Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM

57 posts, read 105,071 times

Advertisements

for instance, would i find the same products in the grocery stores and the same tv shows as in the us? i am contemplating a visit and i am just wondering how strong the cultural influence of the US really is, since a lot of people seem to complain about that on here?

Last edited by skadi; 01-03-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times
Many American brands and stores can be found in Canada. Including Starbucks. American cultural influence is strong. Canada has its own TV shows, bands, musicians, etc., but it also has most of the American as well - so really you get the best of both worlds. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skadi View Post
for instance, would i find the same products in the grocery stores and the same tv shows as in the us? i am contemplating a visit and i am just wondering how strong the cultural influence of the US really is, since a lot of people seem to complain about that on here?

Last edited by sunshineleith; 01-03-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM

i figured my original post might come across the wrong way or even as offensive or derogatory, which wasn't my intention at all, hence i changed it.

and judging by your reply, indeed it DID come across in a way i hadn't intended .. *sigh*

anyway, thanks for your reply.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skadi View Post
i figured my original post might come across the wrong or even as offensive or derogatory ("sloppy second"), which wasn't my intention at all, hence i changed it. and judging by your reply, indeed it DID come across in an offensive way .. *sigh*

anyway, thanks for your reply.
Yeah - always best to go with your first instinct LOL.

I will remove the part of my post that quoted your post as it looks like I responded and you edited simultaneously.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM

thank you! really didn't mean to offend anyone...was just curious

Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I think it is probably close enough. You have listed a lot of superficial things - and the vast majority of superficial things (TV, food, chain stores, consumer products, etc.) from the U.S. are available in most parts of Canada, and especially in Toronto.

There are subtle differences between life in the U.S. and life in Canada that will not be apparent immediately. Over time you will probably come to notice them more.

Many immigrants to Canada are actually people who wanted to go to the U.S., but could not get in and came to Canada instead because they were accepted here. Some of these people do end up moving to the U.S. from Canada eventually, but many (most even) end up liking Canada and putting down roots here, and so they give up on the option of moving to the U.S.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM

230 posts, read 535,734 times
To respond to your question about items in grocery stores:

In general I've found Canadian stores to have far less diversity when it comes to consumer goods, and those equivalents that you do find in the states are significantly more expensive than south of the border. The diversity of products becomes apparent especially in American stores that open here. Go to any US Wal-Mart and compare it to what you find at a Wal-Mart here (as a side note, take note of the fact that the "greeter" will not actually greet you or anyone else for a reason I still haven't figured out). The US store will have a much better selection in virtually every department and much better prices for those items you actually do find in a Canadian Wal-Mart.

I spoke with a friend of a friend who works for an American company's Canadian headquarters and he explained that this is because American companies are extremely hesitant to put their products on the shelves in Canada. Apparently it's expensive for them, it's a relatively small market, they're unsure how their product will sell here, and there's more regulatory requirements.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
When you consider the US population of approx. 350 million versus Canada's of approx. 29 million you will understand the differences.

Cell phone plans are much less expensive and usability is much greater in the US. In Canada you can't even call long distance within the same province without racking up fees.

Also, for the most part Canadian cities are much safer.

There are many other differences but overall it feels quite similar.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
^ Canada's population is around 35 million now. Not that it makes much difference.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM

178 posts, read 523,729 times
Toronto is very different from American cities:

-Toronto has way worse traffic congestion than any American city I've been to, including NYC and Chicago
-Toronto has a lot less highways and there are too many narrow roads with too many traffic lights.
-Toronto has higher prices on just about anything
-Toronto has a very small amount of blacks and mexicans compared to US cities
-Toronto is very compact and has virtually no even sprawl unlike many of US cities

That's a lot of differences!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto