Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,429 times

Advertisements

Yes I have heard about many bad things about Jane n finch. My friends don't want me to go there for a part time job. I am a female high school student who lives in yonge & finch. The work place is woolner ave near jane. So, how bad is that area? Should I take this job? Please help me out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverw View Post
Yes I have heard about many bad things about Jane n finch. My friends don't want me to go there for a part time job. I am a female high school student who lives in yonge & finch. The work place is woolner ave near jane. So, how bad is that area? Should I take this job? Please help me out. Thanks!
I grew up in the Jane and Finch area from 4 to 19 years old.. Much of what is said is exaggerated and media hype.. If you look for trouble like pretty much any area you will find it - but If you wish to stay away from trouble than Jane and Finch is perfecty fine to live or work but not exactly ideal from a location p.o.v (too 'suburban'). I'm also greatful to have grown up in one of the most diverse areas of Toronto and still count friends of practically every race/ethnicity/culture as friends to this day.

As for a job opportunity - if it pays more than where you are currently working and gives you a better opportunity - GO FOR IT.. Don't be afraid of shadows....By the way - Jane and Woolner is not Jane and Finch area so i'm a bit confused... What does working at Jane/Woolner have to do with Jane/Finch.. Jane and Woolner (highly residential nabe) is close to Jane and St Clair - kilometers and kilometers away from Jane/Finch.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-23-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,697 times
Woolner Avenue has a series of high rise apartment buildings that are infamous for gang activity, and the local TPS division could park a patrol car there every day and be busy all day. Its a crime area, for sure .

I would not want to live or work around there.

Jim b. In Toronto.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM

277 posts, read 785,812 times
Depending on where the OP will be working and at what time of day, I really think there will be no issue. Jane and Woolner has always been notorious for high crime, but I think it affects people more if they live there and are part of the community. Don't forget there is a lot of retail around Jane and St. Clair with a lot of consumer activity that attracts people from surrounding areas. It's generally safe.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
Depending on where the OP will be working and at what time of day, I really think there will be no issue. Jane and Woolner has always been notorious for high crime, but I think it affects people more if they live there and are part of the community. Don't forget there is a lot of retail around Jane and St. Clair with a lot of consumer activity that attracts people from surrounding areas. It's generally safe.
I would agree with this.. Even being in a 'high' crime area and being a resident if you stay away from trouble it tends to stay away from you.. As I mentioned - I grew up in the Jane/Finch area - one considered 'high' crime and I turned out fine.. Most people even in 'high' crime areas are good people.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Woolner Avenue has a series of high rise apartment buildings that are infamous for gang activity, and the local TPS division could park a patrol car there every day and be busy all day. Its a crime area, for sure .

I would not want to live or work around there.

Jim b. In Toronto.
I bet you most of the people who live in that area are fine individuals working hard every single day and trying to improve their lot in life.. No doubt there are criminal elements but the majority are simply not criminals and I stick by my contention that most likely trouble will be found only if you are actively seeking it. A lot of people would say - oh no don't live in Jane/Finch its terrible and quite frankly I had NO problems in the 15 years I grew up there because I was a good kid and the vast vast majority of people are good people! That isn't to say the crime rate isn't higher than other areas but I think some perspective needs to be placed here from someone who actually lived and grew up in one of those 'undesirable' nabe's

Old 11-05-2015, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 16,768 times
No never leave Yonge and finch or the small village/ town you came form because of what you hear.
I hate silly questions like these. I know you are yonge, but still. Are you going to be working at the side of the road pass midnight?

A better question would be would you rent an apartment there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto