Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me wonder what people think they should actually be paid for doing manual labor?!? The fact is that the UAW workers make alot more money than they really should. Some of those guys are pulling down $80 or $100K for assembly line work. Granted some of that is overtime pay, but that's a hell of a lot more than most college-educated office workers, myself included. $11 actually sounds about right to me for manual temp work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Default $81 dollars an hour?

If this thread is supposed to generate any sympathy for the autoworkers of any of the Big 3, I want you to know I have the worlds smallest violin right now, playing you a tune. I can't feel sorry for autoworkers making $81 dollars an hour...minus benefits, comes to $41 dollars an hour. People are not going to spend 30K-45K on an American made car with spotty reliability---especially when most people can't afford their prices. We don't have any GM, Ford or Chrysler plants in the northeast, so I can understand the concern coming from the rustbelt. I used to work for AT&T during the deregulation years, and we were forced to keep our prices 10% above what the competitors (MCI & Sprint) were offering; we also had to lease our own equipment to them at a loss.

I used to work with a woman that always drove Corvettes. She told me that when her warranty was about to expire, GM would offer her an extension if she would pay $1500 or so; I think it did include a deductable. Imagine, GM making a profit offering a customer a warranty over fears of the dreaded high cost of Corvette repairs. Cadillacs often have solid 4 digit repair bills as well. I have also heard, that the Big 3 will often not even honor their own warranties, conniving customers into believing "that a particular part" or whatever is not covered. Most dealerships treat their customers terrible. All they want is the sale.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
This thread makes me wonder what people think they should actually be paid for doing manual labor?!? The fact is that the UAW workers make alot more money than they really should. Some of those guys are pulling down $80 or $100K for assembly line work. Granted some of that is overtime pay, but that's a hell of a lot more than most college-educated office workers, myself included. $11 actually sounds about right to me for manual temp work

Are you entitled to more simply because you went to college? That was your choice. So many people today go to college that it's no longer a sign that somebody is smart, ambitious and hard working. It's kind of an "average" thing today and done by average people.

In any event the solution to your problem is for you to organize a union and bring your wages up. You might find that more satisfying than bringing the other guy down.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Are you entitled to more simply because you went to college? That was your choice. So many people today go to college that it's no longer a sign that somebody is smart, ambitious and hard working. It's kind of an "average" thing today and done by average people.

In any event the solution to your problem is for you to organize a union and bring your wages up. You might find that more satisfying than bringing the other guy down.
I may have come across the wrong way but entitlement or bringing someone else down is not what I meant. Traditionally an education warrants a more lucrative job. The auto union may not fit that mold but lots of other similar jobs do.

What I meant was that if everyone made $100K, skilled, unskilled, assembly worker, high-level accountant, Walmart checker, what have you... then no one makes $100K.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Looks like dad is at it again.........he's been asking this on some of the boards he frequents...............

I always wondered how Toyota is operated. They are often considered the benchmark of the auto industry. I posed the question on a message board, asking if anyone knew anything about Toyota's transplant operations in the US. A Toyota employee answered. The information supplied to me is below.

"Toyota's workforce here in the states is about 40% temporary employees. These people make $11 an hour and have NO benefits. They keep this status for two or three years, then they become official Toyota employees. Some people never get their status changed and become full time Toyota employees. Some get laid off and are never called back."

If anyone has any additional information or finds that what I have written is not accurate, please comment below. I am depending on the truthfulness of the individual who gave me this information.
I don't think the above is an accurate description of the Toyota NUMMI plant in Fremont CA... I have no idea about other Toyota plants in other states.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't think the above is an accurate description of the Toyota NUMMI plant in Fremont CA... I have no idea about other Toyota plants in other states.
I think NUMMI is UAW because it's a joint venture w/GM, so that could be why.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I love NUMMI cars....I have 3 Vibes and 2 Prizms.

It's the best of both worlds...I "buy American" but I get Toyotas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion