Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,303,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So what did you buy?
I got a Nissan Rogue SV. Loving it so far! Did months of research before buying and liked the safety ratings, etc. I was actually steering towards a Ford Escape, but received some advice on other forums of problems.

It just seems like every time I turn on the news, there's another Toyota recall of one or more of their vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla never really had any problems with it. The one time I did Toyota fixed the problem for free and it's been fine ever since. I hit 100k miles last month and it's still going strong I do take care of it though, regular maintenance always done on time

Everyone who finds out I drive a Corolla tells me I'm going to get at least another 100k miles out of it, since it took me over 6 years to get that many miles I'm hoping to keep this car at least another 4-6 years without payments!
I hear ya! That's the goal with mine too; we'll see.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I got a Nissan Rogue SV. Loving it so far! Did months of research before buying and liked the safety ratings, etc. I was actually steering towards a Ford Escape, but received some advice on other forums of problems.

It just seems like every time I turn on the news, there's another Toyota recall of one or more of their vehicles.
Nice vehicle, you'll enjoy it but be aware Nissans have recalls as well in fact i thought i read something about problems with some of their CVT trannies.
Rogue Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We have a 2013 Camry through insurance. I have not driven it, my wife is. I've been a passenger.

Noisy. Hard to get into and out of for both of us. I'm 6'-2 and she's a little over 5'-0. Seat belts are driving both of us crazy. They are so close to the seats that it's difficult to connect them.

It does have some pep, but sounds like a tin can 4 cylinder - which it is.

I wouldn't buy one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You should have test-driven and tried everything before buying that car. That's when research pays off (before buying).
You obviously missed the insurance part. I should have made it more clear. This is a rental through our insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyman5002 View Post
Think his car is in the body shop.
It's going in today. She really beat the heck out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek
We have a 2013 Camry through insurance. I have not driven it, my wife is. I've been a passenger.

Noisy. Hard to get into and out of for both of us. I'm 6'-2 and she's a little over 5'-0. Seat belts are driving both of us crazy. They are so close to the seats that it's difficult to connect them.

It does have some pep, but sounds like a tin can 4 cylinder - which it is.

I wouldn't buy one.
Quote:
Seems like you have some preconceived negative bias toward this Camry,
How could I? I've never owned or driven one except for once in 2008 for a test drive. I said it sounded like a tin-can 4 cylinder because that's what it sounds like. Where does "preconceived" come into it?

For anyone else misconstruing my opinion of Toyota my short list of cars to buy to replace the one that just got dinged (Yes, she nailed it a month before we are to start test driving new cars) includes the Avalon. In fact, from my list of three it's my top pick. It may not be hers, however, and since this will be "her" car I have to bend if necessary.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Nice vehicle, you'll enjoy it but be aware Nissans have recalls as well in fact i thought i read something about problems with some of their CVT trannies.
Rogue Forum
Yes, the CVT has taken some getting used to, especially here in hilly Pennsylvania. Thanks, will be watching for recalls. I know Nissan isn't immune to them.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,186,288 times
Find me a manufacturer at Toyota's price point that HASN'T had a recall. Besides, if Toyota (and the rest of the industry) learned anything from the unintended acceleration debacle a few years back, it's that being forthcoming and issuing the recall ASAP is a GOOD thing, as opposed to burying your head in the sand and blaming the customer. Heck, I WISH Ford would recall our newest car because it clearly has issues that many owners are experiencing (as evidenced by the countless posts over the same issues on a forum I'm on for that vehicle) but no one can get Ford or the dealer to come up with real solutions.

I've only owned one Toyota. It was a 2009 Scion xB. I put over 100K miles on it in 3 years and the only mechanical issue I ever had was the water pump. And in all honesty, I have my suspicions that the dealership was simply taking me for a ride on that one. It was a very reliable vehicle, and even with that mileage, it took HOURS (not days) to sell when I put it on craigslist. Toyotas are well known for their longevity if nothing else.

Now, would I ever own another Toyota? Likely not. Their cars are quite simply too BORING. Every mile behind the wheel of that thing did nothing but remind me that Toyota designed it for practicality and nothing else. Everything in their fleet is designed the same way, but it's because they know their target demographic are folks who just want to get from Point A to Point B every day with no drama and that's what they focus on. I can respect that, but until they can design a bit more fun into their vehicles, I'm done with them.

Mike

Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,565,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Now I'm seeing that Tacomas are being recalled. What is Toyota's problem recently?
Part of it, inaddition to what others have already said, is that Toyota took on a volume-sales business model in order to compete with the Big Three, and reliability became a casualty to that goal.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...oyota-reality/

Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,433,012 times
You avoided Toyota to go to Nissan? Nissan Rogues have common problems too. Not covered by recalls either.

There's no perfect manufacturer. I just don't think I would've picked a Nissan over Toyota. And I work for Nissan.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,213,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The Toyota Camry like the Honda Civic are not what they use to be but they are still very good and reliable cars. When it comes to small to mid size pickups the Tacoma is still tops, even if quality has gone down slightly. The Ford Rangers were also very reliable but they are no longer being made.
Ford Rangers were crude and simple. Average reliability. They are not as crappy as S10s or Colorados.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM

13,673 posts, read 9,749,483 times
I grew up driving Toyotas, back when they were all RWD and had carburetors. In later years they continued building quality cars, but the man-machine interface dissipated and the cars came increasingly to resemble appliances. The death knell, at least in the American market, was the cancellation of the Supra in 1996. The implication is far greater than the loss of a venerable halo sports-car; it permeates the corporate thinking. And we see that, I think, in the economy cars, the family sedans and the trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion