Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 43,008 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Manhattan and I will be moving to Los Angeles in about a month. Of course, I'll need a reliable, automatic transmission car for my move there because I currently own a 2005 Lotus Elise (6 speed manual, no power steering, and fitted with insane ultra high performance summer tires... Not good for driving every day). I obviously just have it as a fun car because I don't need a car for my daily activities in NYC.

As I was visiting family back home in Philadelphia a few days ago, I drove around in my brother's 2012 Lexus RX350 and I was BLOWN AWAY by how comfortable everything about it was!
I drove over several bumpy Philly roads and it barely bothered the car. The throttle was very smooth and although I needed to press the brakes harder than I usually do, the car still felt smooth under heavy braking. It just glides to a stop without any drama.
I had so much fun driving the car simply because I could run over things without feeling them.

The seats felt like couches and even the turn signal stalk felt refined for some reason. Even the windows are quiet when they roll up or down!
The only downside is my brother's RX350 gets 17 mpg. I guess that's what Philly driving does to you. Flooring it between lights and slamming on the brakes for a red light just like everyone else.

The Lexus RX is Japanese luxury at its finest! Needless to say, I will be in the market for a certified pre-owned Lexus RX for when I move to LA. I'd prefer to have the hybrid though.

Before anyone asks, yes, I will be keeping the Lotus! I'm a car girl and I always will be. The Lexus RX will just be my daily driver.

What's the most comfortable Lexus you've been in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Really? We own 2011 RX350 with only 40K miles on it and it's bumpy like hell. My 2012 Highlander is much more comfortable.
Also, wife pulls solid around 19mpg in very uneven terrain area here. You better start watching that led foot, mate. Ain't no Lotus.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I owned a 2004 RX300 and then a 2008 RX350 and you're right, they were both great cars. Regular maintenance only, nothing ever broke. And here's a BONUS. I was sitting at a light when some texting kid rear ended me at 45 MPH. His Saturn went right under my RX and tore up his engine compartment. He also pushed me into the car in front of me. My car was totaled, but no whiplash or injury. It's a VERY safe and solid car.

The most comfortable Lexus? My new LS460. It's like driving a cloud.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Really? We own 2011 RX350 with only 40K miles on it and it's bumpy like hell. My 2012 Highlander is much more comfortable.
Also, wife pulls solid around 19mpg in very uneven terrain area here. You better start watching that led foot, mate. Ain't no Lotus.
It's my brother's car. I only drove it for a week.

Of course it's bumpy over uneven roads because most cars are... An uneven road shifts the entire car in different directions. The only way a car can be smooth on an uneven road is if it had the technology to anticipate the texture of the road with radar detectors or something. If there are just a couple bumps and pot holes in the road, the Lexus handles it very well!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I owned a 2004 RX300 and then a 2008 RX350 and you're right, they were both great cars. Regular maintenance only, nothing ever broke. And here's a BONUS. I was sitting at a light when some texting kid rear ended me at 45 MPH. His Saturn went right under my RX and tore up his engine compartment. He also pushed me into the car in front of me. My car was totaled, but no whiplash or injury. It's a VERY safe and solid car.

The most comfortable Lexus? My new LS460. It's like driving a cloud.
You're lucky to be able to get your hands on the LS460! And yes, I completely agree. Most luxury cars like Lexus and BMW are built with stuff chassis. My mom had a BMW 535i and a Dodge Neon hit her car head-on while she was stopped at a red light. The Neon wasn't going that fast but it was totaled! My mom's car just had a cracked headlight and a scratched bumper. It was crazy.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:35 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Sorry. RX350 and Highlander share same platform. Same shocks, tires, wheels. Mine is simply larger as it's 7 seater. But on same roads it's much less bumpy. Come to think, as we also owned a RX300 before we sold her and got 350, that one was much more comfortable on same roads.
But it's opinions. Glad you like the car.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky109 View Post
It's my brother's car. I only drove it for a week.

Of course it's bumpy over uneven roads because most cars are... An uneven road shifts the entire car in different directions. The only way a car can be smooth on an uneven road is if it had the technology to anticipate the texture of the road with radar detectors or something. If there are just a couple bumps and pot holes in the road, the Lexus handles it very well!
Have a pair of RX300's and a RX330 (all AWDs). What you're describing is not normal for the car. First fwiw the car comes as FWD and AWD so you need to find out which one he has. Secondly the AWD shouldn't be all over the road at all. So either his tires are overinflated, has crappy tires or both. Lastly the RX350 is not Japanese built.

If you want to try a vehicle that holds the road very well, try a Toyota Sienna XLE LTD AWD. It has the same drivetrain as my RX (and yes I have one) and drives smoothly no matter the road condition.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
If you're worried about the disappointing MPG, why not get the hybrid version?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
If you're worried about the disappointing MPG, why not get the hybrid version?
Fwiw it's $5000 extra that one will never recoup.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Fwiw it's $5000 extra that one will never recoup.
I'm buying a preowned one so this doesn't really apply. I dont buy daily drivers brand new. I only buy my "fun" car brand new and baby it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion