Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM

872 posts, read 2,028,921 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about buying a Prius or Prius C (city). While they don't have much power, they get excellent ratings in the city for fuel economy (sometimes over 55+ MPG) and since Seattle's traffic is a nightmare and since I am driving from Mercer Island to downtown Seattle, I think it would be a great way to save a LOT of money (as the Prius C's are only ~20,000).

Does anyone own either model and like to talk about the MPG you get? I heard that they turn off (engine-wise) when you come to a stop...that would be awesome for the stop and go traffic on I-5, I-90.

I was thinking about getting something with some power (Mustang, Chrysler 200 V6, Infiniti), but it doesn't really make sense to only get 20-25 miles to the gallon city when gas is 4.00 and I am already going to be paying $750 for rent ($1500 split between 2 people for 1 bedroom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
My daughter has one. I've asked her several times how she likes it and she has always said she 'loves it'. I don't know, -they seem to have a cheap feel to them when I ride it, but, that's just me I guess. She says she only has to fill the gas tank about once a month, and the tank is so small, they don't hold much gasoline, so I guess they are very economical.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM

872 posts, read 2,028,921 times
Yeah, I mean...the Prius really isn't my thing (I would normally prefer something with some power to it)...but the prices of gas and the traffic creating terrible MPG ratings...its hard to say no to 50-60 MPG.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM

507 posts, read 1,668,462 times
well, seems a sensible choice for city commuting. I drive a Prius Zipcar quite frequently and while I am not observing the mpg much (I don't pay the gas) I have no problem whatsoever with its amount of power. As long as you don't want to haul a trailer or boat or something you'll be fine in the city and on the motorway. The city is stop and go most of the time anyway and you can't go any faster than 70 on the motorway.

I reall y like driving it, feels a little like a spaceship, especially when it runs on electricity only. And yes, it turns the engine off when you stop or when you run on electricity. There's also the Honda Insight, the same principle but a little cheaper...also not quite as nice as the Prius in terms of look and feel.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
glad I found this thread....

The Prius was on my REALLY REALLY long list of cars I might one day POSSIBLY consider I like the LOOK, but I don't know A THING about them. (A co worker has two (he and his wife) but he walks like an Old Fart and talks slowly too, so I can tell he cares not a whit about acceleration, and horsepower. PLUS he even stated that just on a dollar for dollar cost it wasn't cheaper than just buying a regular fuel efficient car and paying for gas. STUPID....anyway)

From just the LITTLE I've read here and elsewhere -- thankfully -- I now know the Prius isn't for me.
I like sporty coupes...with acceleration....for looks think Mitsubishi Eclipse, Hyundai Genesis, the sporty Toyota Celica (with the pop-up headlights)
I've owned Acura RSXs for more than 15 years and before that the Integra.
So thank you all...now I know the Prius ain't -- OK, isn't -- for me!

Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Yup, I have a 2013 Prius. I like it, most of the time, perfect car for my work, I call it the "urban assault vehicle". I used to have another one, these new models are better appointed inside and feel more solid than the older ones. It is surprisingly heavy so does pretty well in snow, though with it's low clearance I wouldn't take it to the mountains during winter. The cargo storage space is very good. In the real world, the way I drive, I get about 45MPG, pretty good. I'd probably get 48-50 but I'm probably a little more aggressive (what can I say, born on the East coast) than the average Prius driver. I haven't signed up for Prius drag racing yet, though. Overall, very good car for my needs.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Prius are great vehicles. Good room, safe, nice beels and whistles, inexpensive to own and maintain and of course great mpg. Theyre no slower than other economy cars and if you cant keep up with and pass any traffic you want its the drivers fault. I drive 500- 1000+ hp cars every day for my job yet a Prius is still perfectably acceptable for me on public roads cause I know only a jackass with no regard for their and others safety would "need" more hp/speed anywhere besides a racetrack. If youre looking for an up to date economy car a prius is a good choice.
Personally Id skip a C cause they are just a lil too small, ie can get swallowed up by large potholes etc. and they do not get much, if any better mpg than the bettercstandard equiped and much larger inside normal prius.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Prius are great vehicles. Good room, safe, nice beels and whistles, inexpensive to own and maintain and of course great mpg. Theyre no slower than other economy cars and if you cant keep up with and pass any traffic you want its the drivers fault. I drive 500- 1000+ hp cars every day for my job yet a Prius is still perfectably acceptable for me on public roads cause I know only a jackass with no regard for their and others safety would "need" more hp/speed anywhere besides a racetrack. If youre looking for an up to date economy car a prius is a good choice.
Personally Id skip a C cause they are just a lil too small, ie can get swallowed up by large potholes etc. and they do not get much, if any better mpg than the bettercstandard equiped and much larger inside normal prius.
Excellent summary. The regular Prius is a superb vehicle. The Prius C doesn't get any better fuel economy, has done much worse in crash testing, and isn't enough cheaper than a regular Prius to justify buying one. Besides, the regular Prius has about as much seating room as many mid-sized cars. Fold the rear seat down and it will haul a lot.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I have a 2012 Prius and love it.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Excellent summary. The regular Prius is a superb vehicle. The Prius C doesn't get any better fuel economy, has done much worse in crash testing, and isn't enough cheaper than a regular Prius to justify buying one. Besides, the regular Prius has about as much seating room as many mid-sized cars. Fold the rear seat down and it will haul a lot.
This ^ the reg prius is actually classified as a mid size car by the epa since calculation is done by interior volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion