Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,920 times

Advertisements

Hey : )

Im a 26 year old Canadian girl living in Miami ( Born in Montreal; moved to Miami when i was 12) . Although Miami is a very nice place to live , i have the worst luck here ! So am moving to Toronto for a change. Ive been reading about the City and i think ill be happy living in Toronto. However , i don't no ANYONE and IM SINGLE !, I'm not very social (bc I'm shy) .

What do you guys think ? Will Toronto be suitable for a single girl with no friends ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Toronto isn't the easiest place to make friends. I know 2 girls who moved there (1 from Windsor) and went back home because of loneliness. The easiest way to make friends is through work. I'd recommend working for a large corporation downtown (like a bank) where there's a large pool of contacts and co-workers regularly go out for lunch (even if it just the food court) and occasionally out after work.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,920 times
Well I will be in school.. so hopefully that helps

Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM

277 posts, read 786,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1307 View Post
Toronto has great schools, but it's not particularly the best city for student life. If you're only moving back to Canada to study, then why not go back to Montreal? It's one of the best cities in North America to be a student in hands down.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Quote:
You'll have a great time and meet loads of people -- especially if your school is located downtown. Toronto is an awesome city both for students and non students and I'm sure you'll absolutely love it.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:32 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
You'll have a great time and meet loads of people -- especially if your school is located downtown. Toronto is an awesome city both for students and non students and I'm sure you'll absolutely love it.
I second that.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,443 times
My only comment is to say that if you're super shy and quiet, you won't meet people. At least be conscious of the signals your sending - keeping quiet, not conversing in detail when spoken to, smiling, laughing, etc is hard on the other person trying to communicate with you. if they're giving 100% and you're super shy and decline invites for coffee or a drink or whatever, they'll find people who do. So I know it's hard but try to put yourself in situations that are outside your comfort zone (not into the dangerous zone, just comfort zone)

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I second that.
I third that. You don't need to go to Montreal to have a great experience at an urban university. From the people I k ow who studied at McGill and my own experience at U of T (plus my friends who studied at York), Montreal doesn't sound like it offers a better student life than Toronto schools.

Lots of people try to say that Montreal is a more fun and friendly city than TO, but I've visited Montreal enough and known enough people from the city that I can say it just ain't so any more. And if you don't speak French at an intermediate level at least, that could be a problem both in making friends and in getting accepted to any university there.

I also wouldn't worry too much about meeting friends. Just make sure you go out of your way to do it. Join clubs, meet-up groups, go to free events and festivals (Events / Toronto Arts Online / Root - Toronto Arts Online), and don't hide out in your dorm or apartment. It can be difficult to make friends in Amy large city. You just got to put yourself out there, and shy or not, you will meet people like you.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM

277 posts, read 786,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I third that. You don't need to go to Montreal to have a great experience at an urban university. From the people I k ow who studied at McGill and my own experience at U of T (plus my friends who studied at York), Montreal doesn't sound like it offers a better student life than Toronto schools.

Lots of people try to say that Montreal is a more fun and friendly city than TO, but I've visited Montreal enough and known enough people from the city that I can say it just ain't so any more. And if you don't speak French at an intermediate level at least, that could be a problem both in making friends and in getting accepted to any university there.

As a STUDENT, there is absolutely no comparison between both cities, especially given the fact that universities like McGill and Concordia are Anglo sanctuaries. Even if you do a quick search for student-friendly cities, Montreal always shows up.

PHOTOS: Top 15 student friendly cities in the world - Rediff Getahead

Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
I think the decision should be based on the school and the quality of the program ...... and not so much on the city. Don't let this become a Toronto vs Montreal debate. Both are great cities for students. The posts here are assuming that you have offers to both, Univ of Toronto and McGill ... do you? If not, apply to these schools first, talk to people about the quality of programs in these schools, and then decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto