Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times

Advertisements

My brother is going to be in England over the 4th of July, and he wants to read the US Declaration of Independence at Speaker's Square. He thought it would be a good tribute to the USA on her "birthday" and he figured that even though it's against England for its time period the English today would not mind it as they feel a kinship with Americans.

A few people have told him that he could get arrested for doing this, though, so now he might not. I told him that they wouldn't arrest him, from what I understand there are muslims who say much worse things about England in Speaker's Square. But people insist that he'll get into trouble. I think at worst people will just be like "Oh, just another nut spouting off..." and at the most they'll shake their heads and walk off or just ignore him.

So, anyone have any insight as to whether this is a wise or dumb move? Any validity to what people are saying, that England is intolerant of free speech if it's anti-English? Or should he be fine if he does it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Are you talking about Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park?
I can't imagine your brother getting arrested for reading the Constitution.
It might be a relief compared to some of the things said there!
I've been there a couple times, and there were people speaking freely about fairly outlandish topics. I know that religion is a popular topic there, but it was not the only one.
I did see a guy get arrested there once, and it turned out the reason was he was distributing some sort of flyer, which was illegal.
This man was arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin.
On one of the days I was there, a guy was speaking on the same topic (homosexuality), but nothing happened to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel