Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 PM

181 posts, read 499,622 times

Advertisements

Does Toronto have childless, socially active people over the age of 35? Or does everyone eventually settle down and have kids and move to the suburbs, leaving the city with nothing but 20-30 year olds?

If I live downtown when I get older, will I feel "too old" or out of place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Does Toronto have childless, socially active people over the age of 35? Or does everyone eventually settle down and have kids and move to the suburbs, leaving the city with nothing but 20-30 year olds?

If I live downtown when I get older, will I feel "too old" or out of place?
There are all kinds of people living DT... There is a HUGE gay population and most are childless and socially active well... until the day they die (still thinking like they are under 30 I might add ).. Other than gays, DT attracts people who want to live an urban lifestyle at any age including people dedicated more to a career, people who have divorced, people who like the single life, straight couples who don't want kids (yes they exist) and retirees.. So yes, if you are a socially active person who likes an urban lifestyle DT is the perfect place to be and you won't at all feel out of place any age you are.. You WILL feel out of place if you don't have a dog I must say lol...

Old 03-31-2015, 07:39 PM

181 posts, read 499,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There are all kinds of people living DT... There is a HUGE gay population and most are childless and socially active well... until the day they die (still thinking like they are under 30 I might add ).. Other than gays, DT attracts people who want to live an urban lifestyle at any age including people dedicated more to a career, people who have divorced, people who like the single life, straight couples who don't want kids (yes they exist) and retirees.. So yes, if you are a socially active person who likes an urban lifestyle DT is the perfect place to be and you won't at all feel out of place any age you are.. You WILL feel out of place if you don't have a dog I must say lol...
Oh that's good, that basically describes me (eternally under 30). Are there any neighbourhoods that have a social scene that doesn't revolve around those under 25? Yorkville?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:39 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I don't believe this when you are of this age, you should do this and that kind of stereotype.

I am single and childless and I often hang out with people of various ages, including those 10 years younger than me. Who cares. It depends on how young you feel and how energetic you are and how active you want to be. I fail to see why most people would hide in their boring suburbs and start to live a boring life - this is one thing I absolutely hate about North American life - as if having a child means your fun and sociable downtown life is over and living in dead quiet suburban houses is the default choice - because everyone else does so?

Have no qualm about living downtown beyond the age of 35. Downtown is for everyone, and honestly I think offers the best of the city. You can totally live exactly the same way as you were 25 at the age of 45, who says you can't? As long as you choose to and aren't afraid of others passing judgement. I can't imagine moving north of Bloor for as long as I am in Toronto, whether I am 25 or 55. Leslie/Eglinton will kill me instantly, not to mention places like Markham or Vaughan. I'd rather live in a third world country than in those.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Does Toronto have childless, socially active people over the age of 35?
No. We send such people to work camps and they eventually starve to death.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 17,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
that's right.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 PM

24 posts, read 37,104 times
I really don't think you will feel out of place. I think the trend is different now than previously - more people are choosing to have less children/no children, have children at a later age, choose to live in an apartment closer to downtown instead of buying a house and moving away to the suburbs.
I am not 30 yet but I have friends of all ages, mostly from 20 to 40. A lot of my friends in their 30s don't have children and they participate in many events like playing frisbee at the beach, going to Snakes and Lattes to play board games, playing ping pong in UofT campus. There are always many events going on in the city for all ages! You can just look them up on facebook or meetup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto