Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 08:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,760 times

Advertisements

The pre-1990 "TOYOTA" script (since seen again on the FJ Cruiser), or the current Toyota symbol used since 1990?

I apologize profusely if this has already been asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 04:54 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Ever since they introduced the current interlocking ovals logo I've thought it looked stupid. I know it's a stylized T, but to me it's always read like the silhouette of a cowboy wearing a cowboy hat or sombrero.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Ever since they introduced the current interlocking ovals logo I've thought it looked stupid. I know it's a stylized T, but to me it's always read like the silhouette of a cowboy wearing a cowboy hat or sombrero.
Thanks! It was kind of strange that Lexus got their own version of the Land Cruiser in 1996 and 1997, considering the Land Cruiser itself had become available in luxury versions around the same time as the logo on the front had changed to the current one...

Also, I once drove a white 1995 Camry LE sedan that I bought used in 1997. Soon after I was in a 2003 accident that totaled it, I just happened to find an almost identical one parked on a street in my neighborhood. The only difference was that it had the (less prestigious?) silver logos unlike the gold logos mine had. I seriously was tempted to meet the owner of that one and make an offer on it, but never did.

Looking back though... shouldn't the parent company have only used the silver on Toyota branded models, and the gold on Lexus models, considering each brand's current logo is a near-twin of the other? I can't count how many times I've seen a 90's Land Cruiser or the Lexus version from far away, and then realized I thought it was the opposite version than I first thought. Differentiating the two brands by color would save confusion.

But anyway, not sure if they do anymore, but Cadillac in the 90's used both silver and gold logos.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:19 PM

549 posts, read 723,151 times
I like the old style better.

Apparently the "sombrero" thing is here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion