Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:23 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

It has become ever apparent to me that many men in this city and possibly other major cities in North America don't get what it is like to be female and 30 plus living in Toronto or a major city. A few years ago I suddenly started to wonder .... wait a minute what is it like to be a man in this city over the age of 30? How is life different? So if I came across this question maybe some of the men out there might be curious to know what it is like to be a female and 30 plus living in Toronto or a major city.

This was forwarded to me today by a freind and it certainly resonated. I would highly recomend listening to this for any Canadian woman or any man that wants to get an idea of what's up with women 30 plus in this city.

Thirty nine. Female. Crazy job. No partner. No kids. AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! - Home | The Sunday Edition | CBC Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 04:14 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,650 times
I don't have time right now to listen to your link about being a 39 single female, but ironically this is a topic that I recently discussed with my wife. There are many women in our social circle here in Toronto who are closing in on 40 and the prospect of them settling down with kids is becoming quite low. Some women may be fine with this but I don't the think majority are.

Based on people I know (and I'm not professing to be an expert), I find this situation seems to occur with women who:

-are extremely picky about who they date and never compromise to the point they hardly date
-some career oriented women don't seem to get serious about finding a partner till later then have trouble meeting someone because all the "good" ones (or ones they deem equals or higher) are gone
-some get involved in serious LT relationships for a good stretch in their 30s that didn't work out and they can't meet someone after
-some women just continuously chase the wrong type of men even as they get older (e.g. bad boy types who seem exciting but are unreliable partners)
-and some are just very shy and live a sheltered life (i.e. live with parents for a very long time) and don't put much effort into making themselves attractive

On the flip side, I'm mid 30s and single guys my age don't seem to worry much. Unfortunately, I don't know many single guys who are late 30s/40s to analyze.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Yeah ... it is a bit long, but interesting. I listened to it while going for a walk and still got like 1/3 to listen too. I got the link in a text message... I was thinking it was a song... but it wasn't. But serious especially if you are female a really good listen. If you are in your 20s even more of a valuable listen. I am reading a lot of thread on different parts of this forum that seem to suggest 40s is old? I am not there yet.. but I am not buying it. I must know the most immature 40 year olds, but they don't seem "old" to me.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,650 times
40 is not old. But it's not young. It's middle aged. But it is old for a woman to be single if one's goal is to get married and raise children.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:21 PM

Default Someone needs to get on that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
40 is not old. But it's not young. It's middle aged. But it is old for a woman to be single if one's goal is to get married and raise children.
Oh there it is the biological b!tc* slap lol. A sad, but true reality. Seriously if we get someone of the moon... why has no one figured out how to extend child bearing years? I finished that link and it actually is not just about single women 30 plus ... it is also about married or women with children 30 plus. No matter which way you cut it a very meaningful and thought provoking listen. If a married or single wants to get what is up with women in this city listen to it. I think it is a very real insight of what is up with us.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:48 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
why has no one figured out how to extend child bearing years?
From Facebook to Citigroup, more companies are covering the cost of elective egg freezing for women who want to delay child-bearing. Is this the key to real gender equality?

Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
I've run into middle aged men who missed the boat with having kids. High-achieving 50-something guys, depressed, and depressing.

If you want to know what single middle aged men in cities are up to, you should read up on the stats on suicide demographics. Not pretty.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
As for the topic... It seems to me that the pool of city men (those that women search for - groomed, fashionable, intelligent, career-minded etc) is not that large. Blue-collar men would never visit "tennis lessons, cooking classes,..." because they are busy with building their bikes or building web servers or fly fishing (they already have hobbies). There are still more men in towns and villages, running tractors and bulldozers and farmers markets. Do these men even enter the consideration of city women?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
As for the topic... It seems to me that the pool of city men (those that women search for - groomed, fashionable, intelligent, career-minded etc) is not that large. Blue-collar men would never visit "tennis lessons, cooking classes,..." because they are busy with building their bikes or building a web server in the basement or fly fishing (they already have hobbies). There are still more men in towns and villages, running tractors and bulldozers and farmers markets. Do these men ever even enter the consideration of city women?
Those blue collar guys are out in the burbs, dating single mothers who live there. Downtown is where there are more men than women... due to a lot of divorced guys moving downtown. So downtown, there are young 20-somethings, then the divorced guys, then the never-married middle aged women. Do the never-married women go out of their way to date divorced guys who have kids? Not really. But that's where the fish are...

Old 01-26-2016, 08:04 PM

Default Say what ????

You know what an invisible light blub just exploded over my head lol? I got to look in to this and see what my employer is offering in terms of this? It is 100% true... I never talked about fertility and having kids when I was in my late teens and 20s... I do recall the phrase "Oh my god I hope I am not pregnant come up in conversations hundreds of times". Interesting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto