Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:25 PM

244 posts, read 920,599 times

Advertisements

Does the TTC have any plans to make the streetcars and/or subway run 24 hours? If so, does it seem like many in the city are in support of this? What are some of the possible problems associated with doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 01:39 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,026 times
Please don't. Otherwise it will be another excuse to raise fare.
Having North America's most expensive public transit should be enough.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM

228 posts, read 696,250 times
24hr service has been proposed, but the main thing that is holding the TTC back is the old signaling system in place. The TTC is replacing the old signaling system (and have been for years) with a new one. The new system will make 24hr service possible.

The Sheppard line (the last line to be built) already have the newer system so 24hr service is possible but the demand for it is really low.

As for streetcars, several routes are 24hr but most use buses instead for blue night routes. The blue night are slightly different than the regular routes and some routes don't have tracks, so buses are used.

The only problems I can see with 24hr service is when maintenance will be done, right now subway maintenance is turning the shut down 3 times a week.

Also operation cost, I don't think there is a high demand for 24hr service, since Toronto is not a 24hr city.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 65,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Also operation cost, I don't think there is a high demand for 24hr service, since Toronto is not a 24hr city.
I can see a lower frequency subway night service not being that expensive to run, especially with the new trains coming to the YUS line that can be automated. Maintenance is facilitated by the fewer trains which would be operated. Toronto isn't truly a 24 hour city yet, but it has plenty of people who work at night and things to do which end after the subway closes.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,226 times
There is 24 hour bus service with the blue lines. They mostly run every half hour. If the demand was high enough that they had to start running them more frequently and they were overflowing with passengers then a case could be made to add the Subway to the mix

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,858 times
With this government, no? Canada has not done the best job when it comes to transit for its large urban centres.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
With this government, no? Canada has not done the best job when it comes to transit for its large urban centres.
Basically the government charges high prices for cars, car insurance and gas, but at the same time doesn't want to invest in public transit, resulting in serious inadequacy and inefficiency. I am just confused what it wants Torontonians to do

As a 2.5M+ large city We either need cheap driving as in Los Angeles and Houston and don't give a damn about subway, or extensive and affordable subway system as in Paris and New York. Vancouver did a much better job

Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
There is 24 hour bus service with the blue lines. They mostly run every half hour. If the demand was high enough that they had to start running them more frequently and they were overflowing with passengers then a case could be made to add the Subway to the mix

I'm not sure they would be quick to change service despite demand. Currently from 6am to 9am Sundays the 320 Yonge runs every 4 minutes to replace the subway.

Most weeks I catch the bus at the beginning of the route and it's always packed with people left waiting on the next bus week in, week out. And at most major stops there is a throng of people waiting to get on! There is't enough space with the currently available service.

And anyway from a cost effective stance wouldn't the Yonge line make sense to run 24 hours? I can't imagine running the buses every 4 minutes to replace the subway service on Sunday mornings is cheaper than a reduced train service. You'd have fewer operators to pay, and more space available for commuters. The city may not be a 24 hour city but there are people who are working 24 hours to keep the place running!

And why not use what you're paying for, since the tracks are already drawing power 24 hours anyway (I imagine they don't flip a switch and 'turn off' the tracks during the downtime do they? They have to run those big orange maintenance cars during that time no?)

Wild musings of a frequent user!

Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 20,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyenneLA View Post
And why not use what you're paying for, since the tracks are already drawing power 24 hours anyway
The tracks are energized, but no power is consumed. You are not paying for anything.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM

It is pretty entertaining for me to see the subway running all sorts of delays ranging from 5 minutes to 90 minutes (2 weeks ago) because of a variety of ridiculous reasons on a weekly basis... for God's sake, the TTC has only 2 simple lines to operate and it already constantly faces so much trouble. It is hard to imagine what the situation will be like if it has 5-8 lines, like a normal city with 5 million population does. Trains running into each other?

Yet they always have the audacity to raise fare, as if it is such a challenging job to watch tokes drop into the fare box. It is just so backwards.

My mother (visiting from a developing country BTW) was shocked when she saw human ticket collectors selling tokens at each station. I had to explain to her: we are in Toronto, where we don't have the technology of smart fare cards like the rest of the modern world. She looked at me with utter sympathy as if asking "I thought you live in a more advanced society."

One more thing extremely funny I'd like to share with you guys: when you buy tokens from a "human collector", the only way they sell the tokens are selling 5. If you want to spend $15 for 6 tokens or $20 for 8 tokens (as the machine does), you will be told that that's not an option. You can only buy 5 for $12.5, it is the ONLY way. Guess that's the only math they can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto