Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 18,709 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are planning to move to Toronto within the next couple of years. We don't want to live directly in the city, and wouldn't mind around a 30 minute commute. We are looking for somewhere quiet that is good for a family with young kids. We like nature, big trees, open spaces etc and also favor old homes as opposed to brand new subdivisions. Our price range would be about 450,000 maximum. We were thinking of a northeastern suburb such as Markham, but that area seems very pricey. I also plan to board my horse at a stable in Port Perry so we prefer to be closer to that area if possible, but not too far away from the city. We aren't really familiar with the suburbs though and would love some recommendations! Also, do Canadians refer to suburbs as something else? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:39 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,072 times
When you mentioned Markham, I'm making the presumption that you don't mean to live in the city proper, but to be a part of the suburbs. Add some more details about where you and your fiance will be working. It will be hard to find anything that isn't either city, or suburban living if you want a 30 minute commute to downtown Toronto, but with details I could point you in directions. You may want to look back in the threads, I provided a neighbourhood map for those who wanted to find about neighbourhoods within Toronto.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/toronto/618641-here-neighbourhood-map-those-interested-moving.html
unfortunately it doesn't cover the GTA.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
As mentioned by mcmastersteve, a 30-minute commute from the downtown core isn't likely to get you big trees and open spaces.

Port Perry is east of Toronto, so it might be a logical progression to look at areas like Whitby, Ajax, or even Brooklin. These are a 50-minute commute to the downtown core by GO train.

While there are older houses available in these areas, newer subdivisions are the dominant feature.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
You could also consider Central/Southern Etobicoke, or Southeastern Mississauga. Etobicoke is a suburban borough in the west end of the city, and Mississauga's just outside of Toronto beside Etobicoke.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylexi View Post
My fiance and I are planning to move to Toronto within the next couple of years. We don't want to live directly in the city, and wouldn't mind around a 30 minute commute. We are looking for somewhere quiet that is good for a family with young kids. We like nature, big trees, open spaces etc and also favor old homes as opposed to brand new subdivisions. Our price range would be about 450,000 maximum. We were thinking of a northeastern suburb such as Markham, but that area seems very pricey. I also plan to board my horse at a stable in Port Perry so we prefer to be closer to that area if possible, but not too far away from the city. We aren't really familiar with the suburbs though and would love some recommendations! Also, do Canadians refer to suburbs as something else? Thank you
Yes, Canadians refer to the suburbs as the suburbs. Unlike many other large cities, Toronto's downtown/mid-town are very livable and an excellent place to raise children. You would be able to afford a home in the former East York which is outside the downtown core but still generally considered to be within the city. There would be plenty of parks and nature trails that would lead to places like the waterfront. The time you saved commuting to the downtown core would offset the longer drive to your horse stable in Port Perry. I would not want to live or raise children in the suburbs but perhaps that is just me.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
As mentioned by mcmastersteve, a 30-minute commute from the downtown core isn't likely to get you big trees and open spaces.
One of Toronto's mottos is "A city within a park". There are plenty of nature areas within the City of Toronto itself where one can go hiking. Sure, in the winter, when the trees have lost their leaves you can see that you are within a city but in the summer it is pretty amazing how much nature you can find within the city itself. There are more to Toronto's parks than just slides and swing sets. City of Toronto: Parks and Recreation - Maps (http://www.toronto.ca/parks/maps.htm - broken link)

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

257 posts, read 1,444,773 times
I am moving from Whitby this weekend, I am really going to miss it!!!
There are 2 really nice homes for sale in my neighbourhood, they just went up. One has a pool.
One is on Kilbride and I forget the other street, but they are VERY close to both public and catholic schools elementry and high school.
The one on Kilbride backs onto the public school, Fallingbrook PS.
Fallingbrook neighbourhood is a nice well established area, very good schools, great access to shopping.
A short drive to the Go Train to Toronto.
We really love it here! I am going to miss it, it is a great family area.
Whitby has about 3 or 4 great new splash pad parks, lots of ice rinks, a huge soccer organization ....it really has a lot to offer.
Whitby is just south of Port Perry.

Last edited by mellabella; 06-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: to add.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:41 PM

15 posts, read 77,011 times
Is Whitby similar to Oakville?
We used to live in Oakville, and are planning on moving back to the Toronto area and are looking for something like Oakville (but less expensive) in the north or east, about an hour outside of downtown.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeDog View Post
Is Whitby similar to Oakville?
We used to live in Oakville, and are planning on moving back to the Toronto area and are looking for something like Oakville (but less expensive) in the north or east, about an hour outside of downtown.

Then the Whitby/Ajax/ Oshawa might be worth a look as far as eastern suburbs go.

GO train time from Oshawa to Union Station (downtown Toronto) is about 55 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto