Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,180 times

Advertisements

We are under a tornado watch here in SW Florida. I have never been through one of those yet. We do not have a cellar or a storm room or anything like that. I have heard so many different things. I have heard it is better to be on a ground floor than an upper story, as the winds at the bottom of a hurricane are not as strong as higher up. I have heard to put a mattress over you to protect you from anything falling-like the ceiling.

Our first floor of the condo is open-huge patio windows covering the whole wall in the living room. Luckily I have a condo on either side, and am not an end unit. I have a half bath downstairs-just a sink and a toliet in it, but for the 4 (me, hubby, and 2 children) of us to fit in it with a mattress is almost impossible.

My upstairs bathroom is in the middle of the house so it is not close to the front or the back...but wouldn't the roof fly off?

Where would you go if you were me, and there was a tornado heading your way? Luckily for me, I should know about it before hand, I have one of those weather boxes that alert you to any unfavorable condition that you program into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 08:26 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,309 times
Never upstairs. A central room in your home away from exterior walls. The mattress is to cushion falling debris & glass IF it starts flying. A heavy blanket will at least prevent glass cuts.
If no central room you go underneath a table (again the cushion concept) in the center of a room. Most tornadoes in FL are F-0 to F-1's which are bush benders & roof tile poppers. Nowadays your tv weather will have radar & warn you when to take cover. They usually don't sneak up anymore & there's plenty of warning as to exact locations compared to years ago.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
We are under a tornado watch here in SW Florida. I have never been through one of those yet. We do not have a cellar or a storm room or anything like that. I have heard so many different things. I have heard it is better to be on a ground floor than an upper story, as the winds at the bottom of a hurricane are not as strong as higher up. I have heard to put a mattress over you to protect you from anything falling-like the ceiling.

Our first floor of the condo is open-huge patio windows covering the whole wall in the living room. Luckily I have a condo on either side, and am not an end unit. I have a half bath downstairs-just a sink and a toliet in it, but for the 4 (me, hubby, and 2 children) of us to fit in it with a mattress is almost impossible.

My upstairs bathroom is in the middle of the house so it is not close to the front or the back...but wouldn't the roof fly off?

Where would you go if you were me, and there was a tornado heading your way? Luckily for me, I should know about it before hand, I have one of those weather boxes that alert you to any unfavorable condition that you program into it.
I just posted the information below on another forum and have copied and pasted it below.

I have a storm cellar and have a bag ready with flashlights, cell phone, water, and weather alert radio and I high-tail it to the cellar before the storm is directly upon me. Sometimes tornadoes don't form but straight lines winds can rip roofs off houses as well.

You definitely need to have a plan because they can be devastating. If you don't have a basement or cellar, go to the innermost room in the house or a bathroom as long as it isn't on an outside wall. A closet in the center of the house is good too. Cover yourself with pillows and blankets or get in the bathtub and put a matress over it.

If you're out driving, get out of your car and take cover in a ditch or a strong building if one is nearby. Do not go under an overpass. There is some really logical reason why this is but I can't remember exactly what it is. It's something about the wind intensifying under them.

If you live in a mobile home, get out of it.

Just be cautious and don't take them lightly. They do happen, they hurt and kill people, and cause terrible destruction.

We had several in the Dallas-Fort Worth area Friday night, so I'm sorry to say I believe you are all getting the same storm system we had.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,309 times
And if it's any comfort... I sit thru a ton of watches/warnings from march until june here. blechhhhhhhhh! Reason #147 to move out of Ohio Valley asap ha!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:23 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,601 times
I just wonder sometimes with it being that time o year, just like mobile homes how many do you actually think leave, trailers get tore up like a tin can that's a no brainer but for some were are they going to go, by the time that warning comes out most of the time the storm is allready or dang near on top of you, & the car thing are you really going to get out of your car raining cats & dogs, hailing, lightning, then go lay in a half full muddy ditch.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,224,833 times
I had the same worries after moving to NC, just go to a center room or closet that has no windows, even a hallway is good if it is center of the house. Watch on the news channels and the center of a direct hit house is usually still intact. Oh yes, and pray. We are having the same weather in NC right now, it is not easy being as I am from Michigan and used to a basement during severe weather, but being prepared is the best defense.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
And if it's any comfort... I sit thru a ton of watches/warnings from march until june here. blechhhhhhhhh! Reason #147 to move out of Ohio Valley asap ha!

It's the same here in Texas and of course as probably is the case in the Ohio Valley as well, they can hit any time of the year. March through June though are definitely the most nerve-wracking times and several times a week, we can have the threat of severe weather. I hate it!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I just wonder sometimes with it being that time o year, just like mobile homes how many do you actually think leave, trailers get tore up like a tin can that's a no brainer but for some were are they going to go, by the time that warning comes out most of the time the storm is allready or dang near on top of you, & the car thing are you really going to get out of your car raining cats & dogs, hailing, lightning, then go lay in a half full muddy ditch.

Here's my perspective on it. I can hear thunder miles away before a storm ever hits as it wakes me up. With the good coverage the TV has nowadays, there is really no reason to wait. People should be prepared if they know a storm is coming their way. Even if it ends up not being tornadic, it's better to be safe than injured or dead. I'm go to my storm cellar before the storm hits my area. The radar on the TV tells me how close it is. So before the blasted thing is violently churning in the skies, I'm hunkered down in the "bunker."

As far as getting into a ditch.....I always thought the same thing. I'm not sure I wouldn't be too afraid to move. I'd probably stay in the car in a total panic. It's just what the weather guys tell people to do if they are in a car as the car can become an airborne missle; it's safer in a ditch. My only real fear about that would be the lightening and possible flooding. So far, I've never had to leave my car and hope I never will.

There is no way I'd live in a mobile home in a tornado prone area. That's just way too dangerous just in case for some reason one can't escape before the storm is right on top of them.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I had the same worries after moving to NC, just go to a center room or closet that has no windows, even a hallway is good if it is center of the house. Watch on the news channels and the center of a direct hit house is usually still intact. Oh yes, and pray. We are having the same weather in NC right now, it is not easy being as I am from Michigan and used to a basement during severe weather, but being prepared is the best defense.

One reason I want out of Texas is because of the tornadoes and was considering VA, NC, or TN but in the mountain regions. I did tons of research to find out where the tornadoes were few and far between. There are lots of areas where the chance is very low, but from your post, I see you live in NC where they are happening.

I remember one time many years ago before I had my storm cellar, my son and I (my daughter wasn't home) were in the hall. I was acting scared and nervous and that sweet boy (he was about 13 at the time) said to me, "Mom, stop being so scared. Just pray." Well, he quickly got me in control and he and I prayed together. What a great kid and now, a wonderful 30 year old man.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times
I have never experienced a tornado (knock knock ) - the thought scares the hell out of me! - but I have a question - what's the deal with getting in the bathtub??? They even say this for hurricanes...I mean, there's usually a WINDOW in the bathroom - in my case, right above the tub! So wouldn't that be a bad idea?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes