Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Never have. They are boring and plain, and offer nothing when it comes to fun driving at all, save the excellent and lamented MR-2 Spyder.

Toyota is a very mainstream car now but they used to make supercar like vehicles like the mark IV Supra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
no doubt about it the car was great

toyota doesn't do this anymore, it seems. not for the public. how is their racing division? they have that new Lexus supercar coming out. but thats not for us, either

Old 04-10-2010, 07:11 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well OP, I must say that I will not voluntarily choose to buy a Toyota. We owned one reluctantly back in the 80's and that was one too many for me.

I know there are a lot of fans out there and Toyota is a decent car. I just don't think the brand is all that people hype them up to be.
This is exactly what I think

Toyota is definitely overhyped

But so are Honda and Nissan, and all the Japanese and Korean manufacturers. Those words come from a Nissan owner.

I have always like cars and got way more into it after I bought my 03 Altima (also my first car) in March 2009, and after replacing the motor due to the pre cat failure (go ahead and laugh) the car has been absolutely amazing

I have nothing against Toyota, I have just enver found any of their cars to be appealing, except the old Supras. Still I'd prefer a Skyline GTR-R34 over a Supra

Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
no doubt about it the car was sweet
man I have not seen a MR2 in along time they were nice cars

Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
I never have or never will like Toyota.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
All my life I have never liked Toyota or found their cars very appealing. I understand mechanical reliability is probably of utmost importance, and up until recently Toyota has been real good at that.
...Perhaps its because I am still young and how a car looks is important to me but dont people have any taste or sense of style? Even with all the recall issues I still see Toyotas EVERYWHERE on the roads when I am out driving. I mean dont people have a desire to be different and not boring and gray like Toyota and their cars? Its like watching these convoys of Camries, Corollas, Priuses, and Rav-4's on the road

Does anybody else here not like Toyotas cars, or am I just weird?
You might be too young to remember the good Toyotas, like the early Celicas, the MR2, the Supras, the earlier and smaller 4Runners and trucks. Toyota had a lot of character in the 80s but lost it in the 90s and 00s as the brand became pretty stale. The upcoming FT-86 based hatchback and the new CEO's desire to start making fun Toyotas again should bring back some of that old charm.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmmm. Now that I am out of the car thing I have some perspective. To say Toyota's are boring... is to say Honda's and their derivatives (Acura, Lexus, Infinit, etc) are also boring. Newer models from American marques are adopting curvier more European lines and there is a Ford that is a dead ringer for a Passat out there... IOW they are all the same! Why pick on Toyota?
This is a good point. Hondas are also boring. And underpowered to boot.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmmm. Now that I am out of the car thing I have some perspective. To say Toyota's are boring... is to say Honda's and their derivatives (Acura, Lexus, Infinit, etc) are also boring. Newer models from American marques are adopting curvier more European lines and there is a Ford that is a dead ringer for a Passat out there... IOW they are all the same! Why pick on Toyota?

It's not based on the looks of the car, it's based on the feel and drive of the car.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
All my life I have never liked Toyota or found their cars very appealing. I understand mechanical reliability is probably of utmost importance, and up until recently Toyota has been real good at that.

But I have never liked the styling of their cars, I find most of them bland and uninteresting. They are getting better at it, but still all of their cars just scream "boring" to me. The 2010 Camry SE look good though with its more sporty look and alloy rims compared with the normal Camry LE but thats about it

Perhaps its because I am still young and how a car looks is important to me but dont people have any taste or sense of style? Even with all the recall issues I still see Toyotas EVERYWHERE on the roads when I am out driving. I mean dont people have a desire to be different and not boring and gray like Toyota and their cars? Its like watching these convoys of Camries, Corollas, Priuses, and Rav-4's on the road

I own a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, which even as old as it is, it is still eye-catching to many people. I usually get complements on the chrome tail-lights, among other things. My car looks and runs like brand new because of how I keep it. But I am not biased against Toyota because I drive a Nissan. I have NEVER liked Toyota even long before I bought my car

Does anybody else here not like Toyotas cars, or am I just weird?
If you had two or three cars I bet you'd be more open to owning a "grey" car. Sometimes you just need to get from point A to B, want it to get you there reliabily and don't want to worry about attracting attention or whether someone's gonna mess with it while it's parked on the street. For that my Corolla works admirably. I think Toyota sold a lot of boring cars for that reason.

Your second car can be a high performance, testosterone pumping machine that you can supposedly tell the world who you are with, and baby yet still keep safe by not using it as a daily driver. Luckily you're rich, huh?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Life's too short to drive boring cars. If you can afford either a fun car or a Corolla, you should get the fun car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion