Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,747 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
We have searched over the years for record of a Tornado which struck Huntsville Al in the mid 60's which we lived through. We have a few photos and
about 15 sec of 8mm film of it, and the devastation was pretty impressive Whole blocks were leveled, etc. The funny thing is there seems to be absolutely no record of it! If anyone remembers anything of this we would very much like to hear more, like the date, etc. We guess it was in the fall roughly '64-67' and struck Greenleaf Dr, near Mountain Gap cant understand why there's no record of it. maybe someone here is better at google than us!!
Any help appreciated ,
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Check this link...it may have the one you're referring to...one listed in 1967 with 22 houses destroyed, 46 with major damage, 68 with minor damage, 16 mobile homes destroyed, 4 with major damage, extensive damage reported to cars, power lines, commercial and farm buildings.

NWS Huntsville Madison County Tornado Sort

Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Wow

Wow, I believe you have it!
I remember there were 2 of them days apart with the first being in the middle of the night and much more destruction.. alot for an F2 I suppose I will have to dig up the pictures and movie now!
The elementary school lost alot of its portable classrooms.. our neighbor whose bedroom was on the second floor woke up to sky, took the second floor off and left him there in his bed!
Again, Thanks very much..

Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Double thanks, that was it for sure.. all i needed was that lil piece of info and now I should be able to find more as the following:
Has Huntsville had other winter tornadoes? | Ask Us - al.com - al.com

Old 04-19-2010, 06:49 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
Double thanks, that was it for sure.. all i needed was that lil piece of info and now I should be able to find more as the following:
Has Huntsville had other winter tornadoes? | Ask Us - al.com - al.com
Glad I found it for you. Thanks for the link. There seems to be more fall tornadoes now than in years past...it used to be pretty much a spring thing, but now there are pretty much two tornado seasons.

The worst tornado Huntsville's had since I've been around was one in November, 1989. Killed (depending upon reports) 22-23 people, hurt several hundred. Traveled right down Airport Road destroying so much...looked like a bomb (or several) went off. I spent the night down there searching cars for victims. Turned real cold and spit some snow soon after.

Driftwood, if you're interested, visit the Huntsville subforum of the Alabama forum on City-Data. Lot of interesting people with a good sense of humor.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:47 AM

Default I will

Certainly will stop by the Hunstville subforum and I will do my best to dig up our pics and film of the Tornado.
Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes