Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times

Advertisements

Talking mileage in terms of tanks or trips is 100% irrelevant. The only basis for comparison is MPG. How many Miles Per Gallon does your Camry get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
... also some one with a "trained ear" could tell by the sound of the car if it was a V6 or I4. If you still have your window sticker, it should tell you what engine you have. I4 was standard, the V6 was extra cost.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM

926 posts, read 2,747,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
Babigyrl, do you have the manual that came with the car? It's usually kept in the glove box.That should tell you how many cylinders the car has. US66, if she doesn't know much about cars or even how many cylinders it has, I doubt she'll be able to discern if the car is fast or merely quick. When I was new to driving and cars I thought my 4 banger was really fast

I think Camrys with V6s have a V6 badge on the trunklid? If not, look at the back of the car where the badges are. If the car says CE, LE, SE, or XLE it's an inline 4. If it says LE V6, SE V6, or XLE V6, it's a V6.

As for the poor mileage, I agree something must be seriously wrong with the car for it to be getting such poor mileage. Also, how are your driving habits? Do you drive in a lot of stop and go driving situations? That may be playing a part in conjunction with a serious mechanical issue.
Oh good tip on finding out what type it is- it is not a v6 lol. No v6 anywhere on the car :-)

And yes I do drive a lot in stop and go traffic. I don't have to use the highways to get to where I am going. So if I drive a lot in stop and go traffic, can anything be done about my mileage?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Talking mileage in terms of tanks or trips is 100% irrelevant. The only basis for comparison is MPG. How many Miles Per Gallon does your Camry get?
On google it says 24/street and 37/highway

Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post

That's great mileage. But that's not what you're getting. Isn't the whole point of this entire thread that you don't get good mileage?

Here's what you do. Fill up the tank to the point the fuel nozzle clicks off on it's own, then don't add any more gas. Write down the odometer reading. Drive until you're nearly empty, then refuel as shown above. Check the odometer, subtract the previous reading, then divide the answer by the number of gallons you just put in the tank. Presto! You now know your true MPG.

Do this several times and you'll have a more accurate idea of what mileage you're actually getting.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Those are probably the old liar numbers.

21 city, 30 highway.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/22822.shtml (broken link)

When was the last time it had a tuneup and the air filter changed?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Those are probably the old liar numbers.

21 city, 30 highway.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/22822.shtml (broken link)

When was the last time it had a tuneup and the air filter changed?
The air filter was changed in February and if a tune up is the same as an oil change then that was like ten thousand miles ago lol. I am good about getting my oil changes when it is due, I never drive around needing an oil change, I follow the sticker on the window pretty closely. I am going in for my 40k oil change in two weeks. I was going to ask them to check out my fuel economy....if thats something that can be checked by looking at something under the hood lol.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,984 times
A tune up is more in depth than just an oil change. I'm really hoping you've changed your oil earlier than 10,000 miles ago...maybe I read that wrong.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
. I was going to ask them to check out my fuel economy....if thats something that can be checked by looking at something under the hood lol.
Ummm no. Do what vmaxnc said to do. it is the only way to know your true gas milage. And I really hope that you are not waiting 10,000 miles to change your oil.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM

No I dont know how many miles it is, I go by the sticker that they put on my windshield after they change the oil. I get it changed either when the date arrives on the sticker or the miles, whichever comes first. I was just guessing 10k lol I honestly dont know, if that sticker peeled off and blew away or something I would truly be lost lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion