Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
And what constructive do you have to offer? To do nothing? Yeah, sounds like a right answer, like a real solution.

If you (and many other Americans) truly believe that nothing will change the situation, or that it's not really a big deal, or that Americans need even more guns to deal with the problem, well than maybe the OP came with the right title of this thread.

More guns = more freedom, correct?

Or how about: The more guns we have the safer we are?

Or how about: If those 5-year old kids had guns, they could protect themselves?

Now, you like my ideas, what?
A school district in Texas is letting teachers carry guns.

Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
The answer would be working slowly on improving social culture through multitude of measures, not confiscating guns. Societies that fall back to prohibitions instead of healing social culture are inferior ones.
I'm not suggesting confiscating guns.

But eventually current gun laws must be changed and as you said, other "measures" must be taken to make the country a saner place. Not only talk, but actually recognize that there is a big problem (instead of pointing out that "insidents" also happen in other coutries) and try to do something about it.

Like other poster in this thread mentioned, the current gun laws are outdated. The times are changing and laws (being it health care, gay marriages, legalizing pot, and yes, GUN LAWS) must change accordingly. It's not 1791 anymore.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A school district in Texas is letting teachers carry guns.

Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns | Fox News
Nothing to brag about. It only confirms that there is a big gun problem in the US.

We can do better than that.

Don't you want to live in the country where teachers don't have to do that? I don't know any other country where teachers have to carry guns.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 12-17-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,935 times
Quote:
And what constructive do you have to offer?
I wasn't the poster who moaned about things without having a clue about a course of action.

YOU said Americans wouldn't do anything. Yet you don't offer one thing that could be done.

Thanks for confirming that for us!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
We can do better than that.

Don't you want to live in the country where teachers don't have to do that?

And no, I'm not an aging hippie.
I'd like to live in a WORLD where I don't have to have an anal probing to get on an airplane too.

I could make a long list of similar things....... including not having to worry that the guy in that car isn't texting his girlfriend when I'm sharing the road with him on my motorcycle.

But since heroin, cocaine, meth, and drunk driving is completely illegal.....I never have to worry that anyone is doing any of that....right?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Like other poster in this thread mentioned, the current gun laws are outdated. The times are changing and laws (being it health care, gay marriages, legalizing pot, and yes, GUN LAWS) must change accordingly. It's not 1791 anymore.
The current gun laws in the USA don't date back to 1791. In fact the Federal gun control laws were last changed in 2004.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
Quote:
Like other poster in this thread mentioned, the current gun laws are outdated.
Please give an example of one new law that would have prohibited this horror. I'll wait.

Meanwhile, be aware that the gunman used pistols exclusively, and had been denied gun purchases in the days preceeding his actions...

So again what new law would've changed this?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
This debate has no useful purpose taking place between Canadians and Americans as the REAL debate that will result in any concrete measures must take place within the U.S. between the two polarized parties and their beliefs.

We're just fomenting ire and acrimony between two countries needlessly by; on the one hand suggesting Americans prohibit guns and on the other Canadians know nothing of 2nd Amendment rights.

Fanning the flames of this fire and throwing into the mix a foreign countries citizens opinions will accomplish nothing but fueling an already defensive standpoint at this particular time.

Let's wait and see what comes from this tragedy just a small piece down the road from here. Demanding answers or positions being stated at this time is nothing short of disrespectful to those who've suffered. Snap decisions are never the right decisions and would merely serve to give traction to anyone suggesting this would be a knee jerk reactionary cluster-flop.

Give your leaders time to perform some careful analysis and testing of the house to garner support for any proposal of change and perhaps we'll see the miracle of co-operation for the first time in eons from your two sides of the house. That could be the start of something very good for the U.S.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Please give an example of one new law that would have prohibited this horror. I'll wait.

Meanwhile, be aware that the gunman used pistols exclusively, and had been denied gun purchases in the days preceeding his actions...

So again what new law would've changed this?
Sorry but this is false, as the reports I read stated he was armed with a 10MM and a 9MM semi-auto pistols but used only the Bushmaster .223 semi-auto RIFLE to perform his evil mission, with all of his victims being shot multiple times. He also had a pump shotgun in reserve in his mother's car he used to drive to the school.

The only time he used one of the pistols was to commit his suicide when he heard first responders arrive.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Newtown CT, kids and teachers shot dead by a kid with his Mother's guns. How ironic that she was killed by a gun that SHE bought.

How can they change this idiotic situation ?

Is there any hope for that country ?

I spent 30 years in the CF, in the military Police, so I was armed every day that I was on duty. BUT I have no need for a gun at home, and I can't see why any one needs one in Canada, except perhaps for hunters.

Are you thinking about not travelling to the USA ? I am.

Jim b

Toronto.

GOOD I like to stay away from people like yourself. I won't be running into you south of the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto