of people around you to put it nicely.

Certainly, though the area immediately adjacent to UT is mostly middle and upper class. Back when my dad lived in the UT area, he lived in Old Orchard, which was a very safe neighborhood with an ornate housing stock. As far as I can tell, not much has changed. The area still looks solid.

To tell the truth, the one thing I like about UT is the wide variety of students that go there- rich, poor, middle class, black, white, Arab, Latino, etc. It is certainly one of the most diverse colleges I've ever visited. From what I've seen, Michigan is the only other large university in the Midwest that matches that level of diversity.

Last edited by C-Dawg; 02-21-2007 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM

33 posts, read 197,541 times
richirich, if I were attending UT, I would look at rental options in the Old Orchard neighborhood or the apartments within walking distance of the main campus. You would be living with a lot of other undergrads in those areas, which will make it more fun.

Deer Field Run sucks. It's very far away from campus and pretty boring.

Have you checked out Old Towne University Square? Those apartments look AMAZING and you'd be very close to campus. You could probably walk to most classes.

Last edited by Yac; 02-22-2007 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Link to a realtor site. Edited.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM

thanks pilliod Njaim..for such a detailed post...it was really helpful....I will def.check out the ones you mentioned...yeh...that is was even I was wondering coz I know chicago has very high crime rate..but the city too is really big...so may be its the size vs crime ratio ..that is almost same for all cities ..I mean I totally agree with u every cities have their own shady areas...as in chicago it's the sourthen part....any way...I was interested in 2 bed room apartment....and wanted all amenities near by..like shopping...food..grocery..near by..so I was leaned towards..westridge....do u have any opinions about those apartmnet....thanks...........

Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 16,778 times
Hey RichiRich.

First off, Toledo isn't really that bad of a city... with any city you will have bad areas- but as long as you avoid them- you'll be fine. I don't know how old you are... but it is probably best to stay near the ut campus- because that is where most of the students will be. I agree with Pilliod- you should definitely look into Old Towne Apartments
(http://www.toledostudenthousing.com) (broken link).
From what I hear from friends/students - they are definitely really nice. If you are a grad student and prefer to live a little farther away from campus in your own apartment I would suggest looking:

The Cloisters- a little farther from UT, but a nice place
http://www.thecloisterstownhomes.com

I know you mentioned Country club apartments... from what I know- they aren't too bad... but if you can afford to pay a little more- the apartments right next to them... Country Club apartments at inverwest are also really nice!

One of my friends lives in an apartment complex off of McCord Rd near Bancroft. I unfortunately can't think of the name at the moment... but I'll find out for you if you are interested. It's a really nice complex. She is actually a grad student at UT's Health Campus and I know that a there is a crowd of UT students living there.

Hope this helps! If you need to know anything else about the area... don't hesitate to ask!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM

ms165202....thanks...actually from various sites like rent.com....and etc..one cant get the real picture...as everybody brags their trumpet...any way..thanks....I inquired...olde town...I called them..and they have rates /room..so in 3 bedroom...u can rent 1-2 bed room and pay per room..actually i was more into...2 bedroom types seperate...apartment...I have afamily but will be living therir alone..and family will visit me at weekends...so wanted privacy..if u remember the name of other..post it...I selected westridge and cc coz of the location..it's near every requirement...which r the areas unsafe..in toledo...any advices/precautions...thanks again

Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 AM

6 posts, read 28,143 times
You're getting some great advice here, although many of the places mentioned are a little far from campus. So if you want the true experience, you'll want to stay closer.

I think Pilliod gave you the best information in terms of what you are seeking. Toledo's not a bad place, but you would want to be selective in terms of where you live. If you're an artsy person, you may even want to live in the Art District area, called Old West End. Honestly, that's a mixed place of hood and beauty.

If you have any questions specifically, you can feel from to PM me here. As a matter of fact, I think I might PM you, as I'm moving to Chicago this summer and would like some info from you. Talk to you soon!!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM

hey msplusmodel..good for u....anytime..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo