Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, Toronto is not what you think of when Latinos come to mind. This one girl told me that Puerto Ricans are a rarity in Toronto. I never heard of Toronto having any Dominicans.

How are the Caribbean latinos in Toronto? Do they have a proper representation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Come visit during Caribana 2012 - Toronto Caribana you'll find one or two in the crowd

Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Come visit during Caribana 2012 - Toronto Caribana you'll find one or two in the crowd
Too bad I'll be back in California during this event ... Sounds like fun ...

Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 AM

170 posts, read 768,760 times
According to the Canada 2006 census there are up to 70,000 Hispanics/Latinos residing in Toronto. That would be 2.6% of the population. However, I guess that most are either of Mexican, Colombian or Peruvian origin.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times
in Toronto there is a latino radio station on AM 1610 CHHA,

CHHA (AM) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,317 times
Toronto's latino population pretty quiet until you get to the World cup. I think the reason being unlike in the states where 60% of latinos are mexicans, the latino pop in toronto is much more diversified i've met brazillians, guatamalians, mexicans, ecaudurans and they all sort of keep to their own community.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM

244 posts, read 920,474 times
I am a Cuban-American from Miami so I have many of the same concerns. I have been seriously considering relocating to the GTA once I finish my dissertation and get my hard earned PhD. From what I understand there are around 400,000 Latinos in the GTA area, although Brazilians are grouped into this number (which, to my knowledge, is not done in the U.S.). The Latino community is spread throughout the various municipalities in the GTA with the highest concentration being in the cities of Toronto, Brampton, Vaughan, and Hamilton. Nowhere, however, do Latinos comprise more than 2% or so of the population in the city that they reside in. Most of the Latinos are from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Chile, and Peru. In the city of Toronto, I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong since I don't live in the city ) that most of the Latinos are concentrated along Ossington from Bloor south to Queen and along various parts of St. Clair. I didn't notice much of a Puerto Rican, Cuban, or Dominican presence in the city, which is something that I will have to get used to if I end up moving to the area. Good thing I can cook Cuban food really well, thanks abuela! If I get the craving for some rabo encendido, picadillo, chilindron de chivo, or boliche I'll just have to whip it up myself, lol.

Last edited by JProg305; 06-21-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,132 times
I don't know for sure, but I always thought the Scarborough area had a large Caribbean-born population. Not Latino but highly influenced by Venezuela, the Trinidadian population is well represented.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM

244 posts, read 920,474 times
Not Latino but heavily influenced by Venezuela, that's a confusing statement considering that Venezuelans are Latino. Were you saying that Trinidadian culture is highly influenced by Venezuela? If so, that's not exactly accurate, it's geographically close but worlds of difference apart in culture. I'm sure there's a fair share of Trinis, Guyanese, and other Caribbean groups, but the OP was asking about Caribbean Latinos in particular which would be limited to Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, and arguably some other Latinos like Venezuelans, Colombians, and other Latin American countries that have some Caribbean coast line.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Not Latino but heavily influenced by Venezuela, that's a confusing statement considering that Venezuelans are Latino. Were you saying that Trinidadian culture is highly influenced by Venezuela? If so, that's not exactly accurate, it's geographically close but worlds of difference apart in culture. I'm sure there's a fair share of Trinis, Guyanese, and other Caribbean groups, but the OP was asking about Caribbean Latinos in particular which would be limited to Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, and arguably some other Latinos like Venezuelans, Colombians, and other Latin American countries that have some Caribbean coast line.
My husband is Trinidadian. It was once a Spanish colony, there are lots of Venezuelans in Trinidad, they watch TV broadcast from Venezuela, many speak Spanish and eat Spanish-influenced food. So yes, I believe that they are heavily influenced by Venezuela. I realize who the OP was targetting, which is why I used the words "not Latino but..." in my response. I was just trying to say that I believed that the OP would not feel completely isolated in that area of TO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto