Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:42 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

I have a Highlander from the first year, 2001, and it routinely gets 18-19 around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
When We drove it home from the dealership on the highway the indicated mpg was pretty respectable but that is not how it is driven daily. I am just reporting the real life mileage. I do understand the issues with the short trip and all. It is just that high mileage numbers are thrown at people all the time. A large, heavy SUV is still a gas hog.
This is the price we pay for driving what we want to drive, and using the vehicles the way we want to use them. The responses so far have pretty well nailed down the issues creating the low fuel economy results. The real fact is, in that situation, with short drives on cold engine in stop-and-go traffic, the fuel economy difference between a typical sedan and a large SUV will be minimal. They will all suck.

I want to echo the sentiment of another post stating the need to occasionally get that vehicle out on the road and warm it up. Operate the vehicle at least occasionally at regular operating temps to clear the moisture, run through full range of operating temps to ensure the longevity of your vehicle.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
This is the price we pay for driving what we want to drive, and using the vehicles the way we want to use them. The responses so far have pretty well nailed down the issues creating the low fuel economy results. The real fact is, in that situation, with short drives on cold engine in stop-and-go traffic, the fuel economy difference between a typical sedan and a large SUV will be minimal. They will all suck.

I want to echo the sentiment of another post stating the need to occasionally get that vehicle out on the road and warm it up. Operate the vehicle at least occasionally at regular operating temps to clear the moisture, run through full range of operating temps to ensure the longevity of your vehicle.
Absolutely right. Driving your car for 2 hours a day does more wear than driving it for 10 minutes a day, for sure, but carbon buildup can become a big problem with cars that are only driven for short trips and never opened up on the road.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Absolutely right. Driving your car for 2 hours a day does more wear than driving it for 10 minutes a day, for sure, but carbon buildup can become a big problem with cars that are only driven for short trips and never opened up on the road.
The other problem is the moisture that gets trapped in the engine oil. Short drives never get the oil hot enough to have that water evaporate.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
My hot rod Vega with a 350 cubic inch engine and a big racing cam and a big carburator and no overdrive transmission and no electronic engine management got 11.5 MPG.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
This is the price we pay for driving what we want to drive, and using the vehicles the way we want to use them.
We absolutely did not need the size of the Highlander. The RAV4 would have suited us just fine. She is the lone driver 95% of the time. The problem is when you go to a small SUV you just don’t lose the size, you end up with a choppy ride and a noisy cabin. RAV4 has a terrible ride. Sitting in the back sounds like you are in a drum when going over highway concrete slabs. I don’t know if anybody makes a short SUV that also has a smooth ride.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
We absolutely did not need the size of the Highlander. The RAV4 would have suited us just fine. She is the lone driver 95% of the time. The problem is when you go to a small SUV you just don’t lose the size, you end up with a choppy ride and a noisy cabin. RAV4 has a terrible ride. Sitting in the back sounds like you are in a drum when going over highway concrete slabs. I don’t know if anybody makes a short SUV that also has a smooth ride.
I think what you are looking for is the dreaded wagon.

A car like ride yet lots of space in the back.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Most likely culprit is driving habit.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:09 PM

31,067 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
This is all what our new Highlander is getting. Government, or is it Toyota, says 20. There are 900 miles on the truck and is driven about 5 miles each way to work. I personally I never believed the 20 number so I am not surprised. How is this any different from the mileage SUVs got 20 years ago?
Just be happy you don't have a V8 4runner. I regularly see low 12s.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
The problem is when you go to a small SUV you just don’t lose the size, you end up with a choppy ride and a noisy cabin. RAV4 has a terrible ride. Sitting in the back sounds like you are in a drum when going over highway concrete slabs. I don’t know if anybody makes a short SUV that also has a smooth ride.
they do make small luxury suv. A wagon is the best choice for fuel economy with space & awd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion