Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,056 times

Advertisements

Grand Rapids Ohio is very small town, but I used to have a 100 or so relatives from there, now all deceased or moved away except for a very few.

So I grew up having trips to Grand Rapids, and going to the Apple Butter Fest during the 80s, I actually because I later lived in HIllsdale MI, and enjoyed small town life--remember wishing mother had never left Grand Rapids Ohio, and I had gotten to grow up there, instead of living in bigger cities, like Wash DC, and then more medium sized ones. Remember the parks, the Maumee River, etc. I used to eat at La Rosa's, and go to antique stores down there. I have many fond memories of the place, I know they in the late 80s and 90s upped things to attract more tourists.

So anyone from there now? Relate to any of this? What is Grand Rapids Ohio like now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
I grew up right down the river in Waterville. Remember Vollmar's Park? My dad's company used to rent it for a company picnic/party in the summer and we'd go there as a family sometimes too....they had some small rides and large picnic grounds. Also...Mary Jane Thurston State Park was on the river and we used to hike the old canal trail and go fishing there. The Apple Butter Festival was always fun too...we went every year. I can just smell the smoke from the apple butter cooking now...... Great memories. Grand Rapids was a cute little town, much like Waterville.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I grew up right down the river in Waterville. Remember Vollmar's Park? My dad's company used to rent it for a company picnic/party in the summer and we'd go there as a family sometimes too....they had some small rides and large picnic grounds. Also...Mary Jane Thurston State Park was on the river and we used to hike the old canal trail and go fishing there. The Apple Butter Festival was always fun too...we went every year. I can just smell the smoke from the apple butter cooking now...... Great memories. Grand Rapids was a cute little town, much like Waterville.
Ah yes I remember Waterville and VOllmarspark. I used to go to this little glass shop, I am talking 70s and 80s and buy little figurines, and go buy fudge and stickers in downtown Waterville. REmember Mary Jane Thurston State Park, and driving by it on way to grandmother's house--she lived nearer to Grand Rapids but bought groceries in Waterville. I have a lot of very fond memories of these areas.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Yep, the House of Glass on the corner of Main St. and Mechanic St. I used to walk uptown (we lived on River Rd.) and get my mom's Mother's Day and birthday gifts every year (not realizing back then how much she hates dusting knick-knacks! LOL). I grew up in the 60's and 70's and had moved down here to SC by '85, so we probably never crossed paths.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Yep, the House of Glass on the corner of Main St. and Mechanic St. I used to walk uptown (we lived on River Rd.) and get my mom's Mother's Day and birthday gifts every year (not realizing back then how much she hates dusting knick-knacks! LOL). I grew up in the 60's and 70's and had moved down here to SC by '85, so we probably never crossed paths.
Ah yeah that was the name. I only have a few of those glass figurines left, they broke over the years, but it was a hobby of mine and my sister. Yeah it is doubtful we crossed paths, I was there in the late 70s the most, and early 80s. Last time I was down in that area was 2005 to see relatives, but had not been in Waterville for a long time except to get gas.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM

87 posts, read 290,470 times
I lived in Findlay for 16 years, and Fremont before that. I used to to take my family to the Apple Butter Festival as well. Grand Rapids in a great small town.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
One of my "favorite" memories of Grand Rapids involved a picnic at the park on the north side of the river at the dam. We had just recently been married and my DW was working full time while I was in college. It was her birthday, so I got a picnic supper around and when she got home from work we went to Grand Rapids, fired up the grill and put the hamburgers on to cook. Just as we were ready to eat, the snow started and then the wind picked up. We got extremely chilled and ended up sick. Hey, It was the end of April. It was supposed to be spring. It was also NW Ohio. That was back in 1973 and we have not gone on a picnic in April since.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Great story....yes, Springtime in OH is totally unpredictable! My brother was born on April 1, 1965 and we had a blizzard on that day! My dad barely got Mom to the hospital in Toledo in time. (of course, the April Fools jokes run rampant about his birthday to this day - lol)

Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusheib View Post
I lived in Findlay for 16 years, and Fremont before that. I used to to take my family to the Apple Butter Festival as well. Grand Rapids in a great small town.
Hey glad to hear it, I got a cousin in Findlay.

It was such a fun event and I remember all the antique stores, I want to make a trip back there, when health improves. Anyone remember the store that had the glass candy counters, it was just like old fashioned general store, they were very long, and you could buy any kind of candy there? I used to buy stickers there too, and loved that store.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
One of my "favorite" memories of Grand Rapids involved a picnic at the park on the north side of the river at the dam. We had just recently been married and my DW was working full time while I was in college. It was her birthday, so I got a picnic supper around and when she got home from work we went to Grand Rapids, fired up the grill and put the hamburgers on to cook. Just as we were ready to eat, the snow started and then the wind picked up. We got extremely chilled and ended up sick. Hey, It was the end of April. It was supposed to be spring. It was also NW Ohio. That was back in 1973 and we have not gone on a picnic in April since.
Oh I been at that park.Wow that sounds like fun, I love picnics, LOL, yeah it will snow in NW Ohio, in April. We had 30 degrees here yesterday in Michigan. I heard there was a snowstorm on the other side of the state!

Hey this is kind of a weird memory too, any of you go to Maumee, I remember going to that old Andersons store, huge store, all the time with relatives, is that STILL THERE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo