Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

When people talk about Toronto, hardly anyone will think of nature, but Toronto is said to have the biggest network of ravines among all cities in the world, a unique feature that is rarely celebrated or marketed to tourists. Everyone knows NYC has Central Park and Vancouver has Stanley Park. Toronto's High Park may be subpar and not that interesting (some may disagree, but it is mediocre), but our extensive ravine system is something very unique.

Unfortunately, not only visitors know very little about them, only a small number of locals have ever visited them. They remain underrecognized and largely underutilized assets.

What should the City do to advertise it better? This city doesn't seem to be able to utlize its existing assets, not to mention create new ones...

Ravines a defining aspect of Toronto - The Globe and Mail
Attached Thumbnails
Toronto's underrated ravine system-ravines_contact_map_lg.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
I wouldn't say that only a small amount of locals have visited the ravines, well I guess those that live downtown but according to them there is nothing north of Bloor . But if your visited any of Toronto large parks like Sunnybrook, Earl Bales, G.Lord Ross, Rouge park etc., or been to the science centre or even driven on the Don valley parkway, you've been to the ravines.

To improve the ravines:

a) Build a system of bike trails and hiking trails. There are biking trails but they're disjointed. The hiking trails don't need to be special, a dirt trail will suffice and should be off limits to bikes and other recreational vehicles. The bike trails could be used for cross country skiing in the winter.

b) Add facilities- Unless you're at one of the large park there are no washrooms, so adding some along the trail would be a big improvement. Also a few places were people can rent equipment such as bikes or skies, out in the highland creek a place to rent fishing equipment would be nice.

c) Lighting- It's dark as hell down there

d) Signage- Sign at the "entrance" and throughout for navigation

e) Improved maintenance

Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,970 times
Very underrrated.

I think Toronto's unique and extensive ravine system needs to be improved as well.

-More bike/walking trails.
-Signage.
-Water fountains here and there.
-More entrances/exits.

Though better late than never, I believe the Pan Am Path is a start. A continuous bike path that stretches from Pickering to Brampton that is supposed to be completed in 2015 for the Pan Am Games. From here, improvements should me made annually until its a continuous network of paths criss-crossing the city, that is promoted properly. It would be nice to have a extensive network of trails, paths etc that are all across the city by 2020 with proper marketing.

A map of the path is below. Also is a link that says it has been approved as well as the official site are below.

The Pan Am Path: Proposal Unveiled for an 80-Kilometre Multi-Use Trail | cityscape | Torontoist

http://globalnews.ca/news/727537/tor...e-living-path/
http://panampath.org/about-the-pan-a...lore-the-path/

Old 01-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Love The Ravines - Home

Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
^^^

Agree with your sentiments (as I do most of the time) - You love maps don't you lol... I bet your room is plastered with pictures of skyscrapers and maps

Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^^

Agree with your sentiments (as I do most of the time) - You love maps don't you lol... I bet your room is plastered with pictures of skyscrapers and maps
Love maps! Geographic maps. Transit maps. Density maps. Etc. Love 'em all! Lol

Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
If tourists want to see ravines and wilderness, it doesn't make sense to try to compete against Northern Ontario, the Appallachians, the Rockies, etc... The ravines should be mostly to the benefit of locals.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
If tourists want to see ravines and wilderness, it doesn't make sense to try to compete against Northern Ontario, the Appallachians, the Rockies, etc... The ravines should be mostly to the benefit of locals.
It is like saying Central Park shouldn't be there for tourists to compete with Yellowstone.

There is no so much competition here. I am sure people won't give up Banff just because they visited c couple of ravines in Toronto. They are vastly different. There is nothing wrong with improving our tourist assets.

The ravines, the beaches, high park, Toronto islands should all be better and more accessible and interesting.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
When I lived in Toronto I found that the ravines were a b*tch to bike across, and they generally didn't have good bike trails in, or if they did, they weren't connected.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is like saying Central Park shouldn't be there for tourists to compete with Yellowstone.

There is no so much competition here. I am sure people won't give up Banff just because they visited c couple of ravines in Toronto. They are vastly different. There is nothing wrong with improving our tourist assets.

The ravines, the beaches, high park, Toronto islands should all be better and more accessible and interesting.
Agreed! Well said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto