Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 29,773 times

Advertisements

It pretty much has 190,000 miles on it, so it's considered "old". But it's still in really good condition, with only minor problems that rarely happen and aren't even engine related, honest to God.

Here are my ASM Emission Test Results:

%CO2

15 mph: MEAS = 14.9
25 mph: MEAS = 14.9

%O2

15 mph: MEAS = 0.0%
25 mph: MEAS = 0.0%

^????????

HC (PPM)

15 mph: MAX = 84, AVE = 35, MEAS = 104
25 mph:
MAX = 49, AVE = 21, MEAS = 43

CO (%)

15 mph: MAX = 0.34, AVE = 0.01, MEAS = 0.13
25 mph: MAX = 0.32, AVE = 0.02, MEAS = 0.04

NO (PPM) (which is the same as NOX, right?)

15 mph: MAX = 484, AVE = 53, MEAS = 344
25 mph: MAX = 498, AVE = 51, MEAS = 162

My Avalon passed the visual inspection. I don't know if that matters, but if you need to know those results too, I can do that.

My question to you all is what are my solutions based on the test results and the make of my car?

Firstly, does my situation only require a simple fix? One possible factor: I drove my car for 20 minutes on freeways and highways prior to the smog test to get the engine nice and hot. However, when I arrived at the test place and turned off the engine, the guy who was going to perform the test was talking to his attorney on the phone, and I had to wait for about 20 minutes before he finished.

Another factor: I haven't changed my oil in a long time (9 months), and I'm pretty certain I've gone past 5,000 miles since my last oil change.

I also didn't use high quality gas before the test. My gas tank is now empty, so I plan on filling it tomorrow with some really good quality gas for the sake of the test. The test guy told me to look for high octane gas, but I've gotten mixed reactions to that solution from different forums.

Some people say fuel system cleaners and additives can help. Would that help my situation, too?

Or is it something else, outside of regular maintenance issues, that's causing the high HC readings? My knowledge of cars and engines is VERY limited. But I've gathered from my research that a common problem is the OX sensor and the CAT. The OX sensor might be something since test shows ZERO PERCENT for oxygen, which seems STRANGE to me.

As for the CAT, I don't have a good estimate on its condition. Before I moved down to CA in September 2011 from Washington state, my dad (the original owner of the car, now passed to me) said he took it to the shop to "fix EVERYTHING". I don't know what exactly that means, so I'm waiting for him to send me papers/information about what exactly was fixed (i.e. maybe the CAT was already fixed/replaced, which was WITHIN a year ago). I'll post that information up soon.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! This stupid CA smog test is really frustrating me!

Last edited by blackashes; 07-08-2012 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
You did the right thing driving the car for 20 mins on the freeway ( Gets the Catalytic converter nice and hot)
But then you messed up by turning the car off!
Keep the car on next time,till it's your turn to be check out.
Rev it every so often while you wait,you want the Catalytic converter hot!
Also change your oil before your retest.
A fresh oil change will go a long way with lowering your emissions.

Imo those numbers are not that high.
I think if you do those things above you should pass,and If it's not busy ask the smog guy for a pretest!

If you really want to pass look into getting a new catalytic converter.
Most muffler shops can weld on a new one for about $200-$300 depending on brand.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Hitman619: I also felt the numbers weren't that high either, and that oil, high quality gas, and making sure the CAT is hot and always running before can do the trick. We'll see, I'm visiting the mechanic tomorrow morning to do all that before the test. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
A good trick is clean oil and fresh spark plugs. Decades ago you could show that you made a percent of changes and it was waived but I doubt that program exists anymore.
Some counties in the state require a treadmill test. In any case the cars are checked at running temperatures. No need for high octane unless the car was specified for it new.
I understand they now pressure test the fuel system for leaks.
I am lucky I live in one of the few CA counties that only smog test on purchase.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:36 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Ferretkona beat me to it. You are probably close enough to passing that new plugs and fresh oil, then do the test within say the first 100 miles on both, and you should pass.

If you have deferred maintenance, a new fuel filter and new O2 sensor will pay for themselves pretty quick, unless these were done by Dad before giving you the car. Try to come up with the bill for that work, stash it in the glove box, good point of reference.

Oh, and, BTW, you made an EXCELLENT first post, telling the collective what your test results are, make, model, and year of the car - so few people give enough information without being asked follow-up questions.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 PM

IT PASSED!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure it was a matter of warming up the CAT before the test. This time I let the engine run right before the test, as opposed to last time, where the CAT went cold after 20-30 min being turned off. Also changed the oil and used premium gas, so that might've helped with the results too.

The change was pretty dramatic:

%CO2

15 mph: MEAS = 14.8
25 mph: MEAS = 14.8

%O2

15 mph: MEAS = 0.0%
25 mph: MEAS = 0.0%

HC (PPM)

15 mph: MAX = 84, AVE = 35, MEAS = 46
25 mph:
MAX = 49, AVE = 21, MEAS = 26

CO (%)

15 mph: MAX = 0.34, AVE = 0.01, MEAS = 0.04
25 mph: MAX = 0.32, AVE = 0.02, MEAS = 0.03

NO (PPM)

15 mph: MAX = 484, AVE = 53, MEAS = 21
25 mph: MAX = 498, AVE = 51, MEAS = 49

Got the documents from my dad about what he fixed. Among other unrelated fixes, the spark plugs were fixed last August.

Also no codes came up from the OBD II monitor. No faulty parts, but I forgot to ask if the "zero percent" oxygen was normal and in relation to the O2 sensor.

I won't have to worry about this damned test for another two years. But this whole thing at least pushed me to learn more about car maintenance so that my Avalon can get the most miles it can.

Thank you guys for your helpful insight! Really do appreciate it!

Last edited by blackashes; 07-11-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Having the cat good and hot at the get-go helps, it helps all 3 readings but particularly the NOx. You would be surprised at how much the oil change helps with the HC. The fresh oil change does not of course have any real effect on your real-world emissions, but it does help you get through the test.

I'm not certain the premium gas has been documented to help - anyone know?

While you don't really "need" spark plugs if they are only one year old, fresh plugs would have reduced your readings further - not that you needed it to pass.

If a car is running truly right, it should beat the max emission limits by quite a bit, like yours did.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Your car is fuel injected which is much better then carburated cars. I barely passed smog last yr & the smog tech said i wont next time. My readings were maxed out on my old carb car. The state wants old cars off the roads (idiot legislature).

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM

53 posts, read 131,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Your car is fuel injected which is much better then carburated cars. I barely passed smog last yr & the smog tech said i wont next time. My readings were maxed out on my old carb car. The state wants old cars off the roads (idiot legislature).

I know this is an old post but thought the following info would be helpful to many older car owners.. There is a product called "SEA FOAM". It is a fuel system cleaner, normally it is added to the fuel but a mechanic friend did this to my sons 1990 Honda and he has had great success. Go to any parts store ( I use Auto Zone ) get a can , cost about $10.00, then with the engine hot remove the black hose on the power brake can, then with the engine revving at about 3,000 RPM pour the fluid into the line slowly until the can is empty. Now turn off the engine for about 30 min. Then restart the engine and again rev the engine to 3,000 rpm and continue until the smoke ( yes it will look like the engine is on fire) stops . What you have done is clean the entire fuel system without hurting the engine or your pocket book . In most cases you replace nothing . just a good cleaning .

Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Once upon a time in California, the smog test used to be performed by gas stations and other auto repair shops. Anyway, at the time, I had an old Triumph Spitfire that couldn't pass the test. The shop doing the testing only got paid if the car passed the test. That was the rule, I think. So, what I did was to find a gas station that looked like it needed to make some money. I left my car there for the test and went across the street and had a beer. When I came back, the car had passed with flying colors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion