Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM

43 posts, read 112,994 times

Advertisements

I am a US citizen living in Michigan, and I am thinking about immigrating to Canada. I absolutely LOVE Toronto. The city that comes closest in the US that I'd consider would be Portland, OR, and I'm trying to decide between the two. Things I love about Toronto (and Canada): excellent public transit, friendly and happy people, DIVERSITY, universal healthcare, safety, lower tuition, better quality of life, etc. Toronto is like no other city I've seen in the US. People compare it to Chicago but there's no comparison. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to immigrate to Canada. I'm a 27 year old female with a bachelor's from MSU. I'm thinking about going back to school for dental assisting, and I believe after being a student and spending a year working in Canada, I'd be eligible to apply for permanent residency. Are my reasons to move to Canada worthy of making this change? Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:19 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
I am a US citizen living in Michigan, and I am thinking about immigrating to Canada. I absolutely LOVE Toronto. The city that comes closest in the US that I'd consider would be Portland, OR, and I'm trying to decide between the two. Things I love about Toronto (and Canada): excellent public transit, friendly and happy people, DIVERSITY, universal healthcare, safety, lower tuition, better quality of life, etc. Toronto is like no other city I've seen in the US. People compare it to Chicago but there's no comparison. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to immigrate to Canada. I'm a 27 year old female with a bachelor's from MSU. I'm thinking about going back to school for dental assisting, and I believe after being a student and spending a year working in Canada, I'd be eligible to apply for permanent residency. Are my reasons to move to Canada worthy of making this change? Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Your best chance of securing Permanent Residence is to 1) find a job in Canada that is willing to sponsor you for a temporary work permit (which then you can apply for PR while on work visa) or 2) go to a degree program in Canada which automatically comes with a 2-3 year open work visa post-graduation (allowing you to look for work unhindered while applying for PR).

Actually, a third (and much less cumbersome) way is to find an eligible job in Canada that falls under one of the many job categories under the TN program - which grants you 1-3 year work visas, unlimited renewals, and is probably the easiest and fastest way to obtain Canadian work permit IF you find a job in the covered job category. This program is part of the NAFTA treaty between Canada and the U.S., and is very popular among residents in both countries due to its expediency.

Professions Covered by NAFTA | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

Under NAFTA, I don't think dental assistants are covered by the TN. It looks like only fully certified dentists and doctors are eligible.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,443 times
Before moving to Toronto I would consider the HUGE difference between the cost of living in the city compared to Michigan, namely house prices or rent.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineguy View Post
Before moving to Toronto I would consider the HUGE difference between the cost of living in the city compared to Michigan, namely house prices or rent.
Its a factor but you also have to consider emploment opportunities and pay.. If you can land a job that pays more in T.O than Michigan than that is certainly a factor - plus some will make some sacrifices to additional disposable income for lifestyle. Its all a matter of budgeting.

It isn't too hard to find a one bdrm apartment in Toronto for about 900-1100 bucks a month.. You can even go cheaper but it wouldn't be a great nabe or building.. You can also get a roomie as well.. There are a billion ads for them on Craigslist and Kijiji.. etc.. This is a way of trimming down expenses. I you take PT in Toronto again much cheaper than a car.. Shop at No Frills for groceries and again - food costs very reasonable.. Its not as expensive as some people make it out to be, you just have to be smart! Heck you can get some decent clothing at thrift shops for next to nothing and if you aren't obsessed with labelled American brands than there's even better deals.. Also, if you actually live in Toronto - I highly recommend you check out the Dixie Value Mall... Its worth looking at if you haven't.. Prices on a lot of the goods are as good or better than many Premium Outlet Stores I've been to in the U.S.. Instead of eating fast food at McD's - try going to a local mom and pop for ethnic type cuisine... Cheaper than a McD's combo and FAR better food!

A single person making over 50K a year in T.O could live absolutely fine.. Someone making less could do it as well but would only be able to cover essentials with less in the way of extra disposable to enjoy life. Having said that, regardless of where you live - being smart and budgeting can cut costs down considerably!

Last edited by fusion2; 02-13-2015 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Absolutely - it sounds like you really like the city and are familiar with it! T.O has a way of growing on people the more they become familiar with it.. Its bigger than people expect so it takes a bit of digging to get to all the gold but there's much to be found..

BTW is there any chance you could consider Dental Hygienist instead of Dental Assistant? They make quite a bit more money

Old 02-13-2015, 04:41 PM

50 posts, read 183,432 times
Live in Ann Arbor instead....a million times better place than Toronto.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto99 View Post
Live in Ann Arbor instead....a million times better place than Toronto.
If you read her OP - it looks like she's already familiar with T.O... Since she's from Michigan - she's probably also familiar wiith Ann Arbor..

Old 02-13-2015, 08:24 PM

287 posts, read 306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you read her OP - it looks like she's already familiar with T.O... Since she's from Michigan - she's probably also familiar wiith Ann Arbor..
Not necessarily, I went to school in Ann arbor, and never been to / known anything about places like Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo. Toronto is great, but if I can find a job in Ann arbor I would be back there in a heart beat

Old 02-13-2015, 08:25 PM

43 posts, read 112,994 times
When it comes to your happiness, money shouldn't be a big part of the equation. I'm aware that Toronto is expensive and I can manage. I live in Michigan and it's dirt cheap where I live, but I am SO unhappy, so is it worth it? No.

How the hell can you compare Toronto with Ann Arbor? There's absolutely NO comparison here. I do not care for Ann Arbor. It's overrated.

I thought about Dental Hygiene but am afraid I might get bored with the job since it's the same thing over and over again. Dental Assistants, although they make less, do a variety of things and work. I'll need to dig into it more to find out if it's really what I want. Thank you all so much for your feedback. Your time is appreciated

Old 02-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
When it comes to your happiness, money shouldn't be a big part of the equation. I'm aware that Toronto is expensive and I can manage. I live in Michigan and it's dirt cheap where I live, but I am SO unhappy, so is it worth it? No.

How the hell can you compare Toronto with Ann Arbor? There's absolutely NO comparison here. I do not care for Ann Arbor. It's overrated.

I thought about Dental Hygiene but am afraid I might get bored with the job since it's the same thing over and over again. Dental Assistants, although they make less, do a variety of things and work. I'll need to dig into it more to find out if it's really what I want. Thank you all so much for your feedback. Your time is appreciated
Obviously rent is going to be more expensive in Toronto than most places in Michigan.. General day to day costs may not be as much as some may think.. T.O is a big city so there are lots of cheap dining options as well... I lived DT for 5 years and I know the core well.. Plus, as I've mentioned in other posts there is always the option of getting a roomie.. A small 1 bdrm or bachelor apartment in an Ok apartment building - nothing really nice but OK and acceptable building in the DT core of T.O - possible to get for around 800-900 bucks.. I know friends who rent a 2 bdrm apartment on Jarvis street near Wellesley (heart of DT T.O) for 1200 bucks a month and they split the rent 600 bucks each..

The cost of rent in any place is going to be strongly linked to how desirable the place is but T.O makes a good cost/value proposition in terms of rental costs because it is possible to get a rental DT for the same as most large Canamerican cities and cheaper than many, but T.O is one of the most urban cities on the continent... Is it going to be cheaper to rent an apartment in Detroit or smaller U.S cities - well yes but as you said, lifestyle and things to do are a big part of a happy life. Besides you seem to know the city and I wish you the best of luck in your career and possible relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto