Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:57 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times

Advertisements

My wife was originally from Ottawa and we are thinking of moving to Toronto from Connecticut, but two major concerns have prevented us from making the move:

1) The weather. There is already a thread on this forum about being depressed in Toronto during winter months.

2) Corruption. Having lived in Chicago for over 40 years I am no stranger to endemic corruption and what it will do to a city and to personal lives. I literally fled Chicago when it became apparent to me the corruption had seeped down right into my condo board.

My concerns about corruption were somewhat confirmed by the following article and corroborated by my brother-in-law who lives in Markham.

Jesse Hirsh • Toronto is a Failed State

I remember Toronto from 45 years ago and I always loved to visit. But it appears with all the foreign cash being washed ashore for laundry, things have taken a real turn for the worse.

So is the article's observations reflective of Toronto today or is the picture it id painting a bit more dismal than what it really is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Toronto has its problems, but to say it is failed state is crazy.

Among the reasons in the article you provided, I can only agree with the second. I like the construction, and think public services are quite good in general, and it is improving.

People complain about "corruption" in every single city on the planet. Don't just take their word for it. Those who complain everyone are usually failed individuals. At least I don't see evidence showing Toronto is particularly bad.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Corruption ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
My wife was originally from Ottawa and we are thinking of moving to Toronto from Connecticut, but two major concerns have prevented us from making the move:

1) The weather. There is already a thread on this forum about being depressed in Toronto during winter months.

2) Corruption. Having lived in Chicago for over 40 years I am no stranger to endemic corruption and what it will do to a city and to personal lives. I literally fled Chicago when it became apparent to me the corruption had seeped down right into my condo board.

My concerns about corruption were somewhat confirmed by the following article and corroborated by my brother-in-law who lives in Markham.

Jesse Hirsh • Toronto is a Failed State

I remember Toronto from 45 years ago and I always loved to visit. But it appears with all the foreign cash being washed ashore for laundry, things have taken a real turn for the worse.

So is the article's observations reflective of Toronto today or is the picture it id painting a bit more dismal than what it really is?
What major city or even small town does not have some levels of corruption. The weather is better then most of Canada in the Winter.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Toronto has its problems, but to say it is failed state is crazy.

Among the reasons in the article you provided, I can only agree with the second. I like the construction, and think public services are quite good in general, and it is improving.

People complain about "corruption" in every single city on the planet. Don't just take their word for it. Those who complain everyone are usually failed individuals. At least I don't see evidence showing Toronto is particularly bad.
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL.....

Old 12-08-2015, 05:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
What major city or even small town does not have some levels of corruption. The weather is better then most of Canada in the Winter.
Connecticut isn't exactly a balmy place in the winter either.......

https://www.google.ca/search?q=conne...2XBVkQ_AUIBigB

Old 12-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Yes, every major city has tons of corruption induced by the enormous money flow through city coffers. I witnessed first hand how money not only corrupts politicians but life. Simple things such as subgrade construction where developers are immune from lawsuits (Ontario law for example allows developers to write condo declarations immunizing themselves from any lawsuits due to construction defects) is more than a small concern.

If Toronto is like other big cities then in all probabilityit is very corrupt and the article may be pretty accurate. Most of my friends in Chicago and New York grew accustomed to it but I just want to get away from it. I guess the simple reality is that the more the money, the more the corruption. So be it.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Connecticut isn't exactly a balmy place in the winter either.......

https://www.google.ca/search?q=conne...2XBVkQ_AUIBigB
Actually for me I always found the biting cold weather of Toronto more difficult to bear but I would love with it there was not pervasive corruption. If it is like all other major cities, I'll probably have to pass. To much stress.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL.....
I meant those who complain about everything. I should check my sentences before sending them out.

The fact is, many people are frustrated that they can't achieve a damn thing in their life, so rather than blaming themselves, finding flaws of the city/country is a much easier solution.

I have yet to see a single piece of evidence showing Toronto's serious corruption problem (not saying it has no corruption). If it were such a failed city, how come tens of thousands of people are flocking to it every year? How come the city, especially central is growing strong? people should be fleeing to the burbs. How come housing price keeps rising? A failed city should be unattractive to domestic and international buyers, just look at Detroit.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Actually for me I always found the biting cold weather of Toronto more difficult to bear but I would love with it there was not pervasive corruption. If it is like all other major cities, I'll probably have to pass. To much stress.
maybe you should provide some evidence showing the pervasive corruption, rather than keeping talking in words?

Or maybe it is because you are not a fan of big cities to start with. To think smaller cities would naturally have less corruption is naïve.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 AM

178 posts, read 523,891 times
Quote:
Yes, every major city has tons of corruption induced by the enormous money flow through city coffers. I witnessed first hand how money not only corrupts politicians but life. Simple things such as subgrade construction where developers are immune from lawsuits (Ontario law for example allows developers to write condo declarations immunizing themselves from any lawsuits due to construction defects) is more than a small concern.

If Toronto is like other big cities then in all probabilityit is very corrupt and the article may be pretty accurate. Most of my friends in Chicago and New York grew accustomed to it but I just want to get away from it. I guess the simple reality is that the more the money, the more the corruption. So be it.
Haha, you don't know what corruption means.. I've been living in Ukraine for some time now and it's ranked as one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

Here's an interesting article on the matter. It's about a one of the major cancer research hospitals in the country and how a British investigative journalist went down there to figure out how widespread corruption is. Here's a quote from it:

Quote:
We walked through to the kitchen, where six women sat around the table, chatting over tea as if they were old friends rather than strangers brought together by the awful coincidence of their children having cancer. At first, when I spoke to them, it seemed the mothers were reluctant to admit to breaking the law. It soon turned out they were simply struggling to understand what I was asking. Bribes were so ordinary that it seemed bizarre someone would have come all the way from Britain to ask questions about them. Eventually, however, one woman, who was from eastern Ukraine, explained how her doctor had extorted money: “He wrote 100 on a piece of paper, then pointed his fingers upwards. That meant dollars.”
Welcome to Ukraine, the most corrupt nation in Europe | News | The Guardian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto