Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,511 times

Advertisements

Received a job offer in the GTA. Company really wants me. They’re thinking of opening up a location in the Mississauga-Burlington corridor in the next 1-1.5 years. They're currently based in Montreal. They’ve been after me for the last year+. They would want me to move in the next 1-1.5 years and would pay for the move.

Normally I wouldn’t think of moving as the quality of life is great in the Maritimes (at least what I think great for my family is), but my current employer is not on stable ground right now. Not sure what might happen to my employment in the short term. Hearing all sorts of crazy things in the market. I originally moved here (Moncton) from Montreal three years ago for this job, but promises to me haven't been kept. Plus, the economy is in the sh*tter out hear. Everyone’s leaving for Alberta. No jobs out here.

As stated earlier, company is talking of opening their location in Mississauga-Burlington corridor, and I would have some say in the decision, but chances are it would be closer to Mississauga than Burlington as it would make more sense for a logistics/transport company. So, with the idea that work would be located in Mississauga, looking at the map of the region at something similar to what we currently have in terms of housing, it would seem like the Halton Hills area would be a good comparison.

Here's what we currently have. A 5 bedroom 17 year old house, double garage, 1.5 acre lot, at a purchase price of $298K three years ago. The commute to work is 17 minutes door to door, 20 minutes in traffic. Yes, rush hour adds another three minutes. They have no idea what traffic really is in Moncton. When I was living in Montreal it took me 70 minutes each way on a normal day. Snow or even rain would make it much more.

I know we won't get the same house above and we are willing to downsize to a three bedroom as our second of four kids will be out of the house in university when we move leaving us with only two kids (currently 4 & 6) at home.

So, what I’m looking for is your thoughts on living in a Halton Hills type area with a family of four on a salary of low to mid 100k/year. Wife is a stay at home mom, so no need to pay for day care (I really miss the $7/day daycare in Quebec).

Also, what other areas would you suggest? Public transit won't be an option due to the nature of the job, and I might be able to negotiate a company vehicle as part of the salary package. Maybe even transponder and tolls for the 407?

Thoughts? Opinions?

As I die hard Montrealer and Habs fan, I can’t believe I’m thinking of moving into the heart of Leaf land...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Hmmm, no answers...

Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
As a Maritimer who left Halifax for Toronto, I think you would be wise to accept the offer. The demographics are stacked against NS, NB, and PEI. Yes, people have typically enjoyed a good quality of life as defined by Maritime standards, but I think harder times are ahead.

I would also argue that an improved quality of life involves exposure to cultural and ethnic diversity, an economy with a pulse, access to the best entertainment and restaurants, and yes, even an NHL game if you can hold your nose and watch the Leafs. . Where this place fails (but is struggling to improve) is in transit, commuting, and a history of incompetent, apathetic "leadership".

Halton seems like a nice area, but unfortunately I have no personal experience or knowledge of it to share. The only piece of advice I can give is to rent a place for a year or two before buying. Try a neighbourhood out, explore other areas, see how your commute and lifestyle are going to play out, and then take the plunge into ownership.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the post Ed, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
As a Maritimer who left Halifax for Toronto, I think you would be wise to accept the offer. The demographics are stacked against NS, NB, and PEI. Yes, people have typically enjoyed a good quality of life as defined by Maritime standards, but I think harder times are ahead.
I've lived here for three years now and I have to agree with you regarding tougher times ahead for the Maritimes.

Quote:
I would also argue that an improved quality of life involves exposure to cultural and ethnic diversity, an economy with a pulse, access to the best entertainment and restaurants, and yes, even an NHL game if you can hold your nose and watch the Leafs. . Where this place fails (but is struggling to improve) is in transit, commuting, and a history of incompetent, apathetic "leadership".
Coming from Montreal three years ago, I tend to agree with you on this. We have all essentials in our area, but those extra's you mentioned above are missing. And the restaurants in Moncton are average at best.

I still have my Habs season tickets, but it does no good to me when I live ten hours away.

Quote:
Halton seems like a nice area, but unfortunately I have no personal experience or knowledge of it to share. The only piece of advice I can give is to rent a place for a year or two before buying. Try a neighbourhood out, explore other areas, see how your commute and lifestyle are going to play out, and then take the plunge into ownership.
I'd love to be able to rent a house, but we're bringing two kids with us, I'd hate to move to a rental only to find out the area isn't what we're looking for and have the kids change schools again.

Once again, thanks for your post and opinion!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,357 times
I don't get the last line - "I'd love to be able to rent a house, but we're bringing two kids with us, I'd hate to move to a rental only to find out the area isn't what we're looking for and have the kids change schools again."

You'd rather buy a house and find that out instead? What research would you do to buy a house that you wouldn't do to rent one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto