Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 PM

615 posts, read 600,497 times

Advertisements

I'm going to revive this thread on the topic of weather.

First off, the temperature, we are approaching December and Vancouver and Toronto's weather is roughly the same:

Fall in Toronto has been milder overall than fall in Vancouver.

**** will hit the fan in Toronto by mid December, when the weather will start to get consistently colder than Vancouver. But I want to challenge the assertion that "compared to Vancouver, Toronto is a frozen winter land 6 months of the year". Mid December to early March is 4 months.

But more importantly:

Quote:
It has rained almost every day for two months in Vancouver

It has rained nearly every single day for the past two months, except for five.

Rain totals at Vancouver International Airport – typically a drier spot than other surrounding areas like the North Shore – will top 200 mm for November. Combined with October’s 203.4 mm, that means over 400 mm of rain will fall in two months.

“Since the start of October, 52 of 57 days have had recordable rain,” said Kuss. “That’s way more than normal. In fact, October set a new record for most days with rain. But on average we get rain on 50 per cent of the days in October and two-thirds of the days in November. We also average 20 days with precipitation in December, so it can be gloomy too, but looking ahead we’re in for a pattern change which will bring cooler, drier air to Vancouver.”

It has rained almost every day for two months in Vancouver | Globalnews.ca
Being in Vancouver and having gone through this (and we're just getting started on the wet season!), it's pretty terrible.

Anyone who moves from Toronto to Vancouver expecting tropical weather will be very disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post

First off, the temperature, we are approaching December and Vancouver and Toronto's weather is roughly the same:

**** will hit the fan in Toronto by mid December, when the weather will start to get consistently colder than Vancouver. But I want to challenge the assertion that "compared to Vancouver, Toronto is a frozen winter land 6 months of the year". Mid December to early March is 4 months.

But more importantly:

Being in Vancouver and having gone through this (and we're just getting started on the wet season!), it's pretty terrible.

Anyone who moves from Toronto to Vancouver expecting tropical weather will be very disappointed.

I am not saying it is awful, but Vancouver can only be considered a "great climate" if your ultimate goal is to see the least amount of snow possible while remaining in the confines of Canada.

Aside from that criteria (important to some, I realize), I am not sure Vancouver is really a "move to" climate.

Relative to Toronto (and actually the whole of southern Ontario and southern Quebec), you have to sacrifice very beautiful summers in order to enjoy a mostly snow-free (and deep freeze free) winter.

Vancouver summers are OK, but to people who like warmth and even heat (and the activities that go with them), they're definitely on the cool side.

Last edited by Acajack; 11-29-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,395 times
Toronto is quite frankly a boring and astonishingly ugly city. I couldn't keep from feeling as though I was in some sort of alternate-universe Shanghai when I was there (and no, not because of the large Chinese population but because of the architecture, or lack thereof). Eventually the price indices of Toronto and Vancouver will converge as more and more people move into the GTA and GTA real estate keeps being utilized as an investment and TO's advantage there will disappear.

Vancouver is a far more aesthetically pleasing city and has a much nicer climate (in my opinion). The one area where Toronto has Vancouver beat for sure is its job market, which is looser and much much larger than Vancouver's. But Vancouver's economy isn't bad per se, it has reasonably large and growing IT & other high technology sectors.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:03 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Quote:

But more importantly:

The same caan be said for Montreal too. Pretty close tempertures right now.
Attached Thumbnails
How is Toronto compared to Vancouver?-screenshot_20161130-170045.jpg  

Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Vancouver is the best Canadian city for least snow. Also the city rarely has long dry hot summers so you won't suffer from heat exhaustion.

However if anyone who enjoys grey clouds and rain for the majority of the year move to Vancouver. It rains most of the year and this year has been exceptional for the wet stuff. It's beautiful when the sun is out but too bad it's dominated by precipitation and dark clouds most times of the year.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:36 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Vancouver has a relatively big international profile for its size, so it's often compared to cities that are significantly larger than it (e.g. Seattle, San Francisco and Toronto rather than Portland, Oregon or Brisbane, Australia).

Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 PM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Quote:
Interesting choice of adjective to describe disappointment at the amount of rain. Tropical climates are very wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto