Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,823 times

Advertisements

I live in Mississauga, Canada and I attend Ryerson University (Computer Engineering major).

I'm planning in advance on what to do. I'm currently jobless, so I'm going to silently look for a job, and start writing my resume. I need rent that is close to the university to live in. I have no money, and I'm probably going to work at a salary from minimum wage to $12/hour, so I need some place cheap. I have no friends, and I have no family here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Overheard my dad talking to his wife saying that he's planning to kick me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahayassen View Post
I live in Mississauga, Canada and I attend Ryerson University (Computer Engineering major).

I'm planning in advance on what to do. I'm currently jobless, so I'm going to silently look for a job, and start writing my resume. I need rent that is close to the university to live in. I have no money, and I'm probably going to work at a salary from minimum wage to $12/hour, so I need some place cheap. I have no friends, and I have no family here.
If I understand your post correctly, well then you do have family...your father is your family first and foremost. Whatever reasons he may have in planning to kick you out you must ask of him the reasoning for this decision. Especially in light of your attending university and no job in hand. Don't be so quick to accomodate this decision unless there is something you have not mentioned...you know, the devil is in the details as they say.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Overheard my dad talking to his wife saying that he's planning to kick me out

If I understand your post correctly, well then you do have family...your father is your family first and foremost. Whatever reasons he may have in planning to kick you out you must ask of him the reasoning for this decision. Especially in light of your attending university and no job in hand. Don't be so quick to accomodate this decision unless there is something you have not mentioned...you know, the devil is in the details as they say.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
To be frank, I think he's just being unappreciative of me lately. I've never done drugs, never had sex, never had a girlfriend, never got in trouble for dumb stuff (such as stealing from their parents or getting drunk), I'm not verbally abusive to my parents, and I don't have bad grades. However, I've noticed lately he's been getting bitter about small things and he's willing to make larger arguments around pointless stuff. He'd start to yell and I'd ask him to stop yelling. After that, he'd yell even louder. I'd either be patient with him or I yell back. If I yell back, he starts physically fighting me, in which I respond by defending myself.

My mother also has bipolar disorder so living at home is sometimes annoying.

I'm actually getting kind of fed up with it, so I'm almost OK with it. I probably will never see him or talk to him again in my life, but on the bright side, I can be happy in that I'll remove my father's bitterness and my mother's episodes from my life.

By the way, I appreciate your concern. It feels comforting, since I'm a little depressed.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
if you don't mind sharing a house, there are plenty of cheaper options. I used to live in a $400 room near Ryerson on Homewood ave, with all utilities and internet included. Large room (almost 200 sf), not even basement.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
if you don't mind sharing a house, there are plenty of cheaper options. I used to live in a $400 room near Ryerson on Homewood ave, with all utilities and internet included. Large room (almost 200 sf), not even basement.
Sweet. $400/month means I'll need to work 39 hours per month at minimum wage, which translates to about 10 hours per week. That's actually not too demanding; I was afraid having a job would affect my education.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 AM

681 posts, read 2,801,273 times
Moving out is not just about paying rent. You will have other addition costs such as:
- electricity
- water
- food
- toiletries
- phone
- transit/car expenses
- clothing
- university books/tuition fees

etc.

This will be above and beyond your rent. According to your first post, you don't seem to have any savings and no current job. I can only assume that your father is currently chiping in to support you in the additional items mentioned above ... once you move out and cut ties, these additional expenses will be yours to come up with on your own.

Adiitionally, you do not pocket all the money on your paycheck .. they take out taxes and fees from your paycheck, so your take home pay will be less than what you calculated you have to work to come up with $400 for your rent.

You mentioned you are a computer engineering major at Ryerson. Not sure if your on the hardware or software side ... but if you are on the software side, I'm sure you can probably find places that need coding help to get extra money and if your really forward thinking ... try writing and selling software online ... who knows .. Google or microsoft might come a knocking and buy you out for millions. Your just starting off and the future is what you make it ... make it worthwhile for you and start thinking about that instead of the past to help you move on from your hard ship you are experiencing today.

All the best.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Sweet. $400/month means I'll need to work 39 hours per month at minimum wage, which translates to about 10 hours per week. That's actually not too demanding; I was afraid having a job would affect my education.
as long as you are willing to work hard, there is no way you can't make a life for yourself.

$400 is just rent, you need to consider other expenses. While I was looking for jobs, I did the calculation and estimate about $800 to be the minimum cost, including rent, food, and other basic stuff. You will have to cook your own meals for sure but that's not hard at all.

On the other hand, you are not skill-less and you probably will make more than minimum wage. For example, you can also tutor kids on their math, or computer stuff, or teach immigrants English. Plenty of options you can think of.

I hope it eventually won't come to that, but if it does and you need tips on how to find cheap housing and save money, you are welcome to ask here. Just be positive and trust you can do it. You will be proud of yourself eventually.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,647 times
Quote:

hmmmm so how old are you?

It sounds as though you are very dependent on your father by your responses. Perhaps your father is doing you a favour by pushing you out the door towards independence.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
hmmmm so how old are you?

It sounds as though you are very dependent on your father by your responses. Perhaps your father is doing you a favour by pushing you out the door towards independence.
He mentions he is a Ryerson student. Probably around 20.

Do Canadian parents really kick their college attending children out toward independence? If they are out of school, I can understand the rationale, but not before that.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
He mentions he is a Ryerson student. Probably around 20.

Do Canadian parents really kick their college attending children out toward independence? If they are out of school, I can understand the rationale, but not before that.
Not necessarily but, by some of his comments one has to wonder if he has ever had a JOB or contributes anything to the household, finances or chores.

"Sweet. $400/month means I'll need to work 39 hours per month at minimum wage, which translates to about 10 hours per week. That's actually not too demanding; I was afraid having a job would affect my education."

Where does he plan on getting money for the other life necessities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto