Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Lets make sure we focus the blame where it should go, Toyota, not the innocent victims.
You do realize that Ford has far more safety recalls than Toyota. In fact, safety recalls for Ford represents 34% of all safety recalls while Toyota ranked 5th or 6th with only 11%. This whole thing has gotten way out of control, and I believe much of it is political. Even Congress is acting like Toyota has been found guilty of wrongdoing when the lawsuits haven't even reached the discovery stage yet. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
You do realize that Ford has far more safety recalls than Toyota. In fact, safety recalls for Ford represents 34% of all safety recalls while Toyota ranked 5th or 6th with only 11%. This whole thing has gotten way out of control, and I believe much of it is political. Even Congress is acting like Toyota has been found guilty of wrongdoing when the lawsuits haven't even reached the discovery stage yet. Amazing.
It's not that fact or even total number of recalls that really matters. It's the manner in which they are handled. Had Toyota come out upfront and said they had this sudden acceleration problem and weren't sure of the cause, people would have had a lot more respect for them since they were being honest. Saying it was the floormat and then saying it was the accelerator pedal and not coming clean is what has caused the huge uproar. It always pays to be honest.

**I cannot type today at all, so please disregard all my freaking typos.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 02-24-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
It's not that fact or even total number of recalls that really matters. It's the manner in which they are handled. Had Toyota come out upfront and said they had this sudden acceleration problem and weren't sure of the cause, poeple would have had a lot more respect for them since they were being honest. Saying it was the floormat and then saying it was the accelerator pedal and not coming clean is what has caused the huge uproar. It always pays to be honest.
Let's put our Federal agency (NHTSA) in the mix also! They are the ones that require recalls if the car makers don't do it themselves.

You have probably heard the testimony that Toyota's engineers have not be able to duplicate the UA. You have also probably heard that Exponent (used by NASA to find out what caused the Columbia tradegy) has not been able to duplicate the UA. I also believe there is a problem with the ECU, but until the actual problem can be identified - nothing can be done. Toyota has decided to flash what ECUs it can to put brake overrides in the software package. But that still does not explain the UA complaints. They're trying to find a problem, but can't thus far. What else can be done?

Last edited by highcotton; 02-24-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:44 PM

If anyone wants to hear testimony from drivers (or families) that have experienced UA it is on C-SPAN3 right now.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
If anyone wants to hear testimony from drivers (or families) that have experienced UA it is on C-SPAN3 right now.
I wish I was near or had access to a tv right now.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
The only time the steering wheel will lock is if the transmission is put into Park. Slipping the gearshift into neutral and turning off the key, or killing the engine by holding in the pushbutton on newer cars, will not lock the steering wheel.
Interesting about the push buttons. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Can you imagine the odds of four different and isolated systems (ECU, transmission, brakes, parking brake) all failing simultaneously that all prevented you from stopping? No way!!!!!!!!!!
What's your source for claiming they are isolated?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 23,786 times
Quote:
Can you imagine the odds of four different and isolated systems (ECU, transmission, brakes, parking brake) all failing simultaneously that all prevented you from stopping? No way!!!!!!!!!!

So what does that have to do with people suddenly accelarating into traffic, off the road because they were too fast for a corner, into a wall.....however they died? Were you thinking that they should have realized....'oh, my car's ECU may be bad, I must do X....oh, X didn't work, I must do Y...oh Y didn't work, I must do Z ' in the seconds before they died? I bet all the isolated systems didn't matter because people were going "WTF!" right before death.

Hey, you're stopped at a crosswalk waiting for someone to cross the street. Suddenly, your car runs them over. Maybe you should have put the car in neutral? Took the key out of the ignition? No way!!!!!, there's like at least 4 isolated systems to keep that from happening right?

Just how much time do you think people that were killed by their toyota's or killed others with their toyota's had to figure any of this out and respond? How long has people made claims about it....ones that survived and told Toyota **** was bjorked? And Toyota did nothing but say...can't be duplicated. Is that a good enough answer for you? How about if many people kept on telling them that and they still say....'can't be duplicated' . So if you get a bunch of reports that tell you really life threatening things are wrong with your product, but you can't duplicate the problem, then obviously there is no problem? I mean, what else are they suppose to do?

Also, all the recent claims that this was the cause of death for others.....maybe they didn't know where to point the finger before, but with all that has come out, it doesn't mean that they aren't pointing the finger in the correct direction.

Last edited by LosingBattle; 02-25-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What's your source for claiming they are isolated?
Common knowledge that any mechanic or auto buff would know.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingBattle View Post
So what does that have to do with people suddenly accelarating into traffic, off the road because they were too fast for a corner, into a wall.....however they died? Were you thinking that they should have realized....'oh, my car's ECU may be bad, I must do X....oh, X didn't work, I must do Y...oh Y didn't work, I must do Z ' in the seconds before they died? I bet all the isolated systems didn't matter because people were going "WTF!" right before death.

Hey, you're stopped at a crosswalk waiting for someone to cross the street. Suddenly, your car runs them over. Maybe you should have put the car in neutral? Took the key out of the ignition? No way!!!!!, there's like at least 4 isolated systems to keep that from happening right?

Just how much time do you think people that were killed by their toyota's or killed others with their toyota's had to figure any of this out and respond? How long has people made claims about it....ones that survived and told Toyota **** was bjorked? And Toyota did nothing but say...can't be duplicated. Is that a good enough answer for you? How about if many people kept on telling them that and they still say....'can't be duplicated' . So if you get a bunch of reports that tell you really life threatening things are wrong with your product, but you can't duplicate the problem, then obviously there is no problem? I mean, what else are they suppose to do?

Also, all the recent claims that this was the cause of death for others.....maybe they didn't know where to point the finger before, but with all that has come out, it doesn't mean that they aren't pointing the finger in the correct direction.
More than one of these accidents happened on Interstate highways where the driver or passenger had enough time to call 9-1-1 or spouse. Those are the ones I'm talking about.

If the problem cannot be duplicated it may not be a good answer, but you can't just create an answer that's incorrect out-of-the-blue! They're trying to find the problem. Multiple sources are trying, including the company that was hired by NASA to find the cause of the Columbia tradegy. Others are invited to find Toyota's problem. Can't find it yet. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe never. What in hell do you want them to do...other than try to find the cause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion