Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times

Advertisements

I found a car on Craigslist for $4500 but its an '00 and really high mileage. I mean its averages out to 10k miles/year so its not that bad. I just really need a new car (my current car is just awful! true POS!) but I also want one that is going to last at least another 5 or so years without too many problems aside from general maintenance, and that will allow me to take long road trips as well. The ad says it is in good condition and from the pics it looks fine and the owner is only selling it because they are moving out of the country.

I asked my moms friend who is a mechanic but i'm waiting for him to get back to me. Meanwhile, I figured I'd check here.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
If it has been maintained properly, it likely has many more years and tens of thousands more good miles left in it. If it has been poorly-maintained, it is most likely ready for the boneyard.

Does this car come with full maintenance records, an Owner's Manual, and the mfr's maintenance schedule? If it does, then you need to be able to sit down with those items for awhile in order to analyze the car's maintenance. Just looking at a pile of service invoices is not very helpful if you don't have a maintenance schedule to compare them to.

If the above-noted items are available, and if the current owner will allow you to sit down for awhile to carefully analyze the car's state of maintenance, then it is worth considering. However, you would still need to take the car to your own mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

If you are not able to do what I described above, just walk away from this deal. Used cars are like commuter buses, and another one will be along shortly. There is no reason to rush into buying a used car until you can verify that it has been maintained at least as well as the mfr specified and unless your mechanic can give it a clean bill of health.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If it has been maintained properly, it likely has many more years and tens of thousands more good miles left in it. If it has been poorly-maintained, it is most likely ready for the boneyard.

Does this car come with full maintenance records, an Owner's Manual, and the mfr's maintenance schedule? If it does, then you need to be able to sit down with those items for awhile in order to analyze the car's maintenance. Just looking at a pile of service invoices is not very helpful if you don't have a maintenance schedule to compare them to.

If the above-noted items are available, and if the current owner will allow you to sit down for awhile to carefully analyze the car's state of maintenance, then it is worth considering. However, you would still need to take the car to your own mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

If you are not able to do what I described above, just walk away from this deal. Used cars are like commuter buses, and another one will be along shortly. There is no reason to rush into buying a used car until you can verify that it has been maintained at least as well as the mfr specified and unless your mechanic can give it a clean bill of health.

I agree

We are just experiencing our first problem with our '03 Corolla S at 280,000 miles....it has the 1zz 1.8 and it has decided to puke it's oil pump....that's at nearly 300,000 miles.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I agree

We are just experiencing our first problem with our '03 Corolla S at 280,000 miles....it has the 1zz 1.8 and it has decided to puke it's oil pump....that's at nearly 300,000 miles.
Damn! 280k on an '03? That's some serious driving.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Damn! 280k on an '03? That's some serious driving.
My ol' lady NEVER lets a vehicle cool down good before she's gone again...that doesn't include miles she's put on other vehicles since that one was relegated to spare car status quite awhile back....the problem is,it needs to be first car status right now and it's pulled this stunt.

Honestly tho,I'd buy another new one in a second...they are slow,hard to get in and out of(for me) but you just can't kill them if you'll maintain them.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I had a '93 Camry (the '92-96 was a different model than the '97-'01 model years I realize, but not radically different) and got rid of it at 125k mi. Starting at around 105k mi, everything starting going wrong at once: rack and pinion/ power steering, radiator, struts, both front window regulators, oil leak, due for its second scheduled timing belt replacement, and more. Not that it's a bad car, just that at 120k mi, a lot of things start needing replacement all at once, so make sure you have at least several thousand $$$$ lying around for repairs. Also don't even think about buying a car that old from a dealer unless if you'd like to spend an extra $1-2k over what the car is worth. Only buy from a private seller who has the maintenance records.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I had a '93 Camry (the '92-96 was a different model than the '97-'01 model years I realize, but not radically different) and got rid of it at 125k mi. Starting at around 105k mi, everything starting going wrong at once: rack and pinion/ power steering, radiator, struts, both front window regulators, oil leak, due for its second scheduled timing belt replacement, and more. Not that it's a bad car, just that at 120k mi, a lot of things start needing replacement all at once, so make sure you have at least several thousand $$$$ lying around for repairs. Also don't even think about buying a car that old from a dealer unless if you'd like to spend an extra $1-2k over what the car is worth. Only buy from a private seller who has the maintenance records.
It's goofy to buy a used car from a dealer ANYTIME.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
and the owner is only selling it because they are moving out of the country.
Funny how many times (usually Craigslist ads) I've heard this exact story. Seems like almost 20% of all the ads say that. I don't even believe it. How many people do you know have moved outside of the US? Even if it was true, why would the owner feel they have to give a justification for selling a car?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Funny how many times (usually Craigslist ads) I've heard this exact story. Seems like almost 20% of all the ads say that. I don't even believe it. How many people do you know have moved outside of the US? Even if it was true, why would the owner feel they have to give a justification for selling a car?
haha who knows. they could be military. they get sent overseas a lot. Otherwise..ya they could be lying.

Retriever- ya I was planning on having my mechanic look it over anyways..I do that with every car I think about purchasing. I do plan to look at the maintenance records if they have it.

But ya I was thinking..timing belt is due..maybe breaks, maybe spark plugs so that's the other thing I'm concerned about and I'm trying to get rid of my current car so I don't ahve to deal with spending more than it is worth!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
120k is nothing and the price isn't bad. All the mechanic can tell you is its current condition. He can't tell you how well its been maintained over the years. If you can get the VIN, take it to the nearest Toyota dealership to the seller and see if they have a history on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion