Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,281 times

Advertisements

I have read multiple posts that mention how ethnically diverse Toronto is. Among those ethnic groups, are hispanics/latinos an important group? For instance, Toronto has its little Italy and little Korea. Are there also stores, restaurants, oranizations, etc., that cater for a hispanic population? I'm thinking more central/south American than Mexican, Cuban, or Puerto Rican (the three majority groups in the US).

Also, are cultural events that focus on Latino/Hispanic culture (salsa dancing, tango dancing, art exhibits, etc.) common in the city?

Any information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
I have read multiple posts that mention how ethnically diverse Toronto is. Among those ethnic groups, are hispanics/latinos an important group? For instance, Toronto has its little Italy and little Korea. Are there also stores, restaurants, oranizations, etc., that cater for a hispanic population? I'm thinking more central/south American than Mexican, Cuban, or Puerto Rican (the three majority groups in the US).

Also, are cultural events that focus on Latino/Hispanic culture (salsa dancing, tango dancing, art exhibits, etc.) common in the city?

There are very few Mexicans, Central Americans, and Carribean Hispanics in Toronto. There is however a growing South American population (Colombians, Equadorians, Uruguayans, Chileans, Peruvians).

Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,537 times
I'd have to say the Hispanic community is relatively small, I really couldn't tell you what community has the biggest presence.

I've have met Cubans, Chileans, Argentines, Salvadorians and everything in between. The Hispanic population seems spread out and very diverse; with no one group really standing out in terms of sheer numbers or influence.

There are a number of Hispanic shops on Bloor St. just west of Christie Pits, and you look hard enough you'll find the odd pupusa joint..

Salsa on St. Clair is billed as Hispanic street festival. A good reference for you might be torontohispano.com.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,157 times
Also, Toronto's spanish speaking groups may not particularly lump together to form hispanic communities. You will find Mexicans food/culture events and you can find Cuban food/culture but they may not be grouped together under the "hispanic" umbrella any more than Greeks and Italians are lumped together under the "mediteranian" umbrella.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 67,122 times
There is a large hispanic community in certain areas of Toronto, especially in the west end. Others might tell you there isn't a large presence, but thats because they're living in another side of the city. Theres not as much hispanics here than there are in the States, but I grew up with hispanics and went to a high school on Weston Road where half the population was hispanic, so I can tell you that the presence is here.
The hispanics in Toronto are very diverse in their country of origins with not one country clearly being a dominant one, but I can say most are from Ecuador, El Salvador, Colombia, Argentina, and other South American countries. There are not much Cubans or Puerto Ricans, but the Mexicans are here and growing.
There are a lot of hispanic restaurants in the areas with alot of hispanic residents. I live right beside a convenience store at a street corner which only serves the spanish-speaking residents of the neighbourhood. I don't really know which restaurants are good because I don't eat at them much, but I've eaten and I always see a lot of restaurants along St. Clair Avenue West and Wilson Road. They range from different countries like Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, Cuba, Argentina, etc.
There are also quite a few events here that deal with hispanic culture. All of the ones I could think of are during the summer time. 'Salsa On St. Clair' just passed which is a street festival for a weekend that always gets thousands of people. It is filled with dancing and food. 'Hispanic Fiesta' at North York Centre is another event that happens every year during late August. The Toni Reyes concert at Downsview Park once a year also attracts thousands of hispanics having a great time. There is Latin Fest at Canada's Wonderland every year which also features a concert in the theme park, but it mainly attracts teenagers. There are also other events like Colombian Fest, Pupusa Fest, and several others that attract many people. There is also a Hispanic Day Parade that goes along Jane Street every year. There are also many night clubs and bars if you want to go dance some salsa, merengue, bachata or some reggaeton.
I hope that helps, just do a little bit of searching in Toronto and you'll find a lot of things.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 PM

261 posts, read 668,317 times
Ya I agree with dude above, I grew up in the west end weston road area too and can tell you thatthere are hispanics everywhere if you look for them. Like all my high school friends where hispanics, a mexican, a equadorian, a cuban and a preuvian. I also knew a costa rician too.

There doesn't seem to be a dominant race of hispanics but I'd say it is likely equador, then argentina. Few mexicans. I had about 3 equadorian friends, 2 cuban friends, no argentinian friends but 1 guy I did talk to.
There were defintelty more hispanics than blacks and black is about 15% of that region so I know there are lots hispanics.
My school was 5 blacks 6 hispanics and the other 20 odd whites.
Jane, weston albion road and kipling all have large hispanic presence
I lived across a hispanic speaking only church so I know they exist

Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post

yes Hispanics/Latino are important group in Toronto. There are several event that are organised by Hispanics.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
As everyone has stated there is a Latin population in Toronto, but compared to most major US cities it is quite small. According to last census 2.6% of the population was Latin or Hispanic.

The West End has the highest concentration and that is probably the only part of Toronto where you actually feel a significant Latin presence. For example when I was living in Toronto I do not remember eating any Latin food outside of my home (My Grandmother was born in Panama) but when we moved to Florida I was obviously more exposed to Latin culture (21% of Orlando is Latin or Hispanic)

With that being said it seems to be a growing group and the demographics of the city should change in the next decade.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:10 AM

11 posts, read 67,122 times
Also note that according to the Canadian census, Latin Americans are the fastest growing visible minority group in Toronto in the past 5-10 years. That's probably why if you were to see some of the high schools in the west end you could tell its growing rapidly since in some of these schools half of its students are hispanic. If you were look at those schools 10-15 years ago it wouldn't be nearly as close as half. That being said, some of the elementary schools in our areas with a a big hispanic presence are almost completely filled with hispanic children. The same can be said about South Asians, Chinese, Blacks, Filipinos, different European countires and Middle Easterns in selected Toronto schools too, which is why I love this city its very diverse.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 20,507 times
The community is definately small and i'd say newer. It's strange that our neighbours in the south have so many and they aren't in Toronto. West End and North York definately the bigger population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto