Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

80 posts, read 303,000 times

Advertisements

One comment: You can't compare the transit with a tiny city like Halifax and then conclude it is "amazing". Toronto has a population of 2.5 million, just think about other cities with similar size: Chicago, Paris, Madrid. Toronto's public transit is kind of embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM

195 posts, read 673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
What I miss about Toronto is the diversity. I thought nothing of eating Greek one night, Indian another, Polish, Italian, Ethopian etc.

It goes beyond the food though, it goes to the culture. Toronto is truly multi-cultural where different languages are heard daily and folks are very accepting of those who are different than them (something lacking in Orange County).

Some specific things I miss

Canadian wines at every LCBO
Kensington Market
Chinatown
The Danforth
Good Beer and good fish & chips
Sleeman's Cream Ale
The ability to walk places
The Beaches (where I lived)
Winter
I agree with all of these except for Canadian wine. I would kill to not have to buy wine at the LCBO and to not have 25% of retail space dedicated to the likes of Pelee Island Winery and Jackson-Triggs (yuck)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

236 posts, read 627,871 times
Living in Las Vegas now I really miss;

- The best Roti / Carribean restaurants
- Centre Island
- Film Festival
- Ketchup chips
- Coffee Crisp
- CN Tower sillohette in the background while driving (we have Strateshere tower, but not nearly the same)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post
I agree with all of these except for Canadian wine. I would kill to not have to buy wine at the LCBO and to not have 25% of retail space dedicated to the likes of Pelee Island Winery and Jackson-Triggs (yuck)
You don't have to go to LCBO for wine. There are private wine stores all over the place.
In your area...Google

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Umm no there are not - in Ontario there are Wine Rack stores which only sell local Ontario wine from one or two vineyards and the LCBO -- there are no "private wine" stores except those run by the Canadian vineyards in wine producing areas like Niagara-On-The-Lake.

There are places where you can brew your own wine.

I don't want Ontario wine period - I want private retail locations selling wine that are open after 10 PM - these do not exist here.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
You don't have to go to LCBO for wine. There are private wine stores all over the place.
In your area...Google

The places you linked to do not sell wine - they provide equipment to brew your own wine.

LCBO and Wine Rack and direct sales (vineyard stores located at vineyard) are the only legal sales points for wine here.

Not to get snippy, but your comment was fairly condescending esp from someone who doesn't even live here.

I think after this many years of living here I would have noticed if we had "private wine sales all over the place" - I am well aware of the legal distribution channels for alcohol in my province.

If your comment was actually meant to be helpful and was made in sheer ignorance of how things work here, I thank you. If not, then my criticism stands.

/END
Now let's back on topic.

Last edited by avironneur; 06-14-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 AM

161 posts, read 520,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evissone View Post
One comment: You can't compare the transit with a tiny city like Halifax and then conclude it is "amazing". Toronto has a population of 2.5 million, just think about other cities with similar size: Chicago, Paris, Madrid. Toronto's public transit is kind of embarrassing.
I'm sure that's true, and I have certainly heard the TTC criticised by friends of mine who have lived in other large cities. Of course I don't expect Halifax Metro Transit to compare to the TTC, just as I don't expect a city the size of Halifax to be as culturally diverse as Toronto. But in any case, these are things that I do miss about Toronto, and that's all I was saying. From my perspective, the TTC is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto