Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 PM

60 posts, read 56,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I could definitely understand a Mustang. 2018-2019 (and presumably 2020) model years have had considerably better reliability than earlier models.
t I heard

Thx, that's what I heard! And they told me be prepared for the talking heads to say get a 5.0 before an eco boost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:09 AM

12,554 posts, read 9,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you want sporty, not too expensive, and reliable, then you're looking at a Miata.
That's true, the Mazda Miata and the Subaru BRZ don't have the raw power of the Mustang, but they are lighter and better handling cars, plus they're less expensive.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,336,208 times
My '06 GT convertible was as reliable as a Camry. When I traded it in it had 60k miles on it and had never had anything go wrong. I didn't have to do anything special to maintain it, either, at least nothing that you wouldn't do on a Camry (regular oil changes and fluid checks). Fun cars.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another one, though I'd probably go for a 2015 50th anniversary edition convertible in Deep Impact Blue (love the detailing on the anniversary edition).

Old 03-26-2020, 07:08 AM

15,807 posts, read 20,568,705 times
All cars break. That's just the nature of the game. Sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes you get a bad one.

If you want a Mustang, get one. It's your life and you only live once.

I've owned a few Mustangs over the years. All have been reliable. The one I purchased new, I drove to 90K miles and 6 years before I sold it without doing a single repair other than routine maintenance.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM

37,241 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Quote:
That's true, the Mazda Miata and the Subaru BRZ don't have the raw power of the Mustang, but they are lighter and better handling cars, plus they're less expensive.
And the Miata is somehow quite fuel efficient and has a great reliability track record.

I unfortunately don't know much about the Subara BRZ / Toyota 86. I'm sure they're fine.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,593,272 times
If you’re not going with a 5.0 GT, then just opt for a V6 Camry.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My '06 GT convertible was as reliable as a Camry. When I traded it in it had 60k miles on it and had never had anything go wrong. I didn't have to do anything special to maintain it, either, at least nothing that you wouldn't do on a Camry (regular oil changes and fluid checks). Fun cars.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another one, though I'd probably go for a 2015 50th anniversary edition convertible in Deep Impact Blue (love the detailing on the anniversary edition).
The only thing you gotta watch for on these models (s197 4.6 3v) is the cam phasers just like the 5.4 triton but on a smaller scale. If you hear any chatter, the get it fixed right away. Also the limited diff clutches are a known defect on some models. These cars are great and can be had at a good price these days.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,625 times
Quote:
Miata and BRZ or 86 are awesome cars but what they lack is the fun factor of the 5.0 V8's torque and awesome exhaust notes. The Mustang is a fun car overall and that is why they have sold so many throughout the decades.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:41 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,939,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1717 View Post
Ive had 5 Camrys in my life. Ive gotten tired of them and think of getting a Mustang convertible..
Question, honestly.. Is Ford Mustang anywhere as good as Camry in reference to reliability??
Mustangs are very reliable cars. Always have been...…

When it comes to warranty cost per unit, Mustangs have always been one of the best in the Ford portfolio. We've had many of them in my family (I've had 3, brother had 2 & Mom had 2) and not a single problem with any of them. My brother gets the award for the longest tenure as he bought a new '94 GT and drove it until 2009! (Then he bought a Corvette Z06 which he still has.)

Old 03-27-2020, 10:11 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,162,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1717 View Post
Ive had 5 Camrys in my life. Ive gotten tired of them and think of getting a Mustang convertible..
Question, honestly.. Is Ford Mustang anywhere as good as Camry in reference to reliability??
hhhhhaahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha

Now THAT was funny. I have a Ford Shelby GT350R in my garage, under a tarp. 2018 model. Nice car, incredible 5.2 L flat-plane crank V8. Normally aspirated. Think of it as a Mustang GT 5.0 with vastly updated engine, real clutch (Tremic six speed), Brembo brakes and rotors, and real running gear. But it's fundamentally a Mustang, too.

Unfortunately, a certain chunk of the GT350 engines toss themselves apart, usually in slow motion: start burning oil, noises, etc. with the occasional seize-up if the marginal oil pump cuts loose. Stem to stern, they break more often than I'd like. Not 'bad' so much as 'well that's kind of stupid!" The details are still a bit cheap, and maybe two generations away from BMW M3 or Mercedes GT. Neither of those hold together real well, either, to be clear: only exotic brand I trust is Porsche, after two 911s.

I'm keeping my Shelby, it's an unusual beast with low mileage and incredibly competent on the road. Astounding looks, too. But it's a special thing, nothing I'd DD (though some do). Basically a race car.

I had a Tacoma for 11 years. It broke seldom if-ever. I traded it for a 6 year old Land Cruiser w/85K miles that feels barely broken in, they are 500K mile trucks before major systems are worn out. Tacomas routinely hit 200-300K without trouble, if not more.

Camrys, not far behind all that. They're at or near the top of all VALID passenger car reliability studies over a five year period. If I needed a somewhat-sporty sedan, I'd be on one in a second. I don't and won't, but rented one out of O'Hare couple years ago and was hugely impressed that a Camry could be 'sporty'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion