Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Painting is a way of coating something... whether its anodized, electroplated, evaporated, sputtered, painted, rolled or whatever, they are all coatings.

They have been painting/spraying/coating/(whatever you want to call it) frames since vehicles started being mass produced. Its the only way to protect metal. Even stainless can be destroyed if the outer monolayer is damaged.
Yes, I'm aware of what can happen to stainless if the outer layer is damaged or compromised.

I'm also aware that "painting" and "coating" are not interchangeable. I suspect you are too but think somehow you'll save more face by pretending not to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,731,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm also aware that "painting" and "coating" are not interchangeable. I suspect you are too but think somehow you'll save more face by pretending not to be.
Dude whatever! I'm not going to get into this little grammar contest of yours any further. Someone seemed to think that Toyotas "over here" undergo a different COATING process then ones elsewhere. So perhaps he is alluding that the frame PAINTS/COATINGS are different or perhaps are applied differently. Fact of the matter relating to the OP that this is more than likely a COATING problem as corrosion is almost always initiated by a COATING error. Once again Toyota has a severe blunder just like everyone else... they are really slipping these days.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times
Quote:
Dude whatever! I'm not going to get into this little grammar contest of yours any further.
It wasn't my "contest," it was your insistence that a word meant something it didn't.

Quote:
Someone seemed to think that Toyotas "over here" undergo a different COATING process then ones elsewhere. So perhaps he is alluding that the frame PAINTS/COATINGS are different or perhaps are applied differently. Fact of the matter relating to the OP that this is more than likely a COATING problem as corrosion is almost always initiated by a COATING error. Once again Toyota has a severe blunder just like everyone else... they are really slipping these days.
See, now was that so hard?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It wasn't my "contest," it was your insistence that a word meant something it didn't.
??? What, so paint is not a type of coating... is that what your trying to prove to everyone? Have you never heard of applying coats of paint?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,271,495 times
I had a 2000 Toyota Tundra 4WD V8 in 2007-08 and it had NO rust at all on the frame, but it was a southern truck. I have actually been looking for another.

I also had a 1984 Toyota 4wd that had a totally rust free frame, but again, it was a southern truck... I guess where its from makes a difference as well.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,897,921 times
This discussion has turned into a little catfight

Anyway...
Don't know about Toyota's rust problem, but over the years, I've replaced more rusted and rotted fuel and brake lines on Ford and GM trucks ( and a number of Ford cars) than I care to think about.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
This discussion has turned into a little catfight
There is no place for an english professor on an internet forum.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 PM

941 posts, read 3,917,354 times
First the Tacoma, now the Tundra?

Who makes the frames for Toyota, anyway?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,271,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I had a 2000 Toyota Tundra 4WD V8 in 2007-08 and it had NO rust at all on the frame, but it was a southern truck. I have actually been looking for another.
Here are photos I had taken of my 2000 Tundra in December of 2006. As you can see, the underside was in excellent condition... couple of small areas of surface rust...

Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,808,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
First the Tacoma, now the Tundra?

Who makes the frames for Toyota, anyway?
Gee you know so much why are you even asking? Guess you're not as smart as you make yourself out to be huh? Doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion