Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times

Advertisements

Nothing ugly about the Tundra..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM

64 posts, read 134,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Are you serious? It took me 15 seconds to find the towing capacity.

Toyota Tundra Truck - 2013 Features

The Tundra with the iForce V8 can tow 6600/8100 lbs. with/without the towing package.
They must be referring to a camper shell on the bed of the pickup. My 4 cyl Tacoma has pulled 4,000 lbs....

As for the Titan, what happened with that? I haven't seen a Nissan truck commercial in years. Talk about giving up! The people I know who own them really like them too. The frontier is also a good truck but you just never hear anything about them in the form of advertisement or publicity.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Are you serious? It took me 15 seconds to find the towing capacity.

Toyota Tundra Truck - 2013 Features

The Tundra with the iForce V8 can tow 6600/8100 lbs. with/without the towing package.

Perhaps I misunderstood the OP's question. He asked if the Tundra would "haul" a 4200 pound camper. To me, "haul" means carry, not tow. Of course it would tow that much. According to your link the payload is 1325-1485 pounds, and after taking the weight of passengers, tools, etc. out of that, there's not much payload left. In fact, the Tundra would be overweight towing most 4200 lb. 5th wheel campers, particularly if the 4200 pounds refers to the empty weight.

Also, the figures in your link are for 4x2s, not 4x4s. 4x4s generally have lower payload capacity. The Tundra obviously was not designed for payload capacity and falls far short of the big 3 in that regard.

I had a small Toyota truck for years and really liked it. It was trouble-free and a nice driving truck, but it wouldn't carry much weight. I sold it and bought a 3/4-ton when I decided to get a camper. I should have gotten a 1-ton.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
The Tundra is one mean Truck!! I l really hope it sticks around until the time I actually will buy a house again and need one to haul things.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM

43 posts, read 133,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

I agree. It seems the Tundra has been repeadedly dogged for it's soft curve styling, but it's my favorite body style of all the full size trucks. In fact, I perfer the '07-'13 styling over the '14.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Personally, I do not think that the Tundra is going anywhere. One that surprises me is Nissan. I know it was a good design and Nissans first big truck, but I cannot believe that the Titan is still around - it is very outdated. It has NEVER underwent a redesign and it has been around since late 2003. It has been around for 10 years - no changes. Why? The Tundra has undergone three generation changes since the Titan was released.
The biggest problem with the Nissan in my oprion was a weakest in class differential/rear end. The Tundra has a big robust rear end.

NISSAN TITAN DIFFERENTIAL DEFECT

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The front end of that truck is the absolute ugliest on the market and you found the perfect picture. The vast majority of truck buyers despise the look of the entire front. It looks like a hodge podge of miscellaneous front end car parts and head lights placed around a big ugly truck grill. The brake lights are ugly too but you can't see them in that picture. They look like the belong an a toyota avalon instead of a truck.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The front end of that truck is the absolute ugliest on the market and you found the perfect picture. The vast majority of truck buyers despise the look of the entire front. It looks like a hodge podge of miscellaneous front end car parts and head lights placed around a big ugly truck grill. The brake lights are ugly too but you can't see them in that picture. They look like the belong an a toyota avalon instead of a truck.
I find it hard to accept your statement that the "vast majority of truck buyers despise the look of the entire front." Have you surveyed the "vast majority" of truck buyers?

Here in Texas, where trucks seem to be 1/3 of the vehicles on the road, I think there is nothing uglier than a Ford Superduty with a chrome grill. The previous generation Dodge with the mini-big-rig look was even uglier. But that's my opinion and I can't claim to know what the vast majority of truck buyers think.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood the OP's question. He asked if the Tundra would "haul" a 4200 pound camper. To me, "haul" means carry, not tow. Of course it would tow that much. According to your link the payload is 1325-1485 pounds, and after taking the weight of passengers, tools, etc. out of that, there's not much payload left. In fact, the Tundra would be overweight towing most 4200 lb. 5th wheel campers, particularly if the 4200 pounds refers to the empty weight.

Also, the figures in your link are for 4x2s, not 4x4s. 4x4s generally have lower payload capacity. The Tundra obviously was not designed for payload capacity and falls far short of the big 3 in that regard.

I had a small Toyota truck for years and really liked it. It was trouble-free and a nice driving truck, but it wouldn't carry much weight. I sold it and bought a 3/4-ton when I decided to get a camper. I should have gotten a 1-ton.
Interestingly enough, the 4x4 has a higher payload (1820) and towing capacity (10,100).

I read "hauling" as towing, not payload. No half-ton on the market can carry 4200 lbs - that is two tons. Only a few variations of the Ford F350 can carry that much.

Interestingly enough, a manufacturer of truck campers shows their camper sitting on a Toyota Tundra:

http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content...slide1-adv.jpg

Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Question, what are those sales numbers WITHOUT fleet sales?
Seriously doubt if they would make much if a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion