Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM

17 posts, read 55,989 times

Advertisements

I might biased since I do not know much about Pickering although I've been there a few times. It seems more rural and less developed compared to the other suburbs surrounding Toronto. Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Richmond Hill and Markham all seems more developed but Pickering has fewer people and makes it seem less urbanized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,504 times
Default Pickering is nice

Don't listen to anyone who actually doesn't live here. I noticed that no one that has posted has ever lived in Pickering. We lived in Toronto also and purchased a home in Pickering because of its close location to the downtown core of Toronto. My husband and I both grew up in affluent areas outside of Toronto and Pickering neighbourhoods are not trailer parks nor have affinities to motor bikes. We are not blue collar, beer drinking people either. The people who came to Pickering from out of town went to the lake area which is why they are saying that Ajax and Whitby are the better areas. Ajax is not actually a good area to live. The crime rate is a lot higher then Pickering and really the only nice area is right along the lake. Pickering is very nice north of the 401. West of Brock though. There are very affluent neighbourhoods with multiple million dollar homes. There is now a lot of build up of stores also so that everything is right there for you. I would say really west of Liverpool and north of the 401 you will find the nice areas which are very family oriented. I would not live in the west of Toronto. Not only are your houses right on top of each other but it's congested. In this area you can get a nice piece of land with space and only a few minutes north of us and you are out in the country. We've now lived in Pickering for 12 years and have 2 small children that we are raising here and won't move until we retire. People who don't live here haven't a clue as to what it's actually like.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM

24 posts, read 46,872 times
I think that the nuclear station in Pickering is the reason for cheaper housing.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 PM

31 posts, read 46,352 times
"Of all the east end suburbs Ajax is probably the nicest, followed by Whitby, than Pickering, than Oshawa."

I've never understood why people find Ajax to be a nice place with a small town atmosphere as it is often described. I have family that live there and live just east of Ajax myself. The town is nothing more than cookie cutter subdivisions, strip malls and worsening traffic congestion. The best thing about it is the location (close to Toronto). I really wish that Ajax (and other areas in Durham Region) would at least try to build subdivisions such as Cornell in Markham that at least attempt to make these areas somewhat transit and pedestrian friendly and aesthetically more pleasing to the eye.

I find Whitby to be a much better place personally, at least it has a fairly extensive historic downtown area (though it could benefit from gentrification). The crime rate (especially robbery) is lower in Whitby than in Ajax.

Oshawa isn't nearly as bad as many try to make it out to be. Sure there is a large underclass population that is thoroughly entrenched in some parts of the city. But I also wouldn't characterize it as a suburb - at least not yet. The city has a variety of amenities and older established neighbourhoods built before WW2. It is my hope that sometime in the very distant future Oshawa will actually see a demand for condominiums to be built the same way Hamilton is starting to experience now.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 9,098 times
Exclamation The nuclear plant is not the reason for cheaper housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor80 View Post
I think that the nuclear station in Pickering is the reason for cheaper housing.
Well majority of Pickering lives outside of the nuclear waste maximum limit which is ten km it makes no sense why those houses would be the same price of the ones inside the ten km radius of the nuc plant if that's the only reason

Old 02-01-2015, 09:32 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor80 View Post
It's probably because it's further from the major suburban job centres. If you work downtown, there's little advantage to living in Mississauga over Pickering, but if your spouse works in the suburbs, or there's a reasonable chance of you working in the suburbs in the future, Mississauga, Vaughan, North York, Etobicoke... they're better locations.

That's not to say there isn't any employment in the east end, but there's less than north and west.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Agree with memph. Growth in the GTA has been biased towards the north and west, always has been. The eastern suburbs have always been less expensive.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 AM

230 posts, read 535,693 times
Scarborough is quickly expanding eastward, and it's well known that as a result of that the crime in Ajax and Pickering is higher there than elsewhere in Durham.

Whitby is much better in that respect though is rather expensive, and Oshawa (with the exception of the far northern part) is a bit too sketchy to live in.

Check out Clarington. Courtice and Bowmanville are just a quick train ride away from downtown and are both great places to live.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by ajl22586; 02-17-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
Scarborough is quickly expanding eastward, and it's well known that as a result of that the crime in Ajax and Pickering is higher there than elsewhere in Durham.

Whitby is much better in that respect though is rather expensive, and Oshawa (with the exception of the far northern part) is a bit too sketchy to live in.

Check out Clarington. Courtice and Bowmanville are just a quick train ride away from downtown and are both great places to live.

Just my opinion.
The train only goes to Oshawa, and Bowmanville is another 15 minutes of driving along the 401. And unless you catch an express train, it's an hour on the train from Oshawa to downtown Toronto.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The train only goes to Oshawa, and Bowmanville is another 15 minutes of driving along the 401. And unless you catch an express train, it's an hour on the train from Oshawa to downtown Toronto.

Yep. My friend lives in Courtice, and I visited him from Windsor in November. ^^ This is exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto