Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM

161 posts, read 520,960 times

Advertisements

I came across an old thread on this forum in which Toronto is initially compared to Detroit (?!) and then, mostly unfavourably, to Chicago (not so surprising) and I found myself feeling really defensive about Toronto! I grew up in the west end of Toronto (Etobicoke) but I've lived on the east coast for over a decade, and I really do prefer where I am living now. It looks like I'll be moving back to Toronto for at least a year to go back to school, and I suppose I am trying to remind myself of all of the positive things, of which I know there are many. I thought it would be nice to start an entirely positive thread about Toronto for people who have spent time living in Toronto, but now live elsewhere, to talk about what they miss about about the city.

I miss
- a wide variety of inexpensive and tasty food
- kensington market
- chinatown
- a reliable transit system (seriously, the TTC is AMAZING compared to the transit system in Halifax!)
- rep. cinemas
- people of all different ethnicities
- good record stores
- being able to see touring bands
- feeling safe walking alone at night
- thunder storms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
I miss when the Leafs weren't an embarassment to the city. I miss when making the playoffs was a given.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
I miss the rolling hills of the outlying areas, the Beach Jazz Festival, rollerblading on Ward's Island, The Danforth for great Greek Food.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
- The leaves changing colour in the fall
- Four distinctive seasons
- Centre Island
- Cultural Diversity and all the different celebrations
- New Years at Nathan Phillips Square
- Outdoor skating in the winter
- Plane Spotting at Pearson

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
After only one visit, I miss this pizzeria known as "The Big Slice" on Yonge Street in downtown Tor.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM

328 posts, read 997,153 times
I miss bubble tea. I can't find it where I live.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM

81 posts, read 172,264 times
Miss the ease of access to various ethnic cuisines like Indian, Sri Lankan etc

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I miss my Mom, Dad, Grandmother and brother who are now all passed away but at one time all lived happily together with me too on the Danforth.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
1. I miss the Chinese supermarkets in North York and the yummies I'd find.
2. The ROM on a Friday night.
3. Cumberland Street restaurants.
4. Wandering the Distillery District
5. Driving around Cabbagetown and pointing at houses and saying.. I want that one and that one and that one
6. Greek town in the summer, esp. if there is a free musical public performance
7. Meeting all sorts of Americans when I did overseas voter registration for the Democrats Abroad (Canada) and hearing their stories as to why they chose Canada.
8. Butter tarts
9. That special sauce at Swiss Chalet
10. being able to satisfy my Timmy cravings at the oddest hours... nothing like a Dutchie and a hot chocolate on a cold winter morning (330 am).. you can't get Dutchies at Timmys in Maine and Connecticut..
11. Better selection of ethnic groceries at local supermarkets
12. LCBO at Bayview Village where I found the beer I used to drink in Australia.. cheap..

PS I don't miss driving during rush hour to get home.. nor do I miss the smog alert days in the summer (I have bad asthma)

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
What I miss about Toronto is the diversity. I thought nothing of eating Greek one night, Indian another, Polish, Italian, Ethopian etc.

It goes beyond the food though, it goes to the culture. Toronto is truly multi-cultural where different languages are heard daily and folks are very accepting of those who are different than them (something lacking in Orange County).

Some specific things I miss

Canadian wines at every LCBO
Kensington Market
Chinatown
The Danforth
Good Beer and good fish & chips
Sleeman's Cream Ale
The ability to walk places
The Beaches (where I lived)
Winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto