Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Ummm actually Ford did not address the problem until about 200 people had died and hundreds more were injured. And add to the fact that those tires were used on other Suv's with no problems leads to believe that it was the design of the explorer than help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Ummm actually Ford did not address the problem until about 200 people had died and hundreds more were injured. And add to the fact that those tires were used on other Suv's with no problems leads to believe that it was the design of the explorer than help.
Correct, the issue was with Ford not firestone. Many more accidents were caused by that issue than whatever is happening to Toyota.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
According to federal data and safety ratings, the four-door Explorer's rollover record is pretty typical of midsize SUVs. If the Explorer design was to blame, then the design of all other SUV's are flawed as well.

More people died because the tires were blowing out at a faster rate than the Toyota vehicles are experiencing acceleration problems. Still doesn't change the fact that Toyota knew about this problem for years, tried to pass the buck, people died, Toyota was still going to sell defective cars until they were forced not to. etc.

Let's just say Ford doesn't exist. Does that make Toyota right?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
When I was shopping for a (used) Lincoln Town Car I came across a forum and one subject in there was "how many miles on your Town Car."

Here are some of the replies...

'92 TC---------- 267,000
'94 TC---------- 264,000

(The same owner for the cars below)
'99 TC---------- 250,000
'95 TC---------- 352,000
'94 TC---------- 450,000
'90 TC---------- 402,843
'89 TC---------- 470,000

Also:
'95 TC Cartier--- 495,000

My doctor told me he owned an '89 and '99 Town Car. The '89 racked up 255,000 miles.

The local police cars and taxi cabs use the same engine that the Town Car has and they are known as very rugged and reliable engine.

American cars can and do rack up very high miles.

And, the Lincoln Town Cars are the first cars to get 5 stars in all areas of safety tests. They have a full frame (body-on-frame); Toyotas have unitized bodies.

Also, the GM LT1 engine is said to be a 500,000 mile engine due to the reverse coolant flow.
There are stories that go the other way as well. Like my grandmas town car that blew a rod at 56K.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Having a car hit 200,000 miles or 300,000 miles tells me very little about reliability.

How much money in repairs ( and replacement parts) you stuck into that car when you achieve that milestone defines reliability.

That is the advantage Toyota has.
Since the taxi cabs and police cars which use the Ford 4.6 L engine have proven reliability records, it looks like Ford has the advantage.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
The difference with the Explorer is that the problem was due to faulty tires made by Firestone. The Explorers with Goodyear tires did not blow out. An SUV is more prone to rollovers due to a higher center of gravity, and the Explorer was found no more prone to roll over than any other SUV.

And Ford addressed the problem ASAP. Way different than the Toyota debacle where it was actually a problem with the vehicle itself, and they covered up and denied for years.

If your gonna nail Ford and others for it don't give Toyota a free ride. That's the point I wanted to make.
I'm not giving Toyota a free ride. The Explorer also recommended relatively low tire pressure. The Firestone tires were clearly a contributor.

Don't think for an instant Ford responded right away.

You ignored the 4.5M Ford vehicles manufactured since 1995 with a defective cruise control. How long did it take Ford to figure that out?

What about GM's problems with fires in the 3.8L 6 cylinder engine?

Historically I think you will find that every carmarker has been guilty of burying their head in the sand on safety problems.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
There are stories that go the other way as well. Like my grandmas town car that blew a rod at 56K.
But the small sample I showed does show that they have very good overall reliability records.
No such thing as a car company having 100% perfect cars.

My '95 Town Car has 120,000 miles and the (original, non-rebuilt) engine runs fine... very smooth- probably as smooth as it was when new.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Having a car hit 200,000 miles or 300,000 miles tells me very little about reliability.

How much money in repairs ( and replacement parts) you stuck into that car when you achieve that milestone defines reliability.

That is the advantage Toyota has.
That's the claim. Never seen it documented though. All I know is that the American cars I have owned and driven never needed major repairs, except for one junky Taurus. Based on my experience, I would say that the claim is not true.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
There are stories like that for Toyota too, so I'm missing the point.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Wewll thoase boring cars seem to sale vwery well and loing at other majopr brands they seem to look uch like the last toyota and honda models.Reliailty has been the reaosn so many changed and even with the recall which wouldn't be a surprise on tother brands :I think they will keeep selling.Like my wife 15 years of relible honda and toyota;this problem is not enough to erase the big 3 lemons in the shop constantly.As she sadi I have had vehicles unable to be driven for weeks at a time at the dealers then had to bring them right back with teh lemons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion