Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 17,157 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm being relocated from Brazil to Toronto, i'll be working on the airport.
My income will be 40k after taxes.

Can i rent a good apartment, 1 or 2bdr, it doesn't need to be downtown.
Also, i'm planning to buy a car, with this income can i pay also the car insurance, grocery, utilities and still have some savings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
That annual income is the same as the Average Canadian Income for a Family.

As a single person, you will be fine.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbonetti View Post
Hi.

I'm being relocated from Brazil to Toronto, i'll be working on the airport.
My income will be 40k after taxes.

Can i rent a good apartment, 1 or 2bdr, it doesn't need to be downtown.
Also, i'm planning to buy a car, with this income can i pay also the car insurance, grocery, utilities and still have some savings?
If the 40K is after taxes (net pay of 3300 per month) than you would be ok as Jim B mentioned.

If you don't really need the car you could save loads of money and definitely increase your savings! I'm not sure how much the insurance would be but i'd be making sure I found that out before actually getting the vehicle because the rates can vary due to a variety of factors. If I had to pay more than 60 percent than i'm currently paying for insurance per month(140 dollars), than I would ditch my car. Honestly, If you can get an apartment close to the subway line and take the Airport rocket to work from Kipling Subway it would be something to consider (Somewhere west of the DT core and closer to the airport than DT and Scarborough for instance - High Park is nice but not sure about rental costs its a nice area so might be $$). Even buying a used car, with insurance, gas and mtce would probably be about a 500 dollars per month expense minimum so if you apply even half of that to an apartment rental, you'd probably get something close to the Subway system within your budget plus you'd have easy access by subway to DT Toronto for entertainment. You would need to get a Toronto Transit Commission Metropass - TTC (130 per month now I think) - but still much cheaper than a car!

As for utilities, many apartments incorporate the cost into the rent per month which can makes things easier. Another way to save on groceries is to simply do your shopping at several different supermarkets! Its called competition.. I save about 100 bucks per month on groceries simply because I know where to shop for the best value.

Good luck!

Last edited by fusion2; 03-15-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Do you mind telling us what position you got?

If I am ever making 35,000 annually, I will consider my life a success.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 17,157 times
I'm not sure about the car...
Here in Brazil, i'm used to go everywhere, even work, by car. And traffic here is chaotic...

for now, i just wanna to have an overview about how much i will be spending monthly, just to make sure i can accept this position...
it's a big life changing... even for me, i work as an aircraft engines technician, and i'm always moving from airport to airport, but this is the first time i'm moving outside of south america.

But thank you all for the informations... my flight to toronto is booked 3 months from now and i hope i can make the best over there.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 AM

230 posts, read 535,869 times
OP, are you sure that your income after taxes is $40k? I've never thought of income on a 'net pay' basis, and I would be hard-pressed to tell you my annual income after taxes. What I do know is that I was making $43k when I was living there, and I wasn't able to afford a car or a condo anywhere close to the city.

That said, if the OP is ok with living in an apartment (and, to be sure, he would be able to afford a decent one with his salary) and using transit then I would not expect that he would be struggling at all.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 28,358 times
Of everyone I know in Toronto, only very few of them own a car. You can rent if you'd like to leave the city for a weekend, and get around the rest of the time by foot or by public transportation. For that reasons, I highly recommend finding a place near the subway line. Streetcars and buses are useful if you're not on a tight schedule. But they are far less reliable than the subway and can get severely backed up during rush hour.

I recommend finding a clean, pleasant bachelor in a vibrant part of town. They're not RIGHT on the subway line, but Liberty Village or King West would be great places to start your life in Toronto. The subway is roughly a 25 minute walk, and the streetcar and bus stops are all around. The population is quite dense around there, so you will have an easier time meeting people and you won't feel isolated. Plus, there are so many great bars and restaurants and places to buy groceries. You'll have everything you need at your fingertips.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM

8 posts, read 28,358 times
Oh my goodness. I didn't even see the part about working at the airport. My apologies. In that case, living on the Bloor line of the subway system will put you within easy commuting distance if you decide to forego a car. But I still encourage you to stick to the heart of Toronto. Rent will be cheaper on the outskirts, but there will be a tradeoff. You are coming from so far away; too far to live somewhere that won't excite you!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtoronto View Post
Of everyone I know in Toronto, only very few of them own a car.
That's strange. All of my friends and family who live in Toronto have a car. The TTC is a slow, expensive and horribly inefficient transit system. In a lot of cases, it is cheaper to drive (if you already have a car and factor in the parking fees at TTC stations).

Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
I live near Dufferin and St Clair, and every body on my street has at least one vehicle, if not three.

That guy who says that all his friends don't have cars, is living in a dream. I bet he rides his pedal bike along Harboard and thinks the whole city is just like his little leftist village. Get real, cars are a city fact, and it is a choice that many people make, just so they DON"T have to ride the TTC, smelling arm pits and dirty socks.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto