Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving from the U.S. to Toronto, we went there for our honeymoon last year and we really enjoyed it. Right now we live in Florida and we really don't know anyone in Toronto. So any insight would help us out a ton!

I know these are some super broad questions but what the average cost for like a one bed apartment in the downtown like t1, t2, t3 areas? Do you know of any apartment finder websites that are good to use?

How hard is it for find a job? I have heard that not have Canadian experience could stand as being a problem. I'm a Pharmacy Tech and my Wife is an MA. I really don't want to work as Pharmacy Tech there tho. I would much rather try get a job at a bike shop or at like a brewery.

Visas and work permits or Go for the PR which is better? I have read that " The decision to admit the foreign national, however, is made by the immigration officer at the point of entry to Canada" and that is a little scary that I could try to move there and the officer tell me no. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I have been doing quite a bit of reading and I have some questions on the immigration vs. Temporary resident visa. We are only looking to stay in Canada for about a year, would it be better Immigrate or to get a TR visa? We both don't have jobs or job offers in Canada so we would be finding jobs after we get there. If you get a TR visa do you need a work permit still?

We both don't have jobs or job offers in Canada so we would be finding jobs after we get there. If you get a TR visa do you need a work permit still?

Any help or insight would be great thanks,

I think we would be looking come in Jan but I know if we do that is going to be cold as balls and moving stuff would suck then. I mean anything you could think of that I haven't ask about let me know because this would be like a crazy big move for us.

Thanks.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 09-27-2011 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: merged two similar threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
All your options are covered here. Immigrating to Canada
IF you come to visit you can do so without advance paperwork. If you have a passport and no DUI or felonies on your record you should get no complications for short visits. The maximum for the tourist visas is 6 months. The border agent will be looking for proof you have enough funds to pay your way for the length of your visit when you declare a 6 month visit. Visiting Canada

If you plan to work while here you must review the choices here Working temporarily in Canada

Another option is student visas. You'd have to have prepaid your tuition. Studying in Canada

Immigration is long , complicated , meant to be permanent and would not be a good choice for a one year stay. You'd have to qualify for one of these choices Immigrating to Canada

Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
If you have the points to immigrate, it wasn't bad. Took me a year and 1-2 months before I was in Canada. If you have the points, don't let that dissuade you from going that route. When you cross you just have to show you have the funds to support you temporarily (e.g., 10k per person I believe). While applying and waiting you can make a trip up and try to make connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto