Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
Toyota was once a great car comapny that built a great car for a fair price. Today, they have lost their way. They were so concerned about taking the number 1 spot away from GM as the worlds largest car maker that they started to ignore what made them sucessful: quality and reliable cars. This is going to be a big blow to their reputation.
There biggest mistake was when they started making their cars in the US. Our workers have no pride anymore and only care about going home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
you see, but this doesn't sound safe to do in many situations, either

lets see....if the car starts going on its own, put the car in neutral and come to a stop. all while remembering to flash your hazards, checking traffic around you, and praying no one behind / around you goes slamming into you as your car rolls helplessly to a stop

how safe is that?
Safer than accelerating out of control with the throttle stuck WFO thru traffic.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
This recall had something to do with the floor mat and the gas pedal too, right? If so, then why not get rid of the floor mat until you get a recall taken care of? If I'm wrong, ignore me!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
There biggest mistake was when they started making their cars in the US. Our workers have no pride anymore and only care about going home.
That could very well be true, but the faulty throttle mechanism was designed in Japan -- so we can't blame this failure on line workers.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
This recall had something to do with the floor mat and the gas pedal too, right? If so, then why not get rid of the floor mat until you get a recall taken care of? If I'm wrong, ignore me!
the way Toyota explains it, there are two seperate issues here. One is the gas pedal sticking on the floormat, the other is the pedal sticking on its own. According to their recall, some vehicles (including the Camry, I believe) are affected by BOTH. so no, just removing the floormats does not alleviate the issue.

Mike

Old 01-28-2010, 10:55 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Grossly inaccurate generalizations aside, if you honestly think the issue with this is the guy on the floor turning a wrench, I have a bridge to sell you.

Mike

Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Quote:

... because if it truly was an American assembly issue, then why does Toyota have to cease sales in Europe and China right now too?

If it was a supplier issue (CTS), then why don't the other makes have the same "stuck throttle" issue? Likewise, the frame rust issue on the trucks ... if it was a supplier issue, then how come the other makes that buys their frames from Dana don't crumbled when exposed to salt?

It's a straight up design/specification issue from Toyota ... and now they're going to have to be responsible. They've shielded the public from the real issues for too long now.

In the early part of the decade, engine sludge was a big issue ... Made in Japan, made in USA ... it didn't matter. Toyota's take was that it's the consumer's fault for not changing the oil enough ... until the deluge of folks who had every service record, done by the book, all at the dealer, have the issue.

Like telling lies, there will come a time in which the truth catches up. That time is now, Toyota.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
interesting tidbit. where did you read that?

Mike
A Toyota messageboard. Some of the members checked to determine whether they had the CTS pedal, and it turns out Japanese Toyotas use Denso-supplied pedals. The Lexus ES350, Prius, and others are manufactured in Japan, so they use Denso pedals...yet these same vehicles have had claims of unintended acceleration. Logic says that the CTS pedals are not the problem. I still think it's the drive-by-wire system or a software glitch.

Last edited by mustang84; 01-28-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Forget about getting out of the lease. It ant goin to happen. The salesman that made money off of you has already spent the money. lol

Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy1019 View Post
Good Morning All,
Last week I purchased a 2006 Highlander from a state auction in Greensboro, NC. Paid cash and already have titile...what are your thoughts on trying to get out of this vehicle, trade-in at a dealership or should I just hold on to it and see what happens?? The only year they've annouced at this time is the 2010 model however, the investigation has just begun...undoubtably they will find more corruption with other vehicles.
Thanks,
Susan
I bought a 2008 highlander about a year ago. I've had no issues with it and am not running scared just yet. If they do a recall, I will take it in, get it fixed and continue driving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion