Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a recent college graduate (2013) from the University of Michigan and I have a Bachelor's degree in English. My boyfriend is a Masters student from France who is moving to Toronto in February on a work or study visa (can't remember which) for an internship at the university there.

Now the question: how can I relocate to Toronto?

I know I need a work visa. I have prepared a resume and have been sending it out to entry level writing positions and marketing positions found on Kijiji. So far, no bites. I also have a lot of restaurant experience and would be happy to take a waitressing position somewhere - but the bottom line is that any place that hires me is going to have to presumably wait and sponsor (i.e. provide a letter that they are accepting me to a position with them) me on my visa application.

How can I increase my luck here? I'm desperate to move and want to do it as soon as possible.

Would it be a good idea to try and apply when I am in the city, i.e. in person, to restaurants or other places looking for help?

Finally, a shameless plug, if anyone has any connections to help me along my way, I'm happy to provide my resume.

Please and thank you!!
Tess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM

50 posts, read 183,432 times
You will never get a working Canadian visa. Sorry to be so blunt but I'm saving you a lot of time.

Start your career in Metro Detroit (a fantastic underrated area BTW) and visit your boyfriend on weekends.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM

281 posts, read 327,632 times
Marry him.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Marry him.
Yeah lol - that is an option...

Old 01-19-2015, 04:51 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
What's your motive in moving to Canada? I heard the US economy/job market has been recovering and improving recently.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:45 PM

277 posts, read 786,201 times
Aren't Americans eligible for a one-year work & travel visa for Canada?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
No they are not.

US citizens do not get any special breaks, when it comes to applying for a work permit in Canada, just as Canadians don't get any special breaks in the USA, for work permits. In both cases the applicant has to qualify, according to the rules of the other country. Makes sense, right ?

Of course a US citizen can VISIT Canada, with out a work permit, or a VISA, but they cannot seek work in Canada, attend any post secondary school, use any social services programs, or work without a work permit. The exact SAME rules apply to Canadians in the USA.

Visiting Canada is at the discretion of the Canadian Government, as to how long a visitor can stay. There is no " right to enter Canada " for any one, except for returning Canadian citizens, and those who have been granted a Canadian Permanent Resident status card, by our Government.

Jim b. In Toronto.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
No they are not.

US citizens do not get any special breaks, when it comes to applying for a work permit in Canada, just as Canadians don't get any special breaks in the USA, for work permits. In both cases the applicant has to qualify, according to the rules of the other country. Makes sense, right ?

Jim b. In Toronto.
Well, that is not true. The TN Visa is an exception to this rule.

For about 60 skilled professions, Americans can basically walk across the border without much hassle if they have a job offer in Canada.

NAFTA Visas for Individuals :: Canada work visa and work permit :: Campbell Cohen - Canadian Immigration Law Firm

Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
"For skilled professions ".

And therein lies the problem for many Americans who want to come to Canada, to live and work. They don't qualify for a NAFTA visa, due to either a lack of specific education or not enough applicable work experience.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
O.P., you want to move to a different country for a guy? Let me put this as fluffily as possible: that is not a good reason.
You write: " I'm desperate to move and want to do it as soon as possible." Desperation is not a reason to uproot your life, unless your homeland is torturing its citizens. That's not the case here. Work on developing a separate identity from your boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto