Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM

34 posts, read 64,260 times

Advertisements

I really like Toronto. I've been reading about it for years now.
I would love to live their one day but one thing I've hallways been
scared of is how American people are treated. I've read some articles
online about how Americans expirence abuse from Canadians by them
saying how they hate the country. The thing is I've also thought about
London or Paris as places to live. I wonder with Toronto being so close to the USA
can anti-americanism be as bad as Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
I've never lived in Europe but based on my interactions with many Europeans over the years, I find them more Anti-American than Canadians. They don't have respect for US Government actions (i.e. wars, sanctions and trade disputes) and sterotype Americans as either: (a) materialistic and arrogant OR (b)overweight, loud and ignorant. I agree some Americans can fit these stereotypes but many don't and are not given a fair chance as a result.

In terms of Canadians, I can't deny that there is some sense of Anti-Americanism that exists but I don't consider it serious but it can be annoying. As a Canadian living in the US, I always get questioned as to what it's "really" like south of the border when I come home to Toronto. It's like people are expecting horror stories about people being shot and rejected from hospitals. Most Canadians' interactions with the US come from border states and thus stereotype all Americans as (b) above and being a separate country, we are also in a position to be more objective/judgemental of US Government actions. So when the US government goes to war for e.g., it doesn't go over too well anywhere in the world, including Canada (and even within large factions of the US pop'n).

But given that Canada has always been the much smaller sibling, there is a dependency on the much larger US and lack of recognition that Canadians are sensitive about but I would not describe it as jealousy, like some Americans may think. That being said, I don't think an American would be treated badly in Toronto. You may have some sterotypes to combat (or explain) but I would hardly call it abuse unless you were an overly sensitive person. I get teased, in good fun, for being Canadian all the time.

Last edited by johnathanc; 12-06-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
There is anti-Americanism in Toronto just like most parts of Canada and Europe, but my sense is that most of it would be stuff you would overhear casually in conversations (and in the media) as opposed to people saying things directly to your face.

Depending on what part of the U.S. you are from and the accent you have there is a good chance you could pass for a local in Toronto, and most people you interact with might not even know you are American.

Or they might find out you are American at some point, and then forget this fact and treat you like a local Canadian.

But really, almost no one will directly hate your guts simply because you are American. Some Americans living in Canada would probably claim that they get hated on personally just for being American, but I suspect these people are judged for their bad behaviour (USA! USA! Number One! Canada Sucks!) than for simply being from the U.S.

As I said, it's really the stuff that you will occasionally overhear (and although common, it's not the main topic of discussion either) that could irk you every once in a while.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
I've read some articles
online about how Americans experience abuse from Canadians by them
saying how they hate the country. .
You mean some Americans survived? I guess we are getting a bit soft...
I'd suggest a visit to Toronto before you write it off completely due to some online articles.
Do a Google search of Reviews of Toronto.
Heres one such..
Toronto Travel Guide - VirtualTourist

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
I think it is a joke to say that Toronto has a general anti-America mindset. Toronto could be American city - a mini-Chicago and nobody will notice the difference.

Canadians, including Torontonians, are extremely insecure when it comes to talking about their mighty neighbour. They can be easily offended if you act like a typical arrogant American criticizing everything that is not American enough as if it were inferior or wrong (not saying most Americans are like that, but many are), but in general they like America.

So as long as you don't have that attitude and comprise a bit to the locals by occasionally mentioning how superior and livable Canada/Toronto is (particularly how good life quality is) and how much you like it more than America, they will accept you in no time.

In general, Canadians love America, but hate to hear it is better than Canada in any way.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Also, the previous mayor of Toronto, David Miller, was actually an American-born naturalized Canadian.

And the current mayor of Toronto (recently ousted in fact), though Canadian-born and raised, is this guy:

Rob ****ing Ford, the mayor of this city! - YouTube

Rob Ford Calls 911.wmv - YouTube

Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
What is with this "poor me" attitude by some Americans on this forum? Man up! Not everyone loves your country, big deal.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM

230 posts, read 535,952 times
I've lived in the Toronto area for about three years and never once witnessed anything resembling anti-Americanism. When I tell people I'm American it's sort of like, "Oh, cool." That's it.

I only once experienced ignorance and it was from a cabbie in London, ON. I told him I was flying to the States and he said "Gotta love how Americans don't even realize we have troops in Afghanistan."

I think the issue of anti-Americanism in Canada is basically a moot point. No one cares and most people will never realize you're not Canadian unless you have a strong accent, or you make it known.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
I really like Toronto. I've been reading about it for years now.
I would love to live their one day but one thing I've hallways been
scared of is how American people are treated. I've read some articles
online about how Americans expirence abuse from Canadians by them
saying how they hate the country. The thing is I've also thought about
London or Paris as places to live. I wonder with Toronto being so close to the USA
can anti-americanism be as bad as Europe.
You'll find Prejudice people all over the world, luckily you are thinking about moving to one of the most educated countries in the world so you should expect people to not be all un-educated about the United States by throwing out silly stereotypes.

Toronto is also a very multi-cultural place, people from all over the globe live there and are accepted by the locals.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 AM

285 posts, read 703,276 times
I was born in Toronto and now live in the States. I go back to Toronto for a visit at least once or twice each year.

Perhaps I just blend in better than the average visitor. People back in the States tease me for my accent (Ooh, there's David! Make him say "about" or "sorry." ) I have been to the city enough that I more or less know my way around. I hang out with family and friends, and I read enough Toronto Web sites to have an idea of what's going on.

However, nobody has really said anything "anti-American" to me. There have been a few negative comments about the US government and the way so many people in the States don't have health insurance. Of course, I hear at least as many negative statements about those things on the US side of the border.

I've travelled through Europe with a railpass and a backpack in youth and heard a few occasional anti-American comments about other Americans, but nothing that made me really uncomfortable.

Some Canadians and Europeans don't like some things the US government does, but a quick look at almost any Internet forum will tell you that lots of people in the States feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto