Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 PM

351 posts, read 694,192 times

Advertisements

Honda Odysseys also had a recent recall for a similar problem that Toyotas recently went through. The Honda's brake systems were failing. The cars were stopping without warning (Honda recalls minivans over brake issue - Nov. 3, 2013). It was a pretty big recall too. The more complicated cars are, the more problems can occur. It just sucks when it's a dangerous problem. I still like the Toyota cars. I have the highlander hybrid and never had a problem with it. I've had the 4runner and the sienna as well and did not have anything wrong with those either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
We have a 2004 Camry; nothing but maintenance and driving it. Its like my wifes 1993 Accord; drove like new when she sold it for top dollar. Meanwhile I spent numerous 500 dollar repairs of my Ford F150.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM

317 posts, read 576,982 times
Glad I did my Matrix has been through hell and its super durable unlike its American counterparts

Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,622,838 times
I sold my quickly depreciating Infiniti last month for a Camry. Love the Camry, I've owned a 4Runner and another Camry prior to this one and they were all reliable minus the head gasket issue on the 4Runner.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,018,759 times
I would definitely pick a Toyota over a Nissan!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,126,893 times
The only toyotas I like now, are the frs.
Everything else is boring.

This company made the mr2, supra, and celica. Now they make boring crap and the frs.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Yes, the CVT has taken some getting used to, especially here in hilly Pennsylvania. Thanks, will be watching for recalls. I know Nissan isn't immune to them.
Nissan recalling Pathfinder, Infiniti SUVs to fix brake fault - NBC News.com

Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Toyota delayed many months for the sticking accelerator recall. And, IIRC, paid a $16 million fine.
Yes, but "the sticking accelerator" did not stick in court because it was not sticking. See, what I lot of people don't realize is that most driving actions you take when behind the wheel are recorded by the computer.
Toyota cleared in stuck-accelerator crash verdict - Business - CBC News

But Toyota as well as several other automobile manufacturers still checked their vehicles to make sure that the driver's side floor mats used on their cars were installed properly. If installed properly, these mats won't come loose and touch the gas pedal. These mats are fastened to two points (hooks) just below the driver's seat. In the case of Toyota, this company checked all the mats under a recall. Other's did the same, but as a courtesy check instead of a recall. I had a 2009 Forester that I took to the dealer for an oil change, and the mechanics entered a notice on the paperwork stating that they checked the floor mat to make sure it was of the proper design and that it was correctly installed.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-08-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,825,290 times
My wife bought a 10 Camry a year and a half ago. It was through the first recall, the floor mat debacle. No harm no foul. We have put 30,000 miles on it since purchase with zero issues. My mother in law just purchased a new Camry, replacing their 12 year old camry with 150,000 miles on it. She kept the 02 camry for a commmuter car.

Last summer the camry took us on a 2,300 mile road trip averaging 33 MPG. This was on Montana interstate highway mountains. It was comfortable and it had enough giddy up to get us down the road.

My wife's previous car is a 99 corolla, she kept it as a second car. It now has 182,000 miles on it. I've been driving it to from work with an 80 mile round trip. I average anywhere 31 to 34 MPG... The only issue is its oil useage, which is common on that vintage.

While Toyota may not be everyones cup of tea, they serve us well.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 AM

24,514 posts, read 33,347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes, but "the sticking accelerator" did not stick in court because it was not sticking. See, what I lot of people don't realize is that most driving actions you take when behind the wheel are recorded by the computer.
Toyota cleared in stuck-accelerator crash verdict - Business - CBC News

But Toyota as well as several other automobile manufacturers still checked their vehicles to make sure that the driver's side floor mats used on their cars were installed properly. If installed properly, these mats won't come loose and touch the gas pedal. These mats are fastened to two points (hooks) just below the driver's seat. In the case of Toyota, this company checked all the mats under a recall. Other's did the same, but as a courtesy check instead of a recall. I had a 2009 Forester that I took to the dealer for an oil change, and the mechanics entered a notice on the paperwork stating that they checked the floor mat to make sure it was of the proper design and that it was correctly installed.
Then why did Toyota pay a $16 million fine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion