Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,440,643 times

Advertisements

Except that there aren't 13-year-old Camrys in the taxi fleet.

"Comfort" and "taxi" don't go together. If you want comfort, you order up a limo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,444,912 times
Crown Vics have ceased production. It'll only be a matter of time until they're only seen in smaller towns as taxis (much like they still had 82-91s and 92-97s in my college town in 2010. I thought I'd break down every time I got in one.

I welcome Camry, Accord, Prius, and even this NV200 "taxi of tomorrow"
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/hey...icle-1.1363894

Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 AM

24,523 posts, read 33,403,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Except that there aren't 13-year-old Camrys in the taxi fleet.
Probably not. Probably not many 13-year-old Crown Vics in the taxi fleet, either.
I forgot... about 10 years ago I used a taxi several times. An auto mechanic recommended it. Privately-owned. It was a Lincoln Town Car; sometimes they are used as taxis. It was very clean inside for a taxi.

Quote:
"Comfort" and "taxi" don't go together. If you want comfort, you order up a limo.
Agreed. And I may plan to ride in one later this year. Always have wanted to ride in a 60-, 90- or 120-inch stretch Lincoln Limousine.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 AM

I think I might have seen a LTC taxi maybe 3 or 4 times. A bit expensive compared to the once-readily-available used Crown Vics that were then suitable for taxi duty.

And you're right, I suppose there aren't many 13-year-old Crown Vics in the taxi fleet. So the ones that smell of burning oil, barf, cigarette smoke, and armpit are generally around 5 to 8 years old. The precious few Camrys of the same vintage generally don't smell of burning oil or cigarette smoke (smoking in taxis was banned before they were entered into service and Camrys weren't used by chain-smoking cops or other municipal employees before being thrown into the taxi fleet), so at least they hold a slight advantage over the Crown Vics when it comes to not assaulting one's olfactory senses.

Last edited by Drover; 08-06-2013 at 01:12 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,689,420 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, when I hop in the back of one of those 13-year-old police-cruiser-grade Crown Vic taxis that smell like burning oil plus a decade's accumulation of barf, cigarette smoke, and armpit, the first thing I think to myself is "comfort!"
LOL. Gotta love the rock-hard stab-proof seat backs when you accidentally bang a knee into it. And the heavy duty vinyl upholstery! That stuff has always been impressive, but not in a good way.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 AM

LOL, I can only imagine the number of Goddammits I've shared with everyone within earshot as I thrust my kneecap into the granite slab that constitutes the front seatback while trying to stuff myself into the back of a former police cruiser Crown Vic. It's a rite of passage, especially after a night at the pub.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 AM

24,523 posts, read 33,403,329 times
Quote:
I think I might have seen a LTC taxi maybe 3 or 4 times. A bit expensive compared to the once-readily-available used Crown Vics that were then suitable for taxi duty.
I was surprised when the drive pulled up in Town Car. More expensive, as you said. It was in good condition, though, inside and out.

Quote:
And you're right, I suppose there aren't many 13-year-old Crown Vics in the taxi fleet. So the ones that smell of burning oil, barf, cigarette smoke, and armpit are generally around 5 to 8 years old. The precious few Camrys of the same vintage generally don't smell of burning oil or cigarette smoke (smoking in taxis was banned before they were entered into service and they weren't used by chain-smoking cops or other municipal employees before being thrown into the taxi fleet), so at least they hold a slight advantage over the Crown Vics when it comes to not assaulting one's olfactory sensibilities.
One of my Aunts rode in a taxi not long ago. I don't know if it was a CV. Next time I call her, I'll ask what the interior was like. I think the taxis out here are generally in better condition in the rear compartment.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,082,507 times
Oh not this "Camry must be better than Accord" because of anecdotal evidence argument number 90634693253248324 "BS" again.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...an-accord.html

Could be any number of reasons "why." Generally, automakers like to sell more cars to fleets to use excessive manufacturing capacity, or to try and boost sales.

Back when the Ford Taurus was the sales volume leader in the US, Ford steadily became increasingly aggressive in selling them to fleets to retain that #1 sales slot (and accompanying bargaining rights) despite the fact the competition was catching up or suprpassing it.

Now, I am not saying that is why Camry is showing up in more fleets... but Toyota has been very aggressive in chasing sales targets (both as a company and for Camry as a model)...

Oh, and again, there is no basis to make a judgement call on whether a Camry is better or worse than an Accord based on the two companies aggressiveness with selling to fleets.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM

865 posts, read 2,169,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Oh not this "Camry must be better than Accord" because of anecdotal evidence argument number 90634693253248324 "BS" again.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...an-accord.html

Could be any number of reasons "why." Generally, automakers like to sell more cars to fleets to use excessive manufacturing capacity, or to try and boost sales.

Back when the Ford Taurus was the sales volume leader in the US, Ford steadily became increasingly aggressive in selling them to fleets to retain that #1 sales slot (and accompanying bargaining rights) despite the fact the competition was catching up or suprpassing it.

Now, I am not saying that is why Camry is showing up in more fleets... but Toyota has been very aggressive in chasing sales targets (both as a company and for Camry as a model)...

Oh, and again, there is no basis to make a judgement call on whether a Camry is better or worse than an Accord based on the two companies aggressiveness with selling to fleets.
Honda is playing smart though. As soon as Camry gets a fleet image, it's done for.

Same thing happened with the 2000-2007 Taurus. They are worth nothing because a lot of people think of them as rental cars.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,381,795 times
Most cabbies are independent contractors. The driver owns the car and probably uses it as his personal vehicle as well. Seems to make sense that many would buy a quality car like the Camry since they are also using it as their personal car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion